1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The surf and swoosh project, 71 Lowlight Panel. The second coming.

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by VanRex, Dec 24, 2005.

1. nickw86au

nickw86au Member

I'm also looking forward to see some updates - I do check periodically to see if there are any; we've seen great work so far.

2. VanRex

VanRex Member

Been a while since I posted pics. Here is an update.
    Engine runs perfectly. Fixed oil leaks with new seals and gaskets. New timing belt. Wiring complete with a few gremlins still to sort out. Brakes bled.

Here is a couple of teaser photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. VanRex

VanRex Member

Seals and timing belt all done...no leaks and just purrs. Timing belt is a bit sketchy without a workshop manual but as long as you paint lines everywhere it allways lines up.

Here is a few pictures of the interior.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just got to fite the heater core and blower, put the door trims on, screw the dash in, tighten up the steering wheel and get the rego done. This will all be done this week.

Looking forward to some trips. (started talking to my wife about how nice a Tassie drive holiday would be this year).

Brendan

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  4. jb4845

jb4845 Member

Great stuff Brendan - this ride is looking really good

Will have to pop down when it is done and go for a ride - or get you to come up and visit!

Like the retractor belts in the rear too!

I am sure she will open some eyes getting away from the lights :D :D :D

JOSH

5. VanRex

VanRex Member

Thanks Josh,
    I'll be driving everywhere in it once it is on the road.
    I've been trying to source new replacement belts for the middle seats with no luck. The ones in it are in good condition so they would pass however nothing beats peace of mind with new ones.

One thing that is a giveaway is with the motor running the resonance at the left rear vent/scoop is very noticeable. Not too loud to fail the 86dB noise test but enough to question "what the hell has he got in there?" "1600 single port...yeah right!"

Regards

Brendan

6. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

Haha GO the 1600 single port....giddyup!!! :cool:
    Nice work Brendan i daydream about Bess having something like that oneday.
    Enjoy mate.

7. VanRex

VanRex Member

Drove it yesterday up and down the street. Very smooth with plenty of power. Just have to sort out a couple of things before engineering and blue slip on Friday. Adjust clutch and gear shift. Get that air lock out of the cooling system since I put in the heater core. Might bleed the brakes again as they are a little spongy.

Pics to follow.

Brendan

8. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hey Brendan, glad to see the progress and that you're nearing completion :)

9. Live&Direc

Live&Direc Member

That is a very intimidating amount of engine in the back there.

10. VanRex

VanRex Member

Here is a couple of pics of Vanrex's first steps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

SUTTO likes this.
  12. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

Brendan, VanRex is a mechanical work of art, hey. I just had a flick back through this thread - you've done a fantastic job with him. :)

I bet you'll be a very very happy man once those NSW rego plates and sticker are slapped on him. Well, even happier than you are now, by the sounds of it.

I've got panelvan envy now... :rolleyes:

Julian.

13. jb4845

jb4845 Member

Woohoo!

Good to see those pics - so how does she go and stop?

14. Mafti

Mafti New Member

Bet that felt good Brendan.
    Enjoy the horses once you've ironed out the bugs.
    Congrats great job you've done.

Mafti

15. VanRex

VanRex Member

Weighbridge and Engineering Certificate tomorrow. Blue Slip and Rego on Monday.

I can't get over how easy it starts and how smooth it idles. I stop work on finishing the little jobs just to kick it over all the time.

Hey Mafti do you run a burp tank with your heater lines and rad return connected?

Brendan

16. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Bet you can't get that smile of your face :) great to see you on the road and hope all goes well with final inspections

17. VanRex

VanRex Member

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Did about 80 klms today getting the engineering certificate.

Oh yeah it passed!! Woohoo! I worked until 3:30 am this morning finishing things off. Broke a window mechanism at 2:00am (the neighbours now know about this along with my abilities with expletives).

Now for the real bad news. My clutch plate looks to have disintegrated. A couple of take offs from standing starts (not dumping the clutch) and it shuddered quite bad. Got it home and put it into first to drive up my driveway which is quite steep. No go just sits there and shudders. let it all cool down, set up some little ramps at the gutter and drove at it from the street without stopping to get it in the garage. Opened the engine lid to find clutch dust coating everything, some pieces up to 2mm.

I think my choice of going with a stock clutch plate as the sacrificial component in the driveline was a poor one. Matched to a Kennedy Stage 2 the surface appears to not be able to take it.

I hope I can limp it on Monday to get Blue slip and rego.

Happy days the motor is coming out again!!

I'm not upset as I got my first Kombi wave today and it isn't even registered yet.

Brendan

18. VanRex

VanRex Member

Got it registered today. Woohoo. The euphoria kinda masks the dissapointment about the clutch.

Came home, cleaned the rear window and stuck the Kombi Club sticker on.

Got another issue. The key will not come out of the ignition switch. Currently got the whole thing apart and on the desk in the garage. Just got to work out how to get to the lock tumblers without destroying the barrel. Will leave it until tomorrow when I am less tired.

Brendan

19. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Thats fantastic news Brendan. Want to show off that sticker this weekend with a run up to Mount Sugarloaf? I left details with Peter Korsche if you are keen.

20. jb4845

jb4845 Member

good idea Melissa - I second that - if the clutch can take it bring it up to Mount Sugarloaf for a look-see JOSH