Tobias The Remembered

Discussion in 'Members Rides' started by Resnort, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Long time no post...to busy driving and working to pay for all the work I've done.

Dapom likes this.
  2. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

here goes, my last few months of tinkering and driving. almost 3000km down and definitely ready to finish him up.

Since the weather started getting colder he's been getting more and more grumpy at 6am on my way to work, coughing, spluttering, and bucking around until some sort of running temperature is achieved.......which has been a drama in itself, Barely reaching 80 degrees even on the highway. so I added the thermostat, which to be honest made fark all difference other than creating a safety H block to allow oil to keep flowing (if) the cooler blocks up. it's closed bypass is still enough to over cool in the winter mornings.
    and therefore hasn't fixed or helped the stutters much. 20170430_141756 (Medium).jpg
    Next step I took off the exhaust wrap from the header pipes to the thermostat so the engine and exhaust warms it quicker, which did make a difference.
    Then I made a shield to stop the direct air flow to the cooler, this made by far the biggest difference as it actually warms up on the highway now.
    20170513_125053 (Medium).jpg
    Having done all i can about the temp, it was time to start sorting out the new idle control motor, which after all sorts of back and forth dramas with the supplier is finally ready to install. I had to rethink the hoses that run to it, and run another wire from the ECU to control it. 20170527_094517 (Medium).jpg 20170614_181903 (Medium).jpg

Acquired this guy in between my new travel buddy. Meet Tyson, he'll be taking Toby's place in the passenger seat. 8 years old, and a rescue dog. :)
    20170614_143544 (Medium).jpg
    then finished the ICS wiring.
    20170625_124425 (Medium).jpg
    and climbed underneath for a checkup and some throttle cable management. which was getting snagged on the rear tinware a bit.
    20170625_142810 (Medium).jpg
    He's booked into Leon Motors for the final tune and fit up of the ICS on monday the 10th to hopefully fix the economy and get rid of my cold stutters and nonsense.

oh, and I mounted this.....pity it's for coil signal not ECU, lucky I've had it for years :)
    20170618_104523 (Medium).jpg

David H, grantw, Syncro27 and 4 others like this.
  3. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

Really nice work again mate

Resnort likes this.
  4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Your standing in the world just went up 5 places

Great looking mate

May you have many happy km's together

Resnort likes this.
  5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice work Bodo ;) and many happy journeys with Tyson :D ...... great to see a happy rescue dog :)

David H likes this.
  6. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Thanks for the kind words guys :)
    Finally hooked this guy up on a switch too. I did it with a switch because I'd like to use it without keys in the ignition.
    20170615_195535 (Medium).jpg

Syncro27 likes this.
  7. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

Good to see work continues - do you have a digital analogue converter for the tach (have a $6 fix if you don't) ? AND is that a semaphored oval parked next to your bus?????? Very jealous if it is.

8. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

I do not have the converter. It was something i didnt even think about and the $6 fix would be greatly appreciated.
    It is a semaphore bug, but not an oval. Its the first car I ever built '59 model with a few go fast bit.....ive had it for 17years now, off the road for about 5 years now. One day he will roll again.

9. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

The Haltech solution for a homemade DAC for a coil negative triggered taco reading a digital square wave ECU output signal is to mod a 12 volt 2o amp relay with the internal contacts removed and a 1k Ohm resistor in line from the ECU digital pulse output and #86 on the relay, #86 also feeds the analogue tacho input. A 12 volt ignition feed powers #85 on the relay. Thats it and all for $6.02 from JAYCAR - not the $120US jobbies.

Resnort and cbus like this.
  10. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Cheers. Glad i routed the tacho signal via the fuse/relay box then

11. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Turns out the Links ECU needs no converting, just set the RPM sweep of the tacho and off it went :) despite all my internet searching telling me it would probably need it. Andrew down at Leon Motors just said hook it up, worst thing that can happen is it just doesnt work but 90% of them have worked for him.

nils likes this.
  12. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

It's been a busy few months....not much of it on the bus, but all seems pretty well at the moment.

