1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The surf and swoosh project, 71 Lowlight Panel. The second coming.

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by VanRex, Dec 24, 2005.

1. cruzr944

cruzr944 Active Member

Im not going to be one of the hundred lookers that dont so much as write a thing, so nice job on it all, a big job too and youve kept it to sort out all the bugs. I have just bought another Kombi with a V6 motor in it and front mounted radiator and will be looking at bottom mounting it also, cheers Great job
    Glen

2. VanRex

VanRex Member

Finally got to work on it over the break. Removed the engine, gearbox and radiator. cleaned everything up and started the conversion. I have taken a lot of pictures so will leave the rest of the words until they can be accompanied by shots.

One big call out is that the engine will now sit a further 50mm back so a lot of things will need to be re-manufactured.

Brendan

3. VanRex

VanRex Member

How slack have I been! It is running with the new auto gearbox. Took 12 weeks elapsed time. Got lots of pictures so will post here when I get some time.

One thing that is very embarrassing for me is that when I took it for it's first drive after the conversion, the noise that led me (and others) to believe that the 091 box was kaput was still there !!!!! AARRRGGGHHHH! 12 Weeks 12 Weeks 12 Weeks!

Turns out that both my outer front wheel bearings had gone (only 18 months old!!). Both going at the same time created a stereo effect that made the sound travel along the chassis and led you to believe that it was coming from the back even when you were sitting in the back or with your head out the window.

Looks like I'll have a good 091 (after I check it out) with adapter and hydraulic clutch setup for sale some time in the future. Might pay for a bit of the conversion.

The van now drives real well and is a lot of fun with the turbo motor (not that I have been pushing it hard)

Anyway enough for now.

Brendan

4. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Well done Brendan.

Maybe see you around in this beast more now??

But we still need photos.

5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Brendan,

Well it has certainly been some time since hearing from you on here but great to see you're back - 71 Squareback = might be interested if it hasn't gone or when completed.

Not sure if you know but Igor is gone (Sept 2010) and now have a 1990 T3 SC Ute but it is on the market (as is the house) downsizing everywhere and as the Mrs can't drive the T3 looking at Type 3.

Looking forward to pics of the Van.

Bert

6. VanRex

VanRex Member

Scott,
    Drive it every day to the station and on weekends to go for a surf so you may see it round. The wife was getting sick of dropping me to the station at 6:30 in the morning.

Bert,
    The type 3 has not had anything done to it since October last year. Just got to put it back together. should get some time after I've finished the new Kitchen and get my Garage space back. will draft up the story and post the pics of the auto conversion in the next couple of weeks.

I'm getting another car back soon as well. My eldest daughter is buying her own car so the 72 Super Beetle is coming back home. will be doing some cleaning up on it then selling it also. (Kermit metalic green, lowered on 17s, 1600 with cam, ported heads and twin solexes)

I need to simplify my like as there is too many projects.

Bendan

7. KahunaKombi

Brendan, remember that Beetle and liked it a lot. Not in any hurry as trying to sell this house and downsize then push the Ute sale as may need it when we move and things moving slowly.

Bert

8. Squalo

Squalo Active Member

Hi Brendan, this bus is something special, I'm no stranger to modifying vehicles but your work is superlative!

How's the cooling system holding up, any lingering heat issues? I have a Davies Craig EWP80 (EWP is literally electric water pump) with digital controller that I purchased for a project sportsbike build and I reckon it would be perfect for a watercooled bus conversion - the digital controller means that you do away with the thermostat altogether, as the pump won't even fire up until the engine gets to operating temp, then the controller will vary the pump speed as required, and when you shut the motor down the pump will run on for as long as necessary to eliminate heat soak.

9. VanRex

VanRex Member

Squalo,
    Sounds like a good system especially the run on to combat heat soak. Mine is a little rudimentary at the moment with a thermostat that kicks in at around 90 deg (not real precise). I found that the main issues with radiator under chassis is highway driving above 90k/hr. There is very little clean airflow underneath and my temp would start to creep on long trips. I found that by pulsing the accelerator pedal periodically the temp would stabilise due to the motor running richer. I have built a Megasquirt ECU so I can adjust the fuel map for various load situations to make for a little more efficient operation whilst maintaining temp. will also trigger the fans off the ECU as well. All built and tested so just need to fit it and tune it.

