The Canberra Story...

Discussion in 'The First national Kombi Club Bus Stop 2007' started by melissa, Apr 9, 2007.

1. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

This will be the start of many posts as members make their way home and back to their computers.

IT WAS THE BEST WEEKEND!!!!! :)
    I won't go through every detail of the trip down, it was mainly uneventful for us, but we arrived at the caravan park at 4PM to find a circle of Kombis had taken over the camping field! It looked great and the tent was receiving it's finishing touch of the Kombi Club banner.
    Ran around introducing myself and then we met up in the camp kitchen for dinner. They told me it fitted 60 but they must have been 60 very skinny people!!! We made our way down to the camp tent later that night...actually I don't remember too much about that night...I was way too tired.
    So Saturday morning the Kombis started rolling out for the mystery cruise...you were given a sheet at the gate then told to follow the directions and answer questions so you ended up where lunch was going to be.....MY EARS WERE BURNING.... I think if tar and feathers were handy I may have been wearing them...:rolleyes:
    Saturday afternoon was free time so my family went to Questacon.
    Saturday night...ahhh...now here it gets funny...everyone was told to get your own dinner and then turn up at the hall (the hall was available at a cost and its originally about $400 but they gave it to us for $200 if we cleaned up. Thanks Roy for paying for that..it was a much better place than the camp kitchen) with their funny hats or wigs and be ready for trivia questions.
    Some answers were very funny (and embarrassing...Tom?...KG??? ;) ) Some hats were very creative..balloons..lampshade..clucking chicken..pictures of kombis..everyone knew I was off to the races..
    Then we got down to some suprise awards...these were called
    THE BS AWARDS (bus stop, thank you:p ) and they came with a little gold plastic trophy...some winning catergories were;

The Tool-less Mechanic with No Knob- Tom (I didnt even have to call his name!)
    The Kombi Thief- Andy (for pinching Roys splittie)
    The Dog House Award - Roy (Where's Me Bus???)
    Best last Minute Makeover - Necro (for his pop top and awning)
    The Kombi-Less Camper - Baz (for turning up to camp overnight with a Ford!)
    The Running on Empty Award - Mafti (for you guessed it...)
    Best Cover up Award- Bog Beast
    Making The Biggest effort to Get There- Tas Deb (representing Tassie)
    There were others but I forget right now..oops
    We finished the awards and moved onto a little first aid kit supplied by Doc..I was crying with laughter at some of the little "items" that were to be handed out...I am hoping someone else took some more photos, not just of Roys suppositories episode..LOL poor Roy..he is not looking forward to seeing those shots..so enjoy them while you can cause you know he can delete them..
    Sunday morning we lined up for a photo..we had lost a couple to go to The Nationals but still managed to get 32 in the photo! Amazing work everyone.
    Sunday at 11.30am we went for a convoy into Canberra and to a nice park called Weston Park . We managed to travel almost all the way together and no one got left behind. The people's faces were just priceless ..you could see them standing still on sidewalks and in the parks as we drove past just staring and smiling (amazing how Kombis make people smile). We found a carpark to oursleves, well almost to ourselves which was pretty amazing considering how busy a day it was..that poor Volvo driver who must have parked his car with almost no other cars to come back and find himself surrounded..not sure if he noticed but he left with a little present ..he is now a member of the Kombi Club...with a sticker to prove it...the Parks Department had told there were lots of BBQ's in that park ...well..it would have been nice if all of those BBQ's actually worked..or that we had got there before an Indian family decided to cook a 17 course banquet on the only BBQ that was working...oh well.. it was a beautiful day (got a bit sunburnt!) and everyone had a really nice picnic in the park.
    A few of us then went for a drive up to Black Mountain and you can see the pictures and video of that already on here. We then cruised back to the park.
    Sunday evening was a bit of a get together in the camp kitchen which turned into a late one. The Kombi races (pull back models) were a hoot...Mafti got disqualified cause his was modified LOL.. Dave you were represented by Filmore but you just kept getting in the way ..Ruth's yellow splittie had a Tommy tune and took off!!! and Kieren tried to smash the glass door by launching his of fthe end of the table. The Toy Races will be a definite goer for next year.
    I forgot to say the Easter Bunny came and hid some eggs for the Kombi Kids...
    Monday morning was pack up and head off.
    I think the weekend was a total success...we only had one clutch cable break and that was fixed by our very capable members (well done guys!!!) and I hope everyone made it home safely. I passed the Qld/Nthrn NSW crew on the way home.
    NEXT YEAR WILL BE BIGGER AND BETTER...if possible.

