1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The surf and swoosh project, 71 Lowlight Panel. The second coming.

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by VanRex, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Damo

Damo New Member

Back home on 30th december mate.

2. VanRex

VanRex Member

Doh! I'm back home on the 28th!

3. Damo

Damo New Member

Doh! a deer,a female deer!!!Oh well you'll just have to come up in Feb for Dubs at the Pub.

4. VanRex

VanRex Member

sounds like a surf weekend for me and my son.

5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Brendan - if you haven't seen the BRT for a while then you're in for a surprise as man has it changed or what

6. KahunaKombi

PM with address and bat phone # sent

7. VanRex

VanRex Member

Hey it eas very sketchy when I drank there! (maybe says a lot about me in my younger days).

I will call and pop over.

Brendan

8. 65devon

65devon New Member

WOW!! top work mate

9. VanRex

VanRex Member

Thanks 65Devon.

Quick uodate before I head up north tomorrow.
    Undercoated 2/3rds of it today. (still have more panels to weld in though). Wanted to see what it looked like with one color on it, even if it was grey.

The front skin that was made of of a late upper with the indicator holes welded over and an early lower turned out fantastic. Only a thin skim of filler across the joints and it turned out real smooth. Rear right corner that needed a new battery tray and new metal to support it turned out like original.

Pulled the rear window out and found more rust!! DOH!

Still making seat mount brackets (lots of them to tap 2 threads into for locating bolts).
    Completed the fuel filler/breather (this was a lot of fun due to the distance and tight angles I had to work with and still acheive a fall in the pipe..pics to follow).
    All fuel delivery is now complete with 1.5L swirl pot, high pressure fuel pump, low pressure fuel pump, high and low pressure filters. All high pressure fuel injection hoses with lots, did I say lots of hose clamps (the guy at Pirtek is smiling from ear to ear when I walk in!). Just have to hook up the wiring to the relays when I complete the electricals.

Took some pics of bits and pieces yesterday but won't get time to post them (flat camera batteries) for about a week.

Merry Christmass all.

Brendan

10. VanRex

VanRex Member

Happy New Year to you all!

I promised some pictures and I'm a bit late in supplying them but here they are.
    A lot of work goes into fabricating bits that weren't intended to be there and I believe that dodgy just won't do. I also enjoy seeing the result and the journey of making these items (sick I know!).

This is the framework for the middle seat. As it has seatbelts attached to it it must be secured by plates that are more than 6.5mm thick to the floor. I have cut the legs through the flooring so they contact the upper plates and pull up tight with the high tensile bolts.
    [​IMG]
    These are the plates 8mm thick with high tensile M12 nuts tack welded behind them. These will fit underneath the floor and be held in spot by the M6 countersunk screws through 3mm plates above the floor. The whole lot will be sealed to stop water ingress. Takes a while to tap these threads by hand!
    [​IMG]
    Due to the closeness of the turbo to the Mass Airflow Sensor I could not fit the standard Subaru Resonator. This is an adaptor I made to get the angle correct and match the two different pipe sizes. It also has tee offs for purge control etc. Made this out of various size exhaust pipe.
    [​IMG]
    Another bit of fabrication. The plastic pipe from the turbo to the intercooler which has the blow-off valve broke and getting one that fitted proved a little difficult. The answer was to make one out of 2 inch exhaust pipe. Sectioned up the pipe and welded each piece to make the bend. Holesawed and welded in the tee at the correct angle. The ends of the pipe has a rib welded in to stop the hose blowing off under boost.
    [​IMG]

Brendan

11. VanRex

VanRex Member

The rear radiator pipes are in for the final time including tee offs for air bleed (this and the other side is the highest points in the system). These pipes are made out of exhaust pipe also. Once the design proves itself I will remove them and use them as templates for stainless pipework for longevity.
    [​IMG]
    Whilst I'm on the cooling system here is the intercooler radiator bolted into the nount with thermatic fan attached. This mounts above the starter motor to the firewall where the fuel tank use to be.
    [​IMG]

Brendan

12. VanRex

VanRex Member

Whilst I'm on a roll here is some more of the body mods.

The front skin turned out pretty good. Can't tell that this is a late model front skin!
    [​IMG]
    Cab floor is complete and sealed.
    [​IMG]
    The rear panels behind the seats were badly dinged up...enter the grinder and cut off wheel! Left material for a large gusset to the B pillar. Panel was cut out just above where the two sheets meet and are spot welded together from factory. I seam welded along this join for strength and added 20x20 angle to the gusset edge and stiched it in top and bottom. I also relocated the brake resevior to the rear of the cavity in the drivers seat hump. Filler is still easily accessable.
    [​IMG]

Regards Brendan

13. HempKombi

HempKombi New Member

All I got say is your van is going to be amazing. Even though I don't know what half the stuff that you are talking about (exhaust pipe?), I can still appreciate good craftmanship when I see it. And not to mention someone who is totally dedicated to doing a perfect job!! Can't wait to see the finished product, you might have to take it on a tour of Australia for all of us to see up close!
    Keep the pics and updates coming!

Cheers,
    pat

14. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Wow!

Shxx hot stuff Brendan.

Matt

15. VanRex

VanRex Member

Thanks for the kind words. I think that the journey is half the fun that's why I'm not stressing about the finish date although I'd like to take it for a drive up to the sunny coast for dubs by the pub and surf for 2 days all the way back.

Brendan

16. KahunaKombi

Superlatives escape me with you talents Brendan and how this project is coming along

17. VanRex

VanRex Member

I came to the realization that I couldn't paint the whole van in the garage where it was so I focussed on one side, front and rear. I finished the fold back seans of the front skin which was a job I've been putting off for months. Used seam sealer before the final fold over for a nice waterproof joint. I will flood the inner with fish oil to really seal it up after all the painting is done.

I undercoated on Friday, 2 coats of color on Saturday. A light wet rub back with 800 grit this morning just to get it real smooth then the final two coats this afternoon. I will now leave it for 2 weeks before 1200 grit and then polish. I also gave the new rims a coat of alluminium spray to see what it will eventually look like.

This panel was ripple city and needed a recunstructed sill front to back and a fair bit of cancer cut out of the dogleg. Also had a new battery tray and outer skin to support it. It also had bolt holes right through the B pillar!
    [​IMG]
    The front skin turned out pretty good. Late upper with the indicator holes welded up and grafted onto the vent surround (I left 10mm metal around it) and also a early lower cut and shut together. Raised emblem area is a giveaway but where do you stop? Cutting that out and getting the whole panel straight would have been fun I did not want to have.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Spun the whole thing around to work on the other side. Passenger side dog leg is too far gone, both outer and inner. Will order one off Roy this week. With the van facing this way it will now be a lot easier to finish off the middle seat and easier access to finish the fuel, seat belt mounts and electricals.
    [​IMG]

That's all for now

Brendan

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  18. Damo

Damo New Member

Nice one mate look forward to seeing you up here for dubs!
    Cheers
    Damo

19. VanRex

VanRex Member

Damo,
    Mate I'm trying my hardest to get there!

Brendan

20. KahunaKombi

Looking good Brendan - what is that colour as it close to the Opaline Blue my bay is done in