The Canberra Story...

Discussion in 'The First national Kombi Club Bus Stop 2007' started by melissa, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Oh Cammo, we were wondering why we hadn't passed you on the road (we assumed you had made it to Melbourne in good time...). It seems that Total Care pays for itself when you own a kombi... I am glad that it isn't anything too serious. Hopefully, the cammokombi will be back on the road turning heads in no time (well, at least before you get sick of the luxury!)... Good luck mate, at least it didn't happen on the way (although in convoy we would have made sure that you and Sandra at least made it to Canberra, even without the bus...)

2. Dunegirl

Dunegirl New Member

dunegirls poem

CANBERRA 2007

We had a Kombi convoy
    To Canberra was our aim
    From Bog Beast through to Woger
    Each one had a name.

On Thursday morning early
    The Victorian mob took flight
    And somewhere out of Holbrook
    Was where we spent that night.

With campfire blazing warmly
    And the sound of guitar and drums
    We laughed and joked and ate our fill
    As though we were old chums.

Onward, ever onward
    We bravely took the hills
    While all the cars that past us
    Got their Easter thrills.

With trailer and a kayak
    Cammo led the way
    While all of those behind us
    On their radios had a say.

With headlights ablazing
    At Canberra we arrived
    With a couple of minor hassles
    We all got there alive.

Through rain and sun and then dark cloud
    We made our final run
    Let Canberra know we have arrived
    And plan to have some fun.

3. Van Housing

Hey Sandra, that is awesome!

4. Dunegirl

Dunegirl New Member

Hey Woz

Thanks for that. Did it on the way up after Debbie suggested making up a song or something over the radio. I thought of doing another one for when we were there but gave up on that idea as we didn't have much spare time. Now I have spare time in this motel! Going to have a look at the shops here in Jindabyne, not many! At least it's not something drastic with the kombi.
    Catch ya.

5. Van Housing

You have much more material to work with now, as well as time - GET ONTO IT!!! :)

One phrase is already written.... "Where's ma boose?" :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  6. Dunegirl

Dunegirl New Member

Alice

Tell Alice to start posting too. I am just starting.

7. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

I've got Van Housing's (Woz) key's for Woger.....and he's not getting them back...that was soo much fun driving Woger.

8. Alice in Kombiland

Alice in Kombiland Well-Known Member

Great music in Canberra

By the way....thanks so much kommodius and Gypsy and all the other muscians (can't remember names only the kombis you drive) for the great live music in Canberra....it was awesome...we should have charged those non-kombi driving campers for the concert;) .

9. Royce

Royce Active Member

Thanks to everyone for making a great weekend - so many diverse individuals and great personalities. Although we didn't travel far, we enjoyed every minute of your company and met some (I think) life long friends.

To Melissa, you're a great custodian of the kombi spirit and did a fantastic job. On behalf of my little fella, Brian, you rock!

To Roy, for instigating this whole sordid mess, a heartfelt thankyou for connecting so many likeminded people.

To everyone who pitched in to help those stranded or in need of help, you reinforced for us why we drive these gorgeous old busses - the spirit of comraderie and affection for all things kombi.

To the receptionist, who commented after Dave (Necro) had checked in and left, who was then overheard to say to the girls out the back "Did you see that clown who just booked in?" . When I said, "that's a bit rude!" She replied, "Oh sorry, that could be taken the wrong way couldn't it?". People make me laugh...

To Pat and Sophie, thanks for the lend of your bus front end, as a replacement for Brian's brakes. we all appreciated your empathy and kindness. And thanks for the tea.

We had such a great weekend, mixing with fantastic people and playing with our kombis, we are already getting ourselves sorted for next year, and anything else we can organise to do with you wonderful people.

Cheers
    Royce, Andrew and Brian....

10. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Woo Hoo finally home... :)

Made it back to home about 2.30 today (Tues)....
    NSW/QLD crew split about coffs & some of us went ahead....
    Long trek home but I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    Loved meeting you all, Glad to put all your beautiful faces to names now.
    I think by now we all know who we are talking to.
    Thanks all for the pleasure of your company over the last few days....such wonderful spirits you all have....had a ball with you.
    Next time we will bring the splitty with us....(looks so much better than a workvan..LOL)
    Hope to see some of you at Sawtell, looking forward to the next catch up.
    Luv Judy

11. natishavingfun

natishavingfun New Member

Thanks to everyone who organised the Canbera weekend I had a fantastic time (Though was somewhat glad I took my hotwater bottle I never knew it could be so cold in canbera). Made it home safe and sound back to sunny Coogee without too much trouble from the Easter traffic. Sorry to hear about your breakdown, enjoy the 5 * hospitality.
    Take care, drive safe xx

12. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

Hey everyone, made it back ok to Queensland, after a total of 3000k's, thanks to everyone for making it an unforgettable weekend.

For those that were not there, book early for 2008, no excuses this time.

I think the full story needs to be told about Saturday night, Doc that was very funny, you should have been there mate. I needed a cushion all the way home.

Sunday night was also very funny, to see grown adults racing kombis down a Table tennis table, I was in tears laughing so much. Necro and Scott decided to send Filmore 'across' the racetrack and it didnt get hit for ages.

Great weekend, great people

Doc - I am out of the doghouse now!!!!

13. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

I'm still looking for that there Filmore... so I think an appropriate question to ask right now would be...

"WHeeeere's me boose??" :D :D :D

Ah yes that is going to stick like mud on the soles of Tom's microwaved hiking boots for all eternity! ;)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  14. TasDeb

TasDeb New Member

Oh what sweet poetry

Hey Dunegirl, what a great poem,I look forward to reading more, you could publish a Kombi Poems book. I for one love it!

15. 4hammers

4hammers Active Member

haha, i am from Tassie & the last time I was in Canberra, it was minus 4 in the morning, ground totally white with frost & the receptionist said to me as I was checking out of the hotel "You from Tassie? Boy, I hear it gets cold down there....."
    "Mmmmmmm, I suppose it does" I replied. NEVER gets to Minus 4 I can assure you of that!!

I am SO totally revved for the next Bus Stop. Where is it going to be??

Rob

16. Roy

Roy Administrator Staff Member

A warning for the next one, LOCK YOUR BUSES

17. Marty

Marty Active Member

Or maybe just don't leave your keys in the ignition with Andy around! ;)

18. Van Housing

Hey Sandra - Alice did a dozen posts yesterday! She kept returning to her computer to see if there were any new posts... She's now one of us... gabba gabba hey! </"Freaks">

19. Stompywomp

Stompywomp New Member

"Tell it to the Spartans" - The 300

The Spartans did it in Thermopalye, KCA did it in Canberra - keeping the hordes of modern plastic cars at bay (sic) and anyone who thought that old VW's were past it...check out the photos of KCA at it's finest.

There were certainly some good looking broads in the bunch that assembled in Eaglehawk caravan park - dressed in their best livery;save for a few (mine included)... it was good to see the spirit so strong.

Onwards and upwards....towards Bustop 2008!

20. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi everyone,

What a great event.... to those who came to the Bus Stop thanks for sharing your weekend with us, what a fantastic bunch of people you all are!
    To those who didn't make it this year, put in for your holidays NOW for next year, don't miss out it was FUN.

I am a bit worried about Andy though, we have several cars in our driveway that don't belong to us....I think he's found a new profession!

Lorraine