2. Doc

Doc Active Member

Thanks Melissa, better get those photos up soon before the rev gets home. How were the sleeping accomodations for Mrs Rev did Roy get caught out?

3. melissa

Well Mr and Mrs Rev had to spend the first night in a tent but then upgraded to a luxury cabin for the rest of the stay....he will never ever never ever never ever never ever do that again ;)

Why do you think he got the Doghouse award???? LOL

4. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Melissa - you must have "Kombi blinkers" on... it was a Holden! :p :)

Seriously, I just wanted to thank you and Roy and all your helpers for organising such a great event. I had a ball, even though I only stayed Sat night. I will definitely be going again - with a Kombi, this time! :D

Actually, I was so inspired by some of the buses I saw, I raced home to work on mine on Sunday arvo!...

Baz

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  5. jerrys_bus

jerrys_bus Active Member

Well I think that is the clean version !!!!!! Plenty of practical jokes and Kombi rocking.......... You know who you are
    We had a great weekend. Lots of great photos to post soon as we unpack the Kombi. We joined the convoy heading north from Canberra and left early. Had a fantastic, quick run home and missed all the traffic. Hope no Kombi club members got stuck in the long weekend traffic. :) :D

LOL
    Michelle

6. Archeress

Archeress Active Member

We Want Photos, We Want Photos , We Want Photos...im Dyin' Here.......

7. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Melissa - you must have "Kombi blinkers" on... it was a Holden!

I think they all look the same as well.

Sounds a great weekend, so peeved off I couldnt make it.

Dave

8. melissa

Ooops...sorry Baz..I knew it was one of the two...;)

I will be announcing very soon the details for 2008..the location has been chosen.

9. melissa

Kelly, I wasn't going to put any photos here..I was going to put them in Baz's post.:)

10. Archeress

Archeress Active Member

Ahhhhh i seeee.

11. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

I wonder if Tom found his coil lead... :D

ANd no I havent removed the rock yet! :eek::eek:

12. HempKombi

HempKombi New Member

Team Kombi POV

First off, I would just like to say a big thank you to Melissa, and everyone else who played a role in organising the Bus Stop in Canberra 2007. It was a great time had by all. It is going to take me weeks before I stop slowing down on sharing all of my experiences with my non-KC friends (a few still remain).
    From Melbourne,
    Thursday morning was chilly, but know looks warm! Pulling into a truck stop to see half a dozen other kombis waiting for us, was when the grin really got stuck on not only my face but sophie's well. By lunch most of the kids were starting to strike up conversations, as we "adults" chatted away. After much chatting on Ch. 18, with updates re: Woger, we pulled into our stop for the night, and quickly got ourselves organised. As dinner was ready, the parents all looked around to say, "where are the kids," as they were off running around as if they had known for years. A trend to which none of them tired off for the whole weekend. Sitting around the fire, with some drumming, guitar, and a bit of fire twirling as well, Woger Alice and Woz finally pulled up to the site to much rejoicing!
    Next morning we were off, with the hopes of meeting up with the SA crew in Yass. Missed that by an hour or so, typical kombi style! After seeing a green kombi parked in a rest area (non-kc), it was only a few minutes later when on the radios we hear "Is this the group of kombis in front of me? This is morris in the green kombi you passed, and am on my way to Canberra for the folk festival?!?" After a brief chat he kept on his way as we pulled in to Gundagai to join up with John. So as we strolled into to Eaglehawk, a kombi convey, which included: Cammo(Geoff and Sandra), Felix(Mike and his son Jack), Necro(Dave and his son Cain(and yes, I know its spelt wrong!), Woger (Alice and Woz and Malie), TasDeb(Deb and her son Adam), Wild1 (Marty), Alpal (Alan and Carol), RYL010 (Troy and Bernie, with their two kids Share(sp?) and Luke and dog Hopie), John (john), BogBeast (Steph and Adam), Caroline(Caroline and her two kids (Adele and max), and HempKombi (me and Sophie).
    After the weekend (see above and most likely below posts)...
    Getting ready to head back to Melbourne, thinking it might be a two or three bus convoy. By the time we were ready, the convoy was now to five, and reached a peak of eight at one stage. It was another perfect day of driving, chatting on the radios and enjoying the sun and the smiles that we all shared after such a wonderful weekend. Through kombi energy and lots of stops, and a pub meal in Violet Town, soph and I are back home and well tired out.
    I would just like to say that the drive to Canberra and the drive home from Canberra were tied for number two on the list of highlights for the weekend. Sorry, but nothing can beat the convoy on Sunday into Canberra! And the reason as to why it was such a great convoy (I believe) is because of the fact that, although relative strangers on what now feels like a sweltering hot morning on Thursday, to sitting here at my computer, is that I now know 20 odd people in Melbourne, that are now good friends.
    What a great crew we are!!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  13. kommodius

kommodius New Member

There and Back Again.