Fixed this guy up as the connections were starting to fray at the resistor end. 20170630_192150 (Medium).jpg

Stiffened this guy up with some dense woven rubber top and bottom then filled the gaps with Sikaflex. It was a bit sloppy and messing with the very touchy throttlebody every time I hit a bump. So far so good and im not paying $110 postage for the T3 techniques replacement option.
    20170716_133352 (Medium).jpg

New idle control motor is in and working. I now have a normal idle......most of the time.
    20170716_162615 (Medium).jpg

Now it's time for a whinge.........Leon motors, after handing them multiple thousands of dollars for parts and work, their work is the only issue Ive had along the line. I told them to add another hour of dyno time to make sure its sorted and I dont need to come back......it stalled 5 times on the way home and ran half of it on 3 cylinders.
    after handing them lots of cash for a job poorly done I then spent half the weekend making him run after the horrendous run home from picking him up ( I should have turned around, thrown the keys at him and told em not to call till it works)

20170716_143648 (Medium).jpg
    Because of the aftermarket ECU Andrew put in a set of shielded mark4 golf leads instead of using the bakerlite ends, and being a tad short were difficult to take out of the rear 2 cylinders......I found this hard myself so I asked him to put fresh plugs in it while he was doing the tune.....needle nose pliers are the only way to get them out and well.....I guess he slipped a few times and the issue turned into no spark at all on No.2 due to it bleeding all the spark through this tear in the rubber. no amount of tape on the outside would mask this as it was bleeding internally. So I pumped it full of silicone, wrapped it in lots of tape and the bandaid worked........brand new parts.
    To now make them removable I've added a wire pull tab to negate the need for pliers. you can see them in the engine bay photo next to each lead end at the bottom.

Monday came, I called and headed back down in my own time after work to get the stalling fixed (not entirely gone even now) where we played with the new idle control motor settings some more. and told them I want new lead ends sent to me .... which of coarse I have heard nothing about.
    Calling them today to remind them.....and to find the distributor cap clips that they lost...apparently in the dyno, I have a felling they are in the tinware or somewhere.....
    Why are all mechanics etc useless? very very few have I ever been happy with.

Carbtech in Redcliffe and Fastline performance in Caboolture (closed now for more than a decade) are the only 2 I've ever been to that I've been completely happy with and didn't have to come back to fix dodgy rushed work.
    I will not be recomending Leon to anyone, If they'd been apologetic or even tried to do right by me after the ass around it might be a different story as Andrew was the only person who could do what I needed done with the tuning........rant out!

The up side is I now have a few more HP, a 900rpm idle, a cold start that allow me to drive normally to work in 6 degree temps, better fuel economy ( testing the first full tank now, but it's looking good) and the ability to power up ranges at 80kmh :cool:
    20170724_145417 (Medium).jpg

13. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Love the Tough Guy Eyelids :)

Resnort likes this.
  14. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

I do want a full eyebrow, but these were made of scraps I had lying around, got a few more designs and shapes I'm going to play with

nils likes this.
  15. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

It's looking great mate and you're getting through it :)
    As you know I wasn't 100% happy with Leon's either. Most of the issue comes down in my opinion to terrible customer service exasperated by a massive ego. It's such a shame as it would be the goto place with an adjustment of attitude.
    If you have t got the new ht leads yet...have you wrapped the split in silicone tape as well as pumping it full?

16. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

The issue now is lack of workers. When you went they still had apprentices, now its just leon and andrew working on the cars.
    I have taped them aswell, only with leccy tape which has plenty of silicone under it, theyre not leaking outward....which is what i thought was the issue initially

17. Dapom

Dapom Well-Known Member

The self fusing silicone tape would be great in that application mate. Reckon the leccy tape will fall off. Bunnings carry rustoleum brand usually in the pvc pipe area :) I've got some in various spots in the engine bay with no degradation :)

Resnort likes this.
  18. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

I got some good leccy tape, sticks and holds to everything. I do have some silicone tape. it is awesome, but I guess the point is I want the right bits not a fix up job, so didnt want to waste good silicone tape on it. plus the leccy tape is glued there with the silicone underneath :)

Dapom likes this.
  19. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

And very laid back :eek:

20. Resnort

Resnort Active Member

Long time no update...... to busy working, driving and tinkering :rolleyes:

I've now done just over 11 thousand km's since putting him back on the road, mostly good with very few hiccups and zero breakdowns :cool:. I'll get some photos and info up soon on all the things I've done since my last post.

chris taylor and Dapom like this.