1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too Close For Comfort

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ruby6689, Oct 21, 2009.

1. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Camp Keen almost cooks!

A fire that was deliberately lit in the property next door to us had us worried for a few hours today. Andy called me at work to say he had been asked by the police to evacuate but by the time he got the dogs in the car a fire truck had blocked our driveway.
    [​IMG]

It came very close to our gate
    [​IMG]

and within 50 feet of our chook yard, luckily because of the brigades quick response we only lost our fenceline[​IMG]

Andy soon feel back into the roll of firefighter, he was Dept. Captain when we lived in the Blue Mountains.

[​IMG]

Don sent me this link

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/dsp_content.cfm?CAT_ID=683

It must have been a slow news day as it was even on the news and Andy had the regional newspaper knock on the door for comments.

We have never seen it so dry in these parts and it was only a matter of time before we had a wild fire......we were very lucky and owe a huge thanks to our local brigades.

2. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Thats terrible news guys. Stay safe thou. I hate these mongrels who light fires.

3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Good to hear you and Andy are safe Lorraine.

4. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Bloody hell Lorraine!

Luckily Nimbin is a fairly small community and the firebug shall be caught swiftly!

5. 2slow

2slow Member

Wo Lorraine, glad the fire was contained and no one was hurt...lets hope you get some rain over the hotter months. Makes you wonder why someone would light a fire in paradise!

Maybe a sleepless night keeping an eye out for any flare ups?

Bobby

6. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Well done Lorraine!

Looks like it's going to be a bad season all round.

We've been ramping up here in our local RFS too, getting ready for what may happen.... :cry:

Still want to knock off that slogan I read here on KC:

"Find them hot, leave them wet!" for our trucks..... but I'm not sure it would not go down too well..:lol:

7. BargeArse

BargeArse Active Member

OMFG!!! :eek:

That really was too close for comfort, Lorraine. Seeing the photos of your gate and the fence line are very sobering shots. So glad to hear that - first and foremost - yourself, Andy, the dogs and the chooks are unharmed. Also that you guys didn't lose anything property-wise. A massive props to the Rural Fire Brigade (and one of Andy's past lives!) for doing their utmost in helping you out.

And you are right: it is ridiculously dry at the moment. I was up in Rockhampton last week and saw what was happening with those poor buggers. And at that stage the fires were still burning on the opposite side of Mount Archer to the city - it's been threatening houses this week. Also, I have never ever seen Mackay so brown either; it's usually green for a vast majority of the year.

Doesn't it make you boil that there are people out there that would even consider deliberately lighting a fire under these conditions?

8. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

thank god ur ok....we had the same here in Arundel...Smith st and my road completley blocked..some of the back fences got completley burnt....our problem was that we couldnt get back....took me 1 1/2 hrs to make what is usually a 25min drive:eek:

9. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

:eek: ....oh nooo luckily you are all ok over there....
    it has been some very hot days in our neck of the woods... take care over there
    Jx :)

10. SolarSteve

SolarSteve New Member

I feel for you Lorraine.

Yep. The whole mountain range went up. Only one house was lost. Got to within 20m of the house we are in and burnt out half of our adjoining block.
    I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the Rural Fire Brigade and the Qld Fire Service.

A slightly burnt out Solar Steve

11. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

Considering how dry everything is at the moment the people who deliberately set fires should be punished as harshly as possible. :mad:
    Glad you're both OK & that the animals at Camp Keen are safe as well.
    Did the gate flags survive?:umm:

12. Kermit

Kermit Member

Wow

Lorraine and Andy, that's just awful. Thank goodness it was not worse. Fires are VERY scary.
    I am remembering driving up that drive last autumn at Mardi grass, and the great time we had there. Now I expect the whole place smells of burnt!

13. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

I know the general consensus in the local RFS here, is that it would be nice to catch these imbeciles first, for a little "questioning", before handing them over to the police....;)

14. 3Amigos

3Amigos Active Member

as my old dad would say ..."DRY AS A WITCHES TIT"

15. ruby6689

ruby6689 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone :heart:

We were so lucky. One of the volunteers sighted the smoke from her home and rang the fire captain. An immediate decision was made to respond before the official call out as they knew what could develop if they waited. I dread to think what could have happened if it wasn't for their quick thinking.

The remains of the 'suspect' dwelling is surrounded by Police tape and further investigations will be carried out today. We are told that the occupants were given an eviction notice to vacate yesterday :umm:

Steve - I feel for you with the fire being that close to your home, how horrible. Glad you and your family are safe. We have been listening to the reports of the fires up at Rockhampton :(

John - Was it your fence that went up? Hope all is Ok there. It must have been awful not being able to get back home :(

16. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

My god that was to close for comfort thank god for your quick thinking neighbor that saw the smoke, we are glad you are all OK.
    The fire John was talking about was down the bottom of Napper road and Smith street and the M1. It came up to the back fences in Green acre drive where John lives but more down the other end. My daughter in law lives in the same street and didn't know anything about it until i rang her up.
    Apparently it was lit by two 13 year old girls, no houses were lost but lots of animals died in the fire.

17. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

hey lorraine main thing is you are safe. one of my pet hates are deliberately lit fires. that is definatly too close for comfort

18. Mama Nalin

Mama Nalin New Member

Oh wow, to all that were affected by the fires - so glad nobody was hurt and sorry that dues to some idiots playing with peoples lives that you had to go through this. I really do think that a ridiculously large penalty needs to be put in place for deliberately lit fires. There aren't many other acts that a person can do so easily and simultaneously endanger countless lives, houses, livestock and wildlife, not to mention infrastructure, etc. It is an act of wrongdoing of huge proportions and the punishment should fit the crime.

Stay safe everyone out there in the bush. Scary times.

19. Lewiebus70

Lewiebus70 New Member

too close mate good to hear you are safe, and good to see andy in the Surtron pants again lol you can take surtron out of the man but not the man out of Surtron lol

20. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

That's a bit close for comfort and thankfully that lady was about and could act so quickly - they spread faster than anyone thinks.

Glad to hear you and Andy are fine - shaken not stirred :)