1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time for a Bay

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by 2slow, Jan 2, 2007.

1. 2slow

2slow Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of getting rid of the split in favour of a bay with a pop top so I can fit the family in for camping but first a few questions of the Bay people:

Can two small kids sleep in the roof?

Can or do you have two seatbelts in the back of a bay for tavelling?

How roomy is the fold down bed in the back?

Thanks

Bobby

2. brookie

brookie Guest

The standard roof bed is larger than usual seat/bed below and will support 180kgs.

Most Australian bays that were campers from new had two or three seatbelts in rear. If not The BusStop has bar and kit

Standard width is cuddly:)

3. kaye and rex

kaye and rex New Member

Hi we have a 1979 Bay Camper(sunliner)

3 seat belts in back seat,haven't used the bed up top as there are only the 2 of us,the fold down bed is comfy and thats from a rather rotund lady (me) and average size hubby it is cuddly but we like it (rekindled our lost youth)seriously you do get a good nights sleep!

Hope this helps!

We are going to try out the overhead bed with our 2 grandsons age 5 and 6!

goodluck finding your bay
    cheers
    Kaye

4. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

mish13

We have just brought a 1974 bay camper and as yet have not used the bed up the top. I am sure the kids would love it and have no problem climbing up. ( I would) The Kombi came with two seat belts in the back but we later found out they are not legal. Check the compliance plate to see if it is compliant for two or four. We have a few modifications to make then we will try again to get it compliant for four. Happy shopping

5. 4hammers

4hammers Active Member

Hey Bobby.
    I have a 77 (or 78) Sopru camper, that easily sleeps 4. My kids are 9 & 11 & they fit up top quite well, even though they are both tall for their age. If your kids were younger, no problems at all.
    Mine has seatbelts in back for 2 & is licenced to seat 4.
    There is certainly enough room for 2 in the fold down bed, quite comfy. Mine also has a tent screen thing, that fits in the opening around the rear tailgate opening, that is great when it is a little hot. More air can get in.
    Annexe fits on the side, so we use the bay for sleeping & hanging out for feeds & cooking during the day & the a small tent for staorage of clothing etc while we sleep of a night. They are cramped if you tried to spend a whole day in one playing cards though!!

Rob J

6. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

just a little hint for all you bed lovers , i just bought a egg cup overmattress
    they are foam
    kmart are selling double bed size for $40.00 bucks after xmas sales
    i saw the same thing in clark rubber for $110.00 , i got one and its better than my own bed , the egg cup foam works wonders , have a sniff round the stores in the bedding dept's for them , you will need to make up mattress cover for it , if any one is handy with the sewing machine it will be a breeze
    or cheats way out buy a double fitted sheet to go over the top . guess which way i went !!
    ps you sleep on the egg cup side too not the flat side of the foam

7. Kombi Trip

Kombi Trip Member

My two boys slept in the pop-top together on several camping trips and it was their 'clubroom'.
    Was OK up until when the eldest was above 10 or so ... then we got a camper trailer to put them both in!
    We still sleep in the van with the toddler in the pop top.

If the kids are young make sure you have a setup that they can't fall out the top. No 2 son did our first time camping .. he was fine , he didn't even know he did it. I cut my head sitting up so fast when it happened and banging it on the roof:lol: Could have been much worse.

I reckon the back seat in a camper is no good (downright dangerous in our case)for more than 2... sink etc no neck support for older kids/adults. We have trashed the interior as they got older for a seat that doubles as a bed instead of a bed that makes do as a seat (the old rock and roll bed).
    My daily driver is the bay pop top. T3 kombis are cheap at the moment.

