1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The surf and swoosh project, 71 Lowlight Panel. The second coming.

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by VanRex, Dec 24, 2005.

1. VanRex

VanRex Member

Good to see some familiar faces are still here. Thanks for the replies. Some are a little humbling!

Brendan

2. VanRex

VanRex Member

I have thought about the list of jobs to do. Whilst extensive I think I can manage most or all of them however I am going to have a go at all of them.
    Firstly there is the rust and bodywork..
    • Two new rear lower quarters including repairs on the inner guards.
    • Rebuild both pillars (the screws holding the visor onto the drip channel even though they were sealed let water into the inside of the pillars)
    • Rear engine lid bump over number plate rusted out. Anyone got engine lid for a 71?
    • Fill in the window for the replacement sliding door (could not find a rust free panel van slider)
    • Fill in the low trim holes at the door handle level for the replacement front doors (going bling deluxe trim in the normal location)
    • Minor sill rust
    • Replace the drivers lower seat belt mount (double wall section rusting out from inside)
    • Change the front clip emblem section back to flat original from the late raised section of the replacement clip that I bought 11 years ago
    • Bodywork and paint. Going to be painted all blue but a greyer shade than the current color.

I'm going to leave it there. Two things are happening at this point. You are getting bored reading all the detail and I'm getting depressed typing it.

;-)
    Brendan

Syncro27 likes this.
  3. kroozzn62

kroozzn62 Member

Hey there Brendan its Brendon that sold your van to you those many years ago. wow ive just signed in since 2002 ish great to see you still have her! Ive just got a 60 mango green beetle, my first in sooo many years its like everyone is slowly returning.
    Let me know if youd like to sell her back , lol i wish.

4. VanRex

VanRex Member

Hey Brendon, great to hear from you. You've tried couple of times to buy it back..no sale! Got plans for the '60 or just enjoying it?