1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Money Pit......

Discussion in 'New Members' started by spark, Apr 18, 2020.

1. spark

spark Active Member

Been on the site for a while not really posted anything so about time I introduce the bus and myself
    My name is Michael and I am 60 years old and live on property at Mandalong NSW.
    In 1991 I purchased a dc syncro off north shore vw Brookvale for the price of 33k at the time a new Toyota hilux sr5 was 24k so quite an investment for a work ute, I had this bus till 1997 I did over 200k in it with no mechanical problems. At that time all the vw people were telling me its a ticking time bomb prepare for major costs. As I had all the pressures of three kids private school fees , mortgages
    I let the dc go for 24k nothing I bought could ever match it.
    Fast forward nearly 30 years I am turning 60 and my wife asks me what I would like for my birthday and I said something I lost years ago hence I posted on this site and searched the classifieds not really fussed about a bus or a dc, Luckyphill pointed me to a dc in Sydney used as a promotion billboard and covered in black wrap. I had a look at it and had to buy it as emotions are greater than common sense now the work begins.
    The new green DC.
    Although covered the wrap was what protected it from the weather hence very little rust mainly where repairs have been made over time.
    It was purchased off a collector who seemed to do all work himself yet not up to my standards so the job is to make the truck feel like a new car and give me the personal trust in the truck .
    It has a low k muller wbx motor.
    It has a recon gearbox.
    Drives very nice gets up and goes changes gears fine and generally in good condition for its age as we know a good body is the main thing the rest can be done over time.
    At the moment the motor and gear box is out of it to fix a small gearbox oil leak and replace head gaskets and go over the whole cooling system as these are the weak links in T3s also put in new slave cylinder on the clutch while there.
    Next will be rear disc brakes, free flowing muffler and cat ,new bushings and shocks, Gear linkage upgrade.
    This gives me something to do while we are in lockdown.
    Below is some photos of my old and new DC syncro

upload_2020-4-18_8-58-47.jpeg

1EE330EB-4A80-4E15-AC7C-9D21F6486AF6.jpeg

797BE7A6-328B-4173-B7BB-01C5E8CE3A52.jpeg

47DF80CC-F9E6-4EE6-A3DC-0F7FC3512D72.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2020
  2. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Great story, awesome buy !
    Plenty of knowledge here for your journey.....
    Welcome to KC.
    Enjoy the ride :cool:
    Cheers,
    Mark

Elsie 76 likes this.
  3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Nice story Michael - do you know where your old syncro DC is now?

4. spark

spark Active Member

Hi Melissa it went to nth coast NSW and thats all I know.

melissa likes this.
  5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Good stuff Michael! :)

Nothing like going full circle, and back into a syncro DC. ;)

6. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Nice story of you life's circle,doesn't look like much has changed over the years ;)except the new car is a different colour. Enjoy it wherever it takes you. What year is the green one?

7. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

WOW.............original Projekt Zwo lights on the first van?

They would be almost worth more than the van

Jethro and Syncro27 like this.
  8. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

I bet it is the one Roscoe ownes he is up Grafton way.

KahunaKombi likes this.
  9. spark

spark Active Member

Thanks Wayne 1991 so the same year as the white one.
    Plenty has changed. I move a lot slower and new cars are a lot quieter to drive my everyday car is a t5.1 4 motion and the wife drives a new landcruiser so stepping back in time is a culture shock.

Jethro and Syncro27 like this.
  10. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Thought either Roscoe or Graham (Grazza7755) :rolleyes:

11. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

The circle is complete. :D

Syncro27 likes this.
  12. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Nice toy.

13. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

great read great photos welcome back to the club

14. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

It does look really nice with the wrap off - great to see it came up so good.

I think the seller still has it advertised :rolleyes: Maybe he is hoping you will sell it back to him?

Once sorted and once out of lock-down we will have to get you to come along on a couple of events.

15. spark

spark Active Member

Thanks Scott I did have to sign a first right of refusal letter on purchase. The wrap came off with a lot of hard work the thing that did upset me is they sanded the stickers off with an orbital sander to put the wrap on Just lazy. little things are just not repaired correctly e.g. lower grill held on with cable ties, drivers side headlight clip broken yet cable tied. All easy fixes and he had the spares yet it appears he wanted to keep his spares.

16. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

A bit concerning that if that was his method or repairs - how good was his maintenance? Probably be a great idea to go over everything - replace anything dodgy...

17. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Do you have the parts to fix the headlight & lower grill

18. spark

spark Active Member

No I don't, they do seem to be sold on different sites. Or maybe someone on this site has them for sale.
    I did go to a wrecker up at Weston last week, three t3s that I could see yet no one can go in due to lock down so its just another job. I need a lot of little things rubbers under two door handles, plugs on the windshield wipers.
    My main requirement was rust, tray condition bed and gates ,motor and gearbox, lockup box condition.
    The rest is just time and money.

19. spark

spark Active Member

Yes I am, haven't driven it much till I check the lot. and replace anything not right.

oldman likes this.
  20. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Just look at everything, and aim at getting it looking like it would have, when it left the factory, (or like yours did, when you collected it new from the dealer). ;)