Totally OT. Toyota Hiace oil filter - where?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by GoblinSA, Feb 19, 2008.

1. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

Just trying to do an oil change on my 96 toyota commuter (like a bigger hiace) but have no idea where the oil filter is?

Anyone know? I've been googling with no luck.

2. Konrad

Konrad New Member

oil filter

They have the engine in the front don't they? Hmmmm, trying to confuse KC members? many japanese engines have the filter hidden in nasty places such as screwed to the side of the engine block, beneath the intake/exhaust manifolds, so you may need to get right under the car with a pair of goggles/protective glasses (for the road grit) and a torch to actually find the filter. Getting it off when you're in this position may be no easy task. My current experience with small japanese cars suggests that they are designed to be serviced by mechanics, standing beneath them with the car on a hoist, so things like the filter and even sump plugs are hard to remove/replace when you're the average backyard mechanic without a hoist/pit/ramp.

3. Tassiedave

Tassiedave New Member

This is a 2.4 petrol motor, I use to do mine, I think it was on drivers side accessed from under the car. If you have big arms, you first need to break your forearm so can bend it in an "s" shape, then get fully under the car. Kombi's are much better to work on.
    Dave

4. GoblinSA

GoblinSA New Member

Thanks guys!

Yeah, its a 2.4l motor. We got all the coolant changed no problems, but oh man, is the oil BLACK!

Sounds like its going to be a bit fiddly to find and pull it off - might leave it for Rick to do tomorrow!!!

Cheers for the info you two!

5. Schmoburger

Schmoburger New Member

Gah damn japanese engines! :eek: V6 petrol Pajero's are an absolute c**k to replace an oil filter on too... have to remove 500 bash plates and then break your arm in 10 places and get a special proprietry zigzagged reverse-rotation filter-spanner to get it off!...ok I may have exagerated the details slightly but ya get the idea... :D

Kombi tho... easy.... they even give you a little raised hex to tighten and undo with a normal (albeit huge) spanner! :D :cool: