1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tight Valve Clearance?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by GypsyWannabe, Jul 31, 2007.

1. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

OK. Somehow I shorted something out and fried the condensor. When I fix it (hopefully this weekend), I think all (hopefully) I need is a new tyre or two for my blue slip. (Then the fun begins!)

However, when I replace the condensor, I know I'll have to reset the (new) points and check the valve clearances etc.

I am very conscious of the fact that (a) Janie is only running on 3 and a half cylinders (I wouldn't know myself but the mechanic I am taking it to for the blue slip heard it and said straight away that's that what it was); and (b) No 4 exhaust valve clearance is very tight even with the adjuster bolt thingy all the way out!

Question 1: Would the tight valve clearance on No. 4 exhaust valve be the reason for it running 'only on 3 and a half cylinders'?

Question 2: Am I likely to be in need of an engine rebuild and how much is this likely to cost? (1800 twin carb)

Thanks,

Baz

PS. Go gently with me!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  2. kombidaze

kombidaze Member

sorry to hear of your mechanical problem baz
    here are a couple of answers based on my experiences with similar problems

question 1: yep you have a very recessed seat the valve will be way up inside the head (compared to where it should be) your engine will not be performing very well the more you drive it the worse it will get it also will put extra strain on the rest of the motor best get it looked at.

question 2: yep the head can probably be rebuilt should cost around $300 to rebuild head (new head $500) plus labour to take out motor pull head and then put it all back together maybe conservative 8 hours X labour rate plus a bit on top for a few replacement bits such as push rod tube o rings, exhaust gaskets etc.

many people will tell you not to get heads rebuilt but it depends who's doin it your mechanic should be able to look at the head and give you a professional opinion as to what shape its in.

if it was me and i was cashed up i would replace both heads with new ones and get a new set of rings installed whilst everything was apart, but i do all my own work and i ain't rich i've just put a set of rings in a 2 litre motor and a second hand head since the original head had a similar problem to yours, its back on the road and going ok but i don't expect the heads to last that long.

3. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

As kombidaze said the valve is probably recessed & therefore leaking and will only get worse.
    My advice would be to pull the engine yourself, strip it yourself and see if the heads are fixable. There's nothing wrong with a re-machined head if you've got a decent lump with no cracks to start with.
    I'm in the middle of the same process Baz and it ain't that hard. My heads look ok and my local machinist will recon them for about $200.00 each. (always do both!!) I'm checking the bores, replacing the rings and I'm (reluctantly) splitting the crankcase to check/replace everything that needs it while the engine's out. How am I checking these things? By asking experts mate. I pull it apart and take the bits I'm not sure of to someone who is sure of what they're looking at and listen to their advice. They're not going to try to rip me off because they know that I'll be doing it myself.
    It'll take me a while to do it all but in the end I'll have an engine that I can confidently rely on for another 100,000 kms.
    Then when people comment on your dirty fingernails, you can say that's not dirt, that's Kombi Blood. I'm a Kombi surgeon mate!

Bite the bullet Baz. Get a bit of experience around you (I'm sure that there are KC members who'll give you a hand, offer advice, loan you tools, drink your beer!) get everything ready and go for it.

You can't drive a bus on 3 & a half cylinders for long mate. You've come this far so you may as well go the next few metres!

All the best mate.

Ray & da Boyz

4. kombikid76

kombikid76 New Member

can be one or a combination of things.

it could be the valve seat receeding into the head (common)
    or it could be the valve stem stretching (common)

if it is the valve stretching i wouldnt drive it any more than you have to, if the valve snaps and hits your piston or bounces around in the combustion chamber it will end up costing a lot more than a new valve or valve job.

get it looked at asap.

5. kombimatt

kombimatt Active Member

Baz,

My quote for a total engine rebuild 1800 was $4500.

Have heard that other places down my way are up to $6000 tho.

I'm going to have the motor pulled and have everything checked first and have heads done and then make a decision from there.

6. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

remove the adjuster and check if its pocketed they go soft and give you an incorrect tappet clearance

7. GypsyWannabe

Aahhh!!!! :eek: You're all scaring me!!! Particularly Kombimatt!

If the adjuster is the bolt, I've taken that right out and it's still hard to get the feeler gauge through.

I would love to have a go at removing the engine and rebuilding it one day, learning along the way, but I will just not find enough weekends to do that and the wife would not understand!

