1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tinted Window?!

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by openwindows, Oct 28, 2019.

1. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

The amount of light transmission.
    Side by side the difference of the 2 across the full screen area is quite obvious.
    Disregarding any strip across the top

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

openwindows and Grantus like this.
  3. openwindows

openwindows New Member

Thanks that is really helpful

4. openwindows

openwindows New Member

To be clear re the privacy comment, given the advice seems to assume I don't know much! The privacy is not at night (obviously i have curtains) and not for driving (again, thought obvious). I am keen to have greater privacy for during the day (changing at beach etc) and when parked so that all my stuff is not on show to the general passer if I opt not to pull the curtains everytime I park.
    Thanks for the advice tho :)

5. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

That’s a bit harsh, but we have to assume that, based on the initial information you supplied in your post. (Mentioning 80-90 tint????, was a clue) o_O
    Some may assume, that a dark tint will give privacy whilst camping overnight, so it was just to clarify to all who may read this thread, that it’s not the case. ;)

As you have now defined, that you actually also have curtains, & that it’s daytime privacy you are after, (neither mentioned in your original post), if you don’t mind the inconsistency of lighter legal front side windows, with darker middle and rear side windows, go as dark a tint you can buy.

Many prefer to continue the 35% legal tint right along both sides for aesthetic reasons.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    oldman likes this.
  6. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely not.....o_O
    There is nothing obvious in your request for opinions......how on earth do we know that you have curtains....? or that you even sleep in your kombi ?
    Advice was given accordingly.
    The range of competency within KC varies between complete beginners without experience, through to seasoned, reliable and proven members who are sources of valid information.....
    We have no idea of where you sit within this spectrum.
    You asked for opinions, you got 'em !!
    All good....;)
    Cheers,
    Mark

Wayne murray likes this.
  7. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

Hi Alison, on the rear section of my sprinter I went with the darkest I could get from Solartint...with the curtain closed on the driver's side (always is) you can't see in on the passenger side... but you can see out fine. Patrick
    IMG_20191029_210012_267.jpg

My Golf has tint that's legal for the front on the back as well. I haven't tinted any of my Kombis over the years - depends what overall look (or function) you are after

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Grantus likes this.
  8. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

IMG_20191101_120957_898.jpg IMG_20191101_121024_269.jpg

David H and Grantus like this.
  9. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Is the effect the opposite at night with a light on inside the van.
    As in can't see out but can see in?

10. oldman

oldman Super Moderator Staff Member

Most definitely!
    The original poster is aware of that.....;)
    Cheers,
    Mark