1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Type 2 Heating System Explained

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by rays76bay, May 20, 2007.

1. kombihill

kombihill New Member

Thanks for that,am slowly learning but its a heck of a ride. Appreciate your help.

2. emby

emby Active Member

Doc knows his heeater systems ;)

Actually Doc knows a lot about the mechanics of kombis now he's bilt and rebuilt two of them :p

3. dbs

dbs Member

below the dash close to the door is an access pannel with 4 screws... remove the panel and you'll find an ambo fan, ... one each side of the bus. This is not involved with the heating system at all.
    ;)

4. whoaNellie

whoaNellie New Member

Awesome,what a great help solving my heating problems!! Thanks :) :)

5. dbs

dbs Member

just looked it up and found some good info here
    http://www.eircooled.com/deforum/showthread.php?t=1416
    interesting point to note near the end of the article:
    "but if an Eberspacher goes wrong it is connected directly to your petrol tank - exciting stuff"
    I wonder how many have gone wrong?
    ;)

6. Skip

Skip New Member

Just what I needed. You can find Ratwell's explanation here, which is pretty handy too, more concentrated on the under-car aspects than the cables.

It turns out my cables are all there and doing the job, but most of the under-body stuff has been removed at some stage during it's life. The little control flaps were in a bucket in the back when we got the car to begin with, and I had kinda wondered what they did. Looks like more stuff for the shopping list...

7. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Awesome sticky ! I knew there was a better way than trial & error - thanks.

8. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Not fitted to all kombi's!

9. Misabi

Misabi Member

Another interesting perspective on the kombi heating system.

http://www.shagadelic.org/VW/info/gmbulley-soundproof/heatdum.html

Have any of you guys insulated all of your heating ducting/pipes to reduce heat loss as the hot air moves to the front of the bus?

Don the dub has some kind of insulating sleeve on his heating ducts/pipes, not sure if it's factory or something that was knocked up by the previous owner :)

10. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Explains why our 79 didn't have fans but earlier units (mid 70's) we have had do.
    Cannot remember if the 69 we had years ago had a fan!

11. Nigel

Nigel Member

Presumably you are referring to this beastie:

[​IMG]

1968~79 VW Type 2, heater-control-lever assembly & heater-booster fan's switch

White nylon spacer, with ΒΌ inch ground teminal, on the dashboard, control-lever, spindle bracket, which fits behind the instrument panel. This provides the switch-current ground, for the relay of the stock, factory-fitted, heater-booster fan (located in the engine compartment), of the 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2. They act as the fan switch, when the flaps on the exhaust heat exchangers are opened. This type of spacer, is NOT found on the 1968~79 VW 1600 Type 2, but can be retro-fitted, if desired, as I have done, on my 1973 VW 1600 Type 2.

I used both the white nylon spacer with ground terminal, in series with a single-pole dashboard switch, so that the electric booster fan only operates, when the heat-exchanger flaps are open, but doesn't operate unless the dashboard switch is also closed.

12. Nigel

Nigel Member

Unless he has moved, Frank Wognum, the author of this web page, lives in Chelmsford, Essex, England. Several years ago, he bought one of my spare cross-over-arm, pantograph rear-window wiper systems, for his 1968~79 VW Type 2. :cool:

Doesn't your official owners' handbook explain and illustrate the procedures!?!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  13. crazy

crazy Member

So happy I found this thread. She gets cold in Tas over winter! Brrrr

14. jeremybillett

jeremybillett Member

Don't mean to revive an old thread but this was extremely useful, just wish I knew this on the way home from Bathurst in the middle of the night a few months back haha

15. Winged

Winged Member

Can you remove and clean them?

16. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

i had an oil leak (rocker cover gasket) that went into them.

all i did was disconected the long heater tube that goes to the front of the cab and left the heaters on for a few months to burn all the oil .

works fine now and no smells :)

17. Winged

Winged Member

Great news. Beats $420 a pop or asphyxiation. Not sure wether mine are oily but wouldn't be surprised as the system is mainly complete (apart from a crushed larynx from some bad jack choices) but was disconnected at the where the cable joins the boxes. Thanks

18. vwfreak03

vwfreak03 Well-Known Member

My heater cables are disconnected so for six months of the year I use a cable tie to open up the flap and then in summer I cut the cable tie to closed the flap ;)

19. Poz

Poz Member

I just poked my head under my bus (73) and noticed a strange looking pipe that wasn't connected on one end. After googling what it was, its the heater elbow pipe. Its connected on front end, but not to the rear.
    First question is: should I be driving it?
    Two; is this something I (with no real idea) I could attempt at fixing myself?

20. Poz

Poz Member

I just went back underneath. I worked out where the "flap" was. There was nothing in front of it to slide the end of the pipe onto, but when I pushed it up, the pipe rested against the flap area well and wasn't easily shifted.
    Now i figure I'm either missing a part/seal or thats just how it sits.