1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the wave

Discussion in 'Kombi Spotting' started by dakdak, Jun 21, 2014.

1. dakdak

dakdak Member

every weekend i drive my dakdak around the coast and do the wave as ive always done to bays and splitties when i see them.i even had a brand new vw camper thingo wave at me the other day.but t3's don't seem to get it,one half wave and the others must be stolen or something,so ive decided t3's have to wave first, too many blank looks

2. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

Cos there not kombis ( ducks for cover ) ;)

3. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

You obviously haven't passed one of my T3's then? :rolleyes:

4. nickc

nickc Member

Yep never had a T3 wave!:umm:

5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Nor mine - a bit harder these days as don't have a VW

6. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

I always wave at Splitties and Bays in plenty of time as their so slow. :lol:

peter drogi likes this.
  7. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day all. on the wave issue do we as vw nuts physco's etc is there a formal wave as per hey charger day's if not maybe form 1 then we as vw owners can use it & the informal 1 for T3's & later.

just joking T3 owners I consider them a very good vehicle with some built in problems

ernie

8. wirrah

wirrah Well-Known Member

I find bay owners are the least likely to wave back when I'm driving my T3... They seem to be transiting in some sort of parallel universe where the term "kombi" has some strange and ritualistic meaning that has no traction in the real world. ;)

But what would I know. I own and drive both and have done for many an orbiting planetoid.

9. Amanda

Amanda Member

Well I for one love the wave and it leaves me with a silly grin on my face for quite a while after ! But I do find T3s reluctant I also wave at beetles and find them more hit than miss :lol:

10. roverbay

roverbay Active Member

G'day all. beetle owners forget that the beetle is a kombi sportscar
    ernie

peter drogi likes this.
  11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Even when travelling in the same direction, I ALWAYS slow down whilst passing bays and splits, to give them a wave, before I resume normal speed and disappear into the distance....:p

12. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

I wave to everyone in VW doesn't matter what model !! :lol:

13. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

for some strange reason, I believe that :lol:

14. tweedle

tweedle Member

As a T3 owner, alway wave at bays & splits - no wave returned (never). Come on guy's we're all from the same family!

15. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

It's always nice to get a return wave but it shouldn't be the only reason you wave I reckon.

16. stusbus

stusbus Well-Known Member

Hi Tweedle,

See now if you lived in Qld you would probably get the wave back , but sometimes we don't get the "wave" even up here !!:lol:

17. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

I always get a wave, but it depends on the wave, sometimes it's the longboard, sometimes it's the short :umm:

18. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

That belongs in the crap joke thread Mike !! :p

19. Amanda

Amanda Member

Hi guys , just to expand on the wave. I took a friend for a cruise up the Sunshine Coast today in Ollie and we saw another kombi coming in the other direction. I said " get ready you have to wave " she reluctantly did and when the driver waved back she was ecstatic. At Noosa when leaving the national park we saw a parked kombi with someone sitting in the driving seat. My friend waved about 3 times and really was filled with joy when she received one in return. All the way home she was wishing to see another. To elaborate this is a woman in her 40's !:) .
    My son suffers from depression and bi polar , I know a guaranteed way to lift his mood is to cruise in the kombi. Here's an idea ; a mobile psychologist ( in a kombi of course ) you pick the patient up and cruise while you chat and maybe have a park at the beach. Instant uplifting of spirits. And maybe you could call the kombi PATCH as in Patch Adams.
    Just a ramble ...thanks for reading.
    Amanda

elouise likes this.
  20. scooterlabs

scooterlabs Member

You never forget your first crazy wave. You also never forget your first snub. My last time around in the late 80's it was hit and miss as bay kombis were also for people who coudn't afford a hiace.
    Now it would be hard to find a person who hasn't gone to a lot of trouble to be driving a kombi that day. I did get my first snub for the modern era recently and it brought me down (and made me feel silly) . I just told myself that this guy was grouchy as his eccentric boss (or dad) made him drive a car with no heating.