Well here we are then, all safely back in Adelaide after a lovely cruise home.
    We dropped H2 and kids back at her place and grinned our way back to Kommodius Kastle for a bit of a rest (actually Gypsy's still playing the guitar!).

What a super-duper weekend it was. Jammin' and jawin' with you lovely folks. My dear old bus didn't miss a beat in either direction and made the return trip in under 14 hours (which ain't too shabby!).

Thanks Mel for bringing Gypsy's Baja Bits from Newcastle (I had to stop him from diving into the shed with them when we got back!) and thanks for the "Brady Bunch" Award too!!

It's so good to have faces to put to names finally and what beautiful faces they are! I'm proud to know you all.

Love and Julie Andrews,

Ray & da Boyz

14. HempKombi

HempKombi New Member

Sorry to any of the names I've gotten mixed up and spelt incorrectly, which usually happens when I meet so many people!

15. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Where is Cammo?

Canberra was a fantastic trip and we had just the best time. Thankyou to all those people who by just being themselves, made the whole experience one to remember. When we left we made a last minute decision to head back south a different way and go bush. We headed for Cooma then over to Jindabyne. Then it happened. That which I had been dreading. The engine began to feel tight, just like it had before when it had fried. I began to loose acceleration. However, the oil temperature gauge was not showing overheating. My heart sank. “Not again!” I thought. I pulled over and lifted out the phone. No Network! Satellite Phone time. Anyway to cut an ongoing tale short. We are now luxuriating in an amazing resort motel room compliments of RACV/NRMA Total Care. Now we play the waiting game until we find out just what the problem was/is. So this is Cammo and dunegirl doing it tough watching all the in house movies and the 24 TV channels. Ha! Wish us luck that the repairs are minor. (I'm depressed! I want my Kombi!!!!)

16. Toni J

Toni J New Member

Hang in there Camo and Dunegirl

You both hang in there Camo and Dunegirl. At least you had a bit of good luck with Total Care.

The Kombi will heal and return better than before. Have faith...

Brett, Toni and G

17. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Damn eh!.... hope it aint anything too serious. it does sound somewhat like a tight valve. :eek:

Ah well, I'm sure you'll be able to make the best of the appalling 5-star conditions in the motel, being the resourceful bugger that you are! :D

BTW... maybe get the mechanic to check whether you have any brake pads left after the Telstra Tower trip! :D :eek:

Cheers!
    Kieran

18. melissa

Thats no good Geoff...at least it happened AFTER Canberra and not on the way. You sure are getting your moneys worth out of your roadside membership..LOL..good luck with getting your Kombi back soon.

19. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

What a great time!

Wow, Alice and I had an absolute ball. I am so glad that we managed to get Woger to Canberra, it was absolutely worth it. We left Melbourne about 6 hours or so after the Konvoy after registering the bus at 11:15 that morning (!), but managed to catch up at the overnight stop. (We received the "Cutting it Fine" award for that effort, and now have a story to tell about our first trip...) We were so proud when we arrived! I met so many great people, perved at so many lovely buses, learned a lot, and returned home with a passion for Woger. Finally, we can put faces and kombis to usernames... Everyone was so helpful and generous, and I would list everyone that gave but it would be a very long list (Alice and I know who you are, and will repay the karma back!) Woger ate the highway up on the way home, especially as we approached Melbourne (he must have been homesick), and he used $60 less fuel on the return trip ($80 versus $140)!

We forgot to clip the tags on our poptop on the second day, so it went up while we were driving, somewhat alarming Necro behind us, but the radios saved the day... I would recommend everyone get themselves a UHF (and a kombi konvoy) for their trips. I also managed to break a headlight retaining/adjusting screw trying to fit eyelids in a hurry, but Ray Kommodius came to the rescue, and with some duct tape we were able to head off on the mystery cruise with an eye-patch...

Hey Briank, sorry that you couldn't make it. I got your SMS in transit, thanks heaps for that, but as we had no credit on the phone I couldn't respond.... The good news, though, is that Melbourne's Team Kombi is planning to meet up with the Adelaide Krew for a trip to the Grampians in a few months, so we will have to meet up then!

When we got up this morning, Alice asked "So where are we going next weekend?"...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  20. cammokombi

cammokombi New Member

Latest news

It seems from the latest update that it is nothing major. Something to do with a Vacume pump???? and also the kick in switch (auto) was faulty. So repairable but hopefully not too expensive.