1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tappet Adjustment

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by emby, Feb 19, 2011.

1. 77dual

77dual Member

Think I'll just stick with what the manual recommended in terms of settings. Especially for a relative beginner like me!

It's always good to have plenty of info though, I did read through a few different threads on setting tappets and this one seemed easiest to understand.

2. KombiMadness

KombiMadness Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't grab a beer but i read the thread. Very interesting stuff and certainly can't disregard the posts by Glenn & Raby - these guys know what they're talking about with decades of experience...

However, they are talking about custom aircooled engines with lots of 'expensive' bits and hand built to precise tolerances. OEM VW engines were a bit more 'slap n dash', mass produced.... still, very interesting!

3. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

True, maybe i should post it in the "Performance" thread.

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I think that VW have built more engines than any US engine builder.

The change from .004" to .006" was because owners were burning valves. If they do open up when warm, well that's what they have been designed to do and the .006" is what has been compensated for.

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

I've started something here:D

[​IMG]

6. DakDak67

DakDak67 Guest

Okay.................................. :wtf:

7. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  8. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

hey Tom,

Many thanks for that video link. Like so many people, I tend to take a healthy and functioning rear end, for granted. But when it lets you down, you really know about it.
    The video, reminded me of my first sex education video, a couple of years ago. It was such an eye-opener!
    I am so impressed now, with my new found knowledge, that just like I did after the sex education video, I want to go out and practice my new found knowledge. I just hope, that I am a little more successful, that I was after the sex education video.
    Anyhow…….This is not to brag about my delusions of adequacy….I just wanted to say… Thanks!…….And if you have any more videos like that, please post them (or brown paper bag to my office)
    warm regards
    JD in Adelaide:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2013
  9. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Great stuff Tom!! Simple, yes, but it gets the message across in terms that (almost) everyone could understand.
    Cheers, Mark

10. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

JD you will notice that my ttmck has popped up on your post as an edit i appogise in humble terms, i dam well pressed the wrong button, Thank god it was not the torrens weir gate button.
    Now it just happens to why i pressed the button was to reply to your request of a brown paper bag it just so happens i can come to your aid so expect it when you least expect it Cheers Tom.

11. chewtah

chewtah Guest

The only thing I could add is maybe adjust as described, drive for a few days and check again. The better they are adjusted the better the engine goes!

12. dean0

dean0 New Member

Great thread!

I am looking at my distributor, it has the bulb on the side, but it is mounted 90 degrees anti to the one in the photos! What does this mean!!? Do I need to adapt the steps?

The notch still seems to put cylinder one at TDC but I am not experienced enough to be sure.

Thanks!

13. dean0

dean0 New Member

Those videos are gold.

14. Bay_watch

Bay_watch New Member

Hi guys,
    Long time lurker but first time poster here. I'm actually Markus' (KombiMadness) son, who I think the original post was intended for, and I've just bought my first Kombi, a '75 Microbus 1800, about a month ago and I've just decided to try to adjust the tappets. Didn't get very far until I hit a few road blocks so I've got a few questions.
    Do I use the timing scale and the notch in the pulley OR the rotor arm and the notch in the distributor body? They don't line up at the same time so I'm a bit confused.
    I've tried both methods and still am stuck because the feeler gauge just won't slip through. So I loosened the adjustment screw off and it still didn't fit. A little more and it still wouldn't fit through and that's when I knew something was wrong because I'd backed the screw off a solid 3-4 turns, the rocker arm wobbled when I moved it but the gauge would not fit through!?!
    Am I doing something completely wrong?
    I've followed this guide step by step and also "Valve Adjustment for Smarties" by Schmoburger and still I'm lost...
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Jaye