1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Todays efforts on the motor

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by mr happy, Jun 15, 2018.

1. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Double checked valve setup today and then starting to get the motor / tinware re-assembled, wont be long before i can see if it'll fire up. Had to do a bit of trimming to make new oil cooler fit but so far so good!

Mr h
    IMG_2807.jpg IMG_2809.jpg IMG_2803.JPG IMG_1196.JPG IMG_2778.JPG

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    VZR69, Syncro27, Mr Beckstar and 5 others like this.
  2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Looking excellent Mr Happy;)! Bloody fancy!!!
    Cheers

mr happy likes this.
  3. Campervanstu

Campervanstu Member

Nice looking tinware. Is that paint or powder coat?

4. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Vht spray cans from Autobarn, the red is a silver anodised base coat with a red translucent overcoat, black gloss on the remaining tin ware plus cast iron on the fan housing. Came up pretty good considering, must be my state of the art spray booth!!
    Mr h
    IMG_1165.JPG

Squidy, slobus, David H and 1 other person like this.
  5. rstucke

rstucke Well-Known Member

what's the story with the oil cooler?

6. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Oil cooler was after market from VW hertitage, seems decent quality but i had a couple of mods to make. Firstly, the end where the mounting bracket sits has a small lip on all 4 corners and this needs to be ground off so the bracket fits, secondly, the end where the oil ports are is a slightly different shape than the original and was fouling on the mounting nut for the oil filter manifold. A few minutes with the grinder and dremel, no dramas.
    Mr h

7. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Guys,
    A bit of an update, managed to get a thermostat, bracket, pulley and cable made by awesome powder coat in the US. Also got hold of some 1/8" PT100 resistance thermometers, swagelok fittings and ordered some 12vdc meters. Ran a 1/8" npt tap through both cylinder heads and mounted a temp sensor in each head, then installed a fitting in the oil pan plate for oil temp sensor, getting closer all the time to releasing those 70 horses, can smell the burning rubber now!!
    Will let you know how the meters go when they arrive, they were only around $35 US for the pair,
    Regards
    Mr h
    IMG_2890.jpg IMG_2886.jpg IMG_2887.jpg IMG_2889.jpg

8. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

I stand corrected by myself, temperature displays were $9.99 US each including delivery, don't know how much kop they will be but i can put them on a decade resistance box and check their accuracy

Mr h

IMG_2891.PNG

9. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

How much for the temp sensors?

10. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Col,
    Managed to "acquire" the sensors and fittings free of charge through a friend of mine so unsure what they would cost, fittings are swagelok and would be exy for what they are. These one are all industrial grade and are generally used in process instrumentation which is my trade hence the contact for a couple of freebies.
    Also FYI, i chose pt100 sensors over thermocouple because a thermocouple works on a temperature differential principle and hence if the meter / gauge you run them to does not have cold junction compensation built in then you straight away introduce an error equal to ambient temperature into the system.

E.g.
    Cylinder head temp : 110 deg c
    Temp at point of measurement / meter connection : 30 deg c
    Readout on gauge / meter : 80 deg c

So straight away you can see how this is very detrimental and could leave you with a false sense of security.

A pt100 works on increasing resistance in direct proportion to temperature and so it too is not perfect as wire lengths and resistance will introduce errors but these can be minimised by using "reasonable" gauge cables to run back to the display. You can buy similar probes on ebay for less than $20 but you may need to go up to 1/4" diameter as 1/8" isn't as common on there. I would think 1/4" compression fittings would be readily available at a good price and the quality would not have to be top notch due to the fact we are using them to hold a probe rather than high pressure liquid / gas applications,
    Mr h

cbus likes this.
  11. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

There are a few pt100 probes on amazon.com.au, some pretty cheap. Could be worth a look as long as fittings are available for the probe diameter,

Mr h

12. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Looking gut! Love the red tinware..

13. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

Looks like the Awesome Powdercoat thermostat bracket is improved dimensional quality over the one I received several months ago.

I’ve learnt from my own experience that the oil temp sensor readings are affected by any cooling or heating on the terminal end of the sensor. I’d suggest you consider a shield on the terminal end or your readings may be lower than actual oil temp due to the cooling effect of air flowing past.

mr happy likes this.
  14. mr happy

mr happy Active Member

Thanks for the heads up, was thinking of putting some form of shield across to protect the connection as its likely to protrude 10-15mm below the sump,
    Mr h