1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Kombi Wave

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by David H, Oct 3, 2017.

1. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Kombi Lovers,
    Got a factory manual for my 76 Sopru camper included when I bought it in 79. Loved reading thru that book. Recently met a new member at Old Bar 2017 (thanks Jethro;)) whom sent me this link.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/3_76_campmobile_australia.php

& found on page 23 the bit that I believe started the Kombi fellowship/camaraderie & has led us to where it is today with help from Roy @ The Bus Stop & all you kombi loving owners:D.
    This is what it says on page 23

"These days, wherever you drive you are almost sure to see other 'Campmobiles' on the move. These families are very likely to share common interests with you. When on the road give them a wave; or if you share the same campsite say a friendly "hello". You will make many new friends and be able to exchange information of handy camping hints, good camping locations and so on.
    You'll soon discover that mobile camping is a new way of really living.

Volkswagen Australia Pty Limited
    (a division of LNC Industries Limited) March 1976"

Been waving & chatting since then:D. Been an absolute pleasure of my life:).

And new friends we have made with & without campers:cool:!

Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  2. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

So why those stickers?: "A T3 is not a Kombi. STOP waving at me!" o_O

3. David H

Just being friendly to all Kombi owners;) like the good book says:cool:. Didn't know in 76 they were even going to invent a T3 :p but it's okay to opt out with that sticker so long as you put it on the front in a font size my eyes can see at 100 kmph:D.
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  4. Grantus

But they were only saying that "Campmobile" drivers, should wave to other "Campmobile" drivers.....

Not wave to the oncoming plumber driving the bosses company panel.

5. David H

Just saying where this community got started from:p;):D. And who doesn't love their plumber for turning up on time with Kombi reliability:p.
    Cheers

Grantus likes this.
  6. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

In 74 purchased a Reno 12 wagon and they promoted the idea of waving to fellow Reno 12 drivers. Worked for a while until the Reno 12's disappeared!

David H likes this.
  7. Grantus

You must have waved at my brother, in his Renault 12 he bought new.......with similar instruction. ;)

8. MAP77

MAP77 Well-Known Member

With having Kombis off and on for the past 40 years since 1977 I agree David with the Factory Manual extract.

When we would travel you would always wave to fellow Kombi drivers as a friendly gesture and to ensure that everything was OK as you past them.

This was with any type, not only campers.

Loved it then and still love it today.

18451435_10154728638552725_7076092964408888050_o.jpg

David H likes this.
  9. David H

How cool is it to get that manual back?;)
    I'm going to send it to my printer & see if he can replicate.
    Cheers

10. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for the mention Dave, Old bar was fantastic, so much original Kombi spirit (as per pg 23 of the manual) and so many beautiful original Kombis. I love some of the custom creations when done well but personally I was just drawn to the real originals and original restorations. Hopefully we'll have our dream machine pretty soon!!
    Cheers

11. David H

Hi Geoff,
    Nice kombi wave from both of us ;). Job well done!
    We all do our own resto 'our own way'. I've been in that bay for 30 yrs & wanted it a bit custom after getting a non standard roo bar from Map77 off gumtree.
    I blame Mark for some of my reno expense:rolleyes:!!
    Get that Tas bus home & if original is what you want just ask us here. Mr Beckstar being the hoarder of Sopru interior panels;).
    Cheers

MAP77 likes this.
  12. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Nice one David H a wave to you :D computer style.

David H likes this.
  13. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Not putting a dampener on the enthusiasm but this community got started from some events very few know or are aware of and as they say never let the truth get in the way of a good story :confused:;):eek::rolleyes:

Jethro and oldman like this.