Tobias The Remembered

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Resnort, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Hi everyone!

I'm Bodo and I've been hanging around for a at least 6 months now, putting in my 2 cents here and there.
    I finally found the time (while waiting for a foxtel support call.....:mad:) to start a thread on my old family Vanagon.
    He's a 1982, 2litre, aircooled, injected, 4 speed T3/T25/Vanagon that my parents Brought over new from Germany already RHD converted. He spent his life, many Km's, 3 engine rebuilds and some questionable maintenance as the pool van :) later painted yellow and covered in the work livery by Nils as a mild revamp. The gearbox gave up the ghost a few years later and I offered to pay for it as Dad intended on retiring him, and in return I got the car :)

After many years of loyal service and much camping. My Wife and I have affectionately named him "Tank" due to size, simplicity, and ability to just keep on ticking......
    But that all ended a few years ago when he just died one day ( assumed ECU or sensor issue) while my brother (not Nils) was driving it. At the time it seemed logical to put him aside for now as I had 3 cars, rego and insurance was starting to get expensive.
    A few years passed as I intended to cover him from the elements but never got around to it and then my Brother Nils posted this thread http://forums.kombiclub.com/threads/the-forgotten.52409/
    Little did he know I would be starting so soon, and I had no idea he had posted this till some way into the rebuild.

enough blabber from me, here he is...still not on the road 113_1319 (Large).JPG pool_vehicles.jpg 108_0847 (Large).JPG 070916_222740 (Large).jpg IMG_4366 (Large).JPG stacked van.jpg FB_IMG_1436223975849 (Large).jpg

Syncro27 and melissa like this.
  2. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Nice work Bodo.

These old buses should be able to go on historic rego now - maybe try that as rego and insurance is sooo much more bearable.

The bus looks great now too - brilliant effort.

3. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Think you got your wires crossed there Scott, the photo with my ole' green bay is probably 12 years old, thats just after the last respray.

Any headway on tuning Bodo?

Resnort likes this.
  4. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Or Scott is referring to the latest pics in the linked thread....;)

5. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Not yet, other than moving the van home, clearing it out, mounted the coilpack, and neatened the loom. tucks very nicely into the top edge of the bay, with just tails hanging out.

But I think I've spent more time cleaning and sorting tools and putting my shed back how it should be

6. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Working a little backwards in the timeline here. But I'm pretty excited to hear the fuel pump run today. one of the few minor things to finalise before sending him to the tuner :)

I'll flush some fuel through the whole system tomorrow then start on cleaning up under the dash. so close to running I can taste it P9240002 (Large).JPG P9180046 (Large).JPG

Syncro27, Dapom and Grantus like this.
  7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

And what a sweet taste that is! :)

Know THAT feeling!

Good stuff........

Resnort likes this.
  8. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Haven't done much on the car the last few weeks, have had other things on my mind. here are a few random photos :)

P9240001 (Large).JPG
    3D printed non distributing distributor cap :)

P9170033 (Large).JPG bar for towage, thanks Nils!

IMG_20160423_225750 (Large).jpg

9. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

I remember seeing that Bay lowlight Baja at some VW events ;):D

Resnort likes this.
  10. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Engine is all good to go for tune and run in! other than a head temp sender......:oops:

PA090066 (Large).JPG

Kabelsalat cleaned up under the dash
    PA050007 (Large).JPG

o2 sensor installed
    PA020018 (Large).JPG

Some rust control and sound deadener for the front.
    PA080048 (Large).JPG

Now to start on cleaning and putting the cab back together......till I can afford to send him off for a tune and a head temp sender solution is reached.

Syncro27 likes this.
  11. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Hey mate :) if it's the standard temp sensor you're chasing I managed to grab a new genuine one from stokers VW a couple of months back. Was the only place I found one in the country! Holden Barinas (sb if I remember right) also uses the same temp sensor (same Bosch part number) but I had no joy finding one at the wreckers or at the (mighty unhelpful) Holden dealer.

Resnort likes this.
  12. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Cheers for the heads up. Factory should be fine, but with the ecu I could retrofit anything. Problem is a CHT sender isn't that commonly used on the ground.

Don't happen to have that part number do you?

13. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Sure do mate. Bosch number 0-280-130-012 and written on the bag in biro is 311906041A which I'm pretty sure is the VW number. Check ratwell to confirm that :)
    **edit** that Bosch part number covers all fuel injected aircooled VW's after '75. So as long as you're later than a '75 model the VW number is irrelevant.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Resnort likes this.
  14. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Had no luck with the Barina alternative, not even a picture.

I'll give stokers a call tomorrow. otherwise im thinking I can use a bike/plane style spark plug CHT sender...just not sure if the ECU will agree with my ideas

15. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Yeah the barina one proved elusive for me too. Maybe it's a bit of Google folklore.
    I've been looking at cht sender for a temp gauge and most of the bike ones didn't have a hot enough working range. All the plane ones I found were for microlights with vw engines and really expensive lol good luck!!
    Ps all the online parts stores in Aus (sparesbox etc) can get the temp 2 sensor....10 weeks ex Germany.

16. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

might ask a german to send me one over if theyre all hording them

Dapom likes this.
  17. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

does anyone know the specs for the sensor. ie is it a k or j thermocouple or an ntc or ptc resistor type?

Resnort likes this.
  18. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Dapom likes this.
  19. Andy.

Andy. Active Member

Very cool, love the AC T3's.
    If you get bored I have a couple you can do up for me :)

20. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Dapom and Resnort like this.