1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Money Pit

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by spark, Aug 9, 2020.

1. spark

spark Member

Played with the dual cab today, fitted new sound system very happy as I now have car play, navigation , hands free phone and music streaming .
    upload_2020-8-9_19-7-26.jpeg

KahunaKombi, Maccas and Luckyphil like this.
  2. Maccas

Maccas Active Member

Very nice inclusion that.

Next project ... hhhhmmmmm ....
    What about a magnificent 4WD offroader comfy camper conversion?

Doka camper.jpg

To die for .........

Syncro27 likes this.
  3. spark

spark Member

To late Maccas as I already have one to slide on the back a 1967 murrumba star weighs 300kg here is a photo on my farm truck when we were leaving to Frazer when we were allowed in QLD.
    upload_2020-8-10_8-14-42.jpeg
    Motorbike and surfboard fit under the bed section, outdoor kitchen in small long box, tools spares and jack stands in other side, has outdoor shower hot and cold water queen bed nth sth.
    Still working out how to fit to the syncro.

4. spark

spark Member

Other mods I have done is a lighting upgrade, Made a wiring loom to fit relays behind headlights all in waterproof bases and with all standard lighting plugs . Globes are osram hi output
    upload_2020-8-10_8-49-9.jpeg upload_2020-8-10_8-50-34.jpeg

Syncro27 and Luckyphil like this.
  5. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Nice work. I have headlight relays on the fuse panel but result the same, greater efficiency and less chance of burning out the headlight switch.

6. spark

spark Member

Thanks Phil there is many different ways to wire them. The reason I did it my way was that all I had to do was run one active from the fuse block and put individual fuses in the looms, it also allows me to unplug each light and replug old wiring if something goes pair shaped. The result is each light has its own individual circuit meaning if something blows I only lose one light. I have a seperate relay and fuse on the high beam driving lights meaning five relays and fuses in total. Maybe an overkill yet being an electrician sometimes I still like to play.

Luckyphil likes this.
  7. spark

spark Member

Played with DC today I was concerned about play in the front diff so pulled it out to have a look took the VC section apart and found this in the base .

fitted replacement diff I had yet code was different in ratios pulled front drive shaft out so I can still drive around so next step get front diff rebuilt. I could just fit the replacement VC yet while its out I would rather have it rebuilt as thats another section I will never have to touch again

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    Syncro27 likes this.
  8. spark

spark Member

upload_2020-8-20_22-2-5.png
    Sorry photo deleted somehow

9. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Its hard to see what exactly that is in the photos.

What is it?

10. spark

spark Member

Hi scott
    I don't know what its off it looks like its off the VC , I sent it away today, by next week I will know. by driving it I feel the clutch plates in the VC were slipping so as said. I could just patch it up yet I will fix everything to as the best I can do.
    I have been checking all the drives and there was a delay in the AWD in off road conditions.
    While it is away I will get the back tray painted and any touchup paint work fitted,
    I am glade my wife seams to not mind me spending money on this project and I am enjoying turning this into a very nice t3.

Syncro27 likes this.
  11. spark

spark Member

Haven't posted in a while and thought I would tell everyone what is going on with the Machine.
    Had some rust cut out of the seams and front bumper area very happy as the panel beater asked me to come in every day and check the work.
    This week the DC goes in to get some engine work done, you all may think I am completely mad and I maybe I am yet I felt if I was going to spend money on the engine a little bit more poke would be nice.
    Hence I am putting in a GW 2.3l with ratio rockers, flowed heads with 38 44mm valves and all SS pipework, new AFM, water pump ,high pressure oil pump ,chipped and SS exhaust to go with the existing Magnaflow system and new radiator with hose kit.
    While this is getting done the gearbox is to be overhauled with internal oil pump and upgrades to help it enjoy having

IMG_1580.jpg IMG_1592.jpg IMG_1585.jpg IMG_1584.jpg IMG_1583.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2020 at 7:33 AM
  12. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Looks like a whole lot of nice stuff going in, should be great when done. With the GW S/S exhaust it is best to retain your existing 2 into 1 junction. Andy will probably recommend this also. The VW bit is made better and assists scavenging of the exhaust.

13. spark

spark Member

Thanks Phil I hope it all works out It should be about 170hp yet I am flying blind with Marcos heads as they are only the second set done and no reviews, with that size valves there is only about 1.5mm clearance between each valve yet if they ever hit the valve guides would be stuffed. Like you say Andy will sort it with the Blue printing should find any problems.

Syncro27 likes this.
  14. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Watching with interest with what you're doing :D