I guess I'll have to try and pass rego so that I can drive it to a VW mechanic to check it out. There is no reputable mechanic close enough to sneak down the backroads unregistered. Damn it!!!

Baz

8. Organichead

Organichead New Member

Unlucky Baz. Mate if you convince 'her in doors' you need a few weekends to save $6000, so you can rebuild your life' I'll come and give you a hand. Even though I have absolutely no idea what needs to be done. But, I am about to pull mine apart (few weeks) and have some fun even though it's not bust. So could be an oportunity to learn together. Kombi blood on our hands, bacon sarnies in our belly and pints of ale just because we can...... Now that may take some convincing...All the best whatever you decide.......org........

9. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

I'm with you on that one Baz - $4,500 for a REBUILD? I'd want a gold plated one for that kind of dosh - but am possibly being unrealistic..... ;)

Best of luck getting it sorted - I can sympathise about not having enough free weekends to get things done, but if it can save you some big $$ it might be worth a go?

10. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

Roy has new donks available for around the $2,000.00 mark.

Save your money mate, get your hands dirty!!

Ray & da Boyz

11. GypsyWannabe

I'll take you up on that! I wouldn't mind driving up the mountains to give you a hand. You pull your engine apart first and then I'll know what gear I need to do it!

Baz

12. GypsyWannabe

I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty but I will need a lot of guidance and some helping hands because I'll get no help at home otherwise - not sure I could do it on my own. Especially when I don't have a lot of tools (e.g. ramps, trolley jack, engine stand) or the foggiest! :)

I must get the John Muir book out of the library again to to get some inspiration!

Baz

13. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

I've had more help from this community of ours than I could have ever imagined. The help's there Baz and the great part is that it's willing help.

You'll never look at your bus the same way again mate, and if you stuff up, you've still saved the cost of having someone else pull the engine and strip it.

Go for it Baz!!!! You know you want to!!!

Ray & da Boyz

14. GypsyWannabe

Yeah, I do! I'll have to work out how much the parts are goiing to cost, plus any machining etc. and I just might have a go!

Of course, I am quite conscious of the 35 y.o. outboard motor I pulled apart 12 months ago. It was working fine, I just wanted to tweak it a bit and shorten the shaft to suit my punt - it's still sitting under the house cos I couldn't quite put it back together! :confused: I haven't been fishing since! Of course, I don't have a workshop manual for the outboard...

Cheers,

Baz

15. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

There's a bit of a difference between taking your time and never getting around to it mate!
    If you'd had raving loonie outboard motor freaks whipping you on to finish that 12 months would have been 12 days!!!
    Once you start we won't let you rest until your finished Baz!!:D
    AND we'll want heaps of pictures/posts/kombi stories .......... you name it!

Sleeves up, a quick slug of used brake fluid and into it!!!!!!

All the best mate.

Ray & da Boyz

16. Organichead

Organichead New Member

Cheers Baz, You got me ha ha, I was hoping to get yours buggered up first, but hey what the hell, your welcome to join me for kombi blood and ale. I've just got to work out which end the engine is. I too will do my research to work out whats required.
    Um, a bit of advice from the kombi family would be welcome, oh, and I have just purchased the bible!. (mr muir.)

17. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

Use the force boys, use the force!

Look forward to the posts.

Ray & da Boyz

18. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

I think BC is gonna be having the donkey out soon... 75PSI dry in one cylinder isnt ideal! :eek:

I think in BC's case tho it may be a ring problem... I hope. :eek:

19. kombikid76

kombikid76 New Member

seems to be the season for dropping engines... dropped mine on wednesday.

Just replacing some seals, cleaning up the heaters and some other crap but if you guys want any pics or help, ask away ;-)

once youve rebuilt your bus engine you will realise it isnt actually that hard!

20. GypsyWannabe

Org - let me know when you're starting. I can help pass the spanners! :) No, seriously I'd love to give you a hand. I've got a friend with a beetle, too, who's tossing up whether to have go himself or take it to Andrew Dodd.

Schmo, you're a little further away but I'd be up for a drive to JB.

Kombikid76 - some pics would be handy - like, I don't even know what gear I need, but I assume I can't lift the motor on my own.

Might have to have a workshop/barbie etc at my place.

Baz

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007