PS.. Keep the splitty too! I reckon Kombis look less and less cool as they get more recent. A liitle bit of soul and style got left behind in each design. Oops .. did i type that or was I just thinking it? ;)

8. kaye and rex

kaye and rex New Member

Hi
    did you have to cut the foam mattress, we have bought one but it is too big, I need to cut it it's a double one as well even bought fitted sheet to go over the top i believe they use these in the hospitals as my sister was given her's when she left hospital after being there for 3mths after a car accident(NO NOT IN A KOMBI).I believe our bed must be "a rock 'n'roll" as it is a seat that turns into a bed I didn't know that there were other types??

cheers

Kaye

9. ttmck

kaye in my spare time i used to make sofa beds with a mate of mine we sold hundreds to stores and we used electric knife to cut the foam goes thru the foam like a hot knife thru butter .
    did you get the egg cup mattress or foam

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  10. brookie

brookie Guest

Rock and roll is what Aussies used to call click/clacks or Nite and day.

We had the egg crate mattress in our MB camper over normal bed and it was magic. Bought at Clark Rubber and they cut it to size.

11. kaye and rex

kaye and rex New Member

egg cup! cat loves it !! but we haven't tried it yet,thanks for the tip about cutting it.
    cheers
    Kaye

12. ttmck

you will just love it the cat wont even get a look in once you have slept'd on it . happy cutting !

13. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

Hey Rob, any chance of a pic?? Was thinking of crafting something like this also!

Bobby, I have 2 kids, 9 and 12. Have just now purchased a tidy little dome to go along side Bay for "Minister of War and Finance" and I. Kids can now be 1 up and 1 down. Pre this age though, no probs with them both upstairs. BUT it is a tight fit for all 4. Enjoyed first weekend with the Tent addition and it made for a much more comfy night! the lower bed is remarkably comfortable!
    Rich

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  14. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

I'm driving a microbus with no bed (yet) but my '69 lowlight had a full width rock & roll that I would put a queen size futon over.
    Very comfortable!

Ray & da Boyz

ps don't sell the split!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  15. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

mish13

Thanks for the tip was not sure how to over come the problem of the seat being to hard. We have been to KMart and have brought it for $40 on special. Its queen size so we will just need to cut it to fit.
    Thanks

16. ttmck

mish best $40 bucks you will spend , its a drug thou once you have slept'd on it you just come back for more , and as if you needed any more encouragement ! too sleep in your kombi .

17. 4hammers

4hammers Active Member

Yep, sure. Will try & remember tomorrow. If I don't post, fire a PM my way to remind me!!

Rob J

18. almarker

almarker Member

Someone who's Bay we looked at when we were buying said his friend "Big Bob" slept on the top bed after a huge night on Bundy and God knows what else. Apparently Big Bob weighed aboout 150kg and the seller of the Kombi was using the fact that the upper bed didn't collapse as a selling point for sleeping kids upstairs... Hmmm....

Anyway, downstairs bed is very comfy and we also have egg-cup foam as Tom suggests. It is fantastic. The only downside we have encountered is that the Kombi gets extremely hot after about 9am in Summertime. We have 2 adults and nearly 100kg worth of dog (2 of them) in the small space and everyone is hot and adding to the heat inside. We tried sleeping the dogs in the annexe (we have a huge room annexe off the side, completely sealed with floor and door etc) but they got scared and now the biggest one sleeps under the rock 'n roll bed and the smaller one on the passenger seat. Either way, it gets hot so Rob's flyscreen device would come in handy. Without the convenience, at least it forces you to make the most of the day...

Don't hesitate getting a Bay camper. Do think long and hard about your reasons for getting rid of the split. Too slow it may be but priceless it sure is...

Tara

19. ttmck

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  20. almarker

almarker Member

Tom - how funny! I never met Big Bob - I only met the Melbourne (Brunswick) based guy selling the Kombi. He had long black dreadlocks and the most bizarre Kombi you could imagine. It had a Mac truck bull bar on it, so as you can imagine, it handled like a supermarket trolley and about four speakers on long lengths of speaker wire that you took outside of the Kombi to make an ampitheatre out of. So... it could have been the Adelaide "king of radio" Big Bob's mate, since they were so keen on loud music etc.... Who knows. One of life's great mysteries, like the Pyramids, I suppose!

Tara