When I had the radiator out to do the shift linkage for the Auto I built ducting over the top of the fans so the exit air got away without turbulence and installed vanes to separate airflow from both fans. Has made quite a difference around town (have not tried it on a long highway run yet) as the temp seems more stable in most driving conditions. As with any modifications there is always trial and error. I'm thinking of further under-body sheeting to smooth out airflow in front of the radiator (which is a WRX GC8 aftermarket 3 core ally radiator). Might mount the GoPro underneath with some plastic streamers for a look first though (poor man's wind tunnel!)

Brendan

10. VanRex

VanRex Member

Time for an update.
    I've been very slack since the last post. Just livin' life and enjoying a surf. Still have not posted about my auto conversion which is going quite well since complete.

My Kombi has been on the road almost 7 years and done over 130,000 klms since the rebuild, restore and Suby WRX conversion. The only mechanical things that have gone are the old CVs, Bearings, a faulty clutch pressure plate and a engine main oil seal. Pretty good really. I love it and will never sell it!

Rust however is another thing. The famous line "Rust Never Sleeps" is very true. I'm lucky that the work I did on the chassis and body back in 2006 is still pretty good. The three doors are another matter! It is coming up for rego in April and I don't think it will pass so I have to get off my ass and do something about it.
    Thinking of the list to do I thought why not a full refresh and spray job. I have 2 replacement rustfree doors, a replacement sliding door, also rust free however it has a window cut into it which I will need to fill in. I have to remove the windscreen to resolve a few bubles around the rubber on the pillars. There is also a few bubbles on the rear wheel arches which I will buy replacement panels for instead of patching them up like last time.

I'll try to keep up the posts on this. (I promise)

Have a wonderful day.

Brendan

11. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Brendan,

As you said rust is a nasty animal that never stops.

You just have to try and keep it at bay - lucky you have a few spare panels in the cupboard.

Low-lights like to rust almost as much as splitties do - so garaging them is essential for their longevity.

Cheers,

12. VanRex

VanRex Member

Scott,
    No spare garage for this one and it is a daily driver so I can't complain.
    Put some Empi Fuchs replica 17s on it before xmas and I have got all excited now. Need to do up the rest to match the wheels.

Brendan

13. Subdub67

Subdub67 Well-Known Member

Hi Brendan,

Great bus, if you have any shots of the rad setup that would great. My conversion is a non turbo ej20, into a 67, bus uses front end from 74 and rear end as well. I love surfing too mate so if your ever in Coffs or on the Goldie love to see the bus too. JP :)

14. KahunaKombi

Good to hear from you again Brendan and hear all's good ;)

15. VanRex

VanRex Member

It has been quite a while since I have posted on this Thread. I have been reading a few threads of others on here and am excited to see the stoke has not waned.

I took Vanrex off the road exactly two years ago with the intention to do a 6 month body resto and paint. There was a lot of rust to fix! I worked on it for 7 months off and on then let it sit until Easter this year as 2 years off the road was eating at me. I still have a long list of things to do which includes the use of a trolley jack, spanners, welder, grinder and spray gun. I'll put the list up when I can bring myself to type it out.

Brendan

Subdub67 and Syncro27 like this.
  16. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

Ah...the kneeboarder awakes...
    welcome back ..dont be a stranger.....
    Chuckster

Syncro27 likes this.
  17. KahunaKombi

Have to agree with the Chuckster :D

18. Subdub67

Subdub67 Well-Known Member

Welcome back mate

19. SunnyJim

SunnyJim Well-Known Member

vanrex

i feel i need to acknowledge your efforts
    big high five

in 2009 i bought a 76 bus with an ej25dohc in it.

it went like batshit. it also had a radiator and housing undeneath. i asked the PO "what that? "

He said " Oh we saw the Vanrex design"
    sorry you get the glory but no royalties

20. vassy69SC

vassy69SC Active Member

Lot's of patience and money involved in keeping these old girls nice and on the road.
    Keep at it