The Type 2 Heating System Explained

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by rays76bay, May 20, 2007.

1. Box Car Jones

Box Car Jones New Member

I ran mine "on" and disconnected the tubes for a few months but still have an unpleasant oily smell when I reconnected. Is there anyway to treat, clean or mitigate the oil residue in the heater boxes?

2. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

The heater boxes will still have oil in them so you need to clean them, or replace them. You could try spraying degreaser in the air holes and letting it sit a while, then wash it out and run the engine to dry them. Taking the casing off is risky as most are old and can be impossible to fit back correctly.

Adrian

3. jaybay

jaybay Member

The backing plate on the alternator seems to be able to be installed with the vent facing up or the vent facing down.
    I can't seem to find any info on which way it should go.
    I can't rely on how it was when i pulled it apart because lots of other stuff on the van had been installed incorrectly.
    Any clues?
    Thanks IMG_0574.JPG

4. jaybay

jaybay Member

5. DoZy

DoZy New Member

Since this thread is sort of alive again-
    I'm working on the heater system myself now (its winter in Melbourne!)... I actually bought some 2nd hand cables years ago and am just getting around to it. I'm relieved to find these cables do work!

Now, everything has gone OK up to the point where I need to remove the old cables from the conduits (tubes) under the van. And they are STUCK :eek:( Both of them. The inners are frozen and the outers just will not move.

Digging around and it seems 71whitewesty over at TheSamba had the same problem (http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=322553 <- some good info & pics here). rustbus had the same problem and ended up breaking the cable. The solution was to cable-tie the new ones on the outside.

Are there any other suggestions for getting these cables out? If its hard to get out, how hard to get the new ones in?

Cheers
    DoZy

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  6. chewtah

chewtah Guest

These sort of things can have exhaust leaks that go into the heater system and quickly end up in the cabin. Is there no 12 volt fan heater available?

7. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Had one frozen some time ago. squirt CRC or equivalent into the tube and leave for a while. Pull and tug then CRC and leave for another while. It should come out eventually.

8. chewtah

chewtah Guest

12 volt heater.jpg Are these sort of things any good ? 12 volt truck heater

9. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Power = Volts x Amps

If you have 12 Volts then at 1 Amp you get 12 Watts

12W wouldnt keep a flea in the Sahara warm

So - lets go to 120 Watts. and now you are chewing 10 Amps. Thats a LOT of Amps

What is the Watts of the truck heater?

OK - just found one on Ebay - 300W - has heavy duty fused wiring and comes with a 30 amp fuse and holder

You will want to make sure you have some SERIOUS wires to power that baby

10. chewtah

chewtah Guest

Well they make a variety of them, and it would circulate the cabin air through it and each pass would make it hotter.

11. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

in theory.
    unfortunately the reality is likely to be that losses from the cold windows and panels[to say nothing of incoming drafts] would be greater than the 300W from heater.
    Might give some comfort to the person its directed at ??
    Also means there is an additional significant constant electrical load.

Most heater boxes have an insulated panel inside which contains a woven material[asbestos or fibreglass??].
    I would expect most have deteriorated somewhat and may continue to stink for some considerable time if contaminated with oil or degreaser.
    plenty of solvents that may get rid of the oil but obviously it will not be a job done in situ.
    Probably the pick of solvents for dunking to remove oil would be Trichloroethane111. Then air dry and heat to remove all traces.
    Its listed as a 'safety solvent' :rolleyes:??? that only mean it has a high flash point.
    Very hazardous if inhaled or consumed.
    safety gear is essential.
    But it does evaporate without leaving a residue if used correctly.

Acetone should do a similar job and easier to obtain but has a low flashpoint so be sure to air the items fully before fitting:eek:

probably worth degreasing the external casing first to limit contamination of the good [read ,expensive]solvent when dunking.

also, most heater boxes are usually rotten on the ends or crimps so that would need repair as well.
    plus sort the oil leak.

john doherty likes this.
  12. jobell

jobell Active Member

Just found this thread. Didn't know that I could have heating AND de-misting as an added bonus. What a luxury! Sadly I'm pretty sure Miss D is missing some of the expensive bits needed for this little exercise, but I'll have to do a bit of a reccy and see what's actually there. I live in hope.