1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Towbar for ‘72 cross over lowlight?

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by Nunta, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Nunta

Nunta New Member

I’m looking at putting a towbar on my lowlight with large taillights and a type 4 engine in it.

Not sure what will and won’t fit

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Chris

2. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

I know the early low-light tow bars are too narrow for a 72 as the chassis rails were widened a fair bit for the 72.

So I assume its a 72 and later tow bar.

3. andrewjdriscoll

andrewjdriscoll Active Member

Hi Chris,

I have a ‘72 Microbus with tow bar fitted. I could take some measurements and photos if that would help. I’m happy to text them to you.
    regards,

AJD

David H likes this.
  4. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

As mentioned tow bars from 72. onwards the body is the same, but the bumper bars and brackets are different from 72 to 73. Therefore the holes that mount the brackets for the bumper bar may be in different locations slightly. Most tow bars will of been custom made and buying one may also need some modifications to fit your car. Some photos of my fathers tow bar on his 72 kombi, on how he mounted the tow bar.
    IMG_0025.JPG
    Inside of the passenger side
    IMG_0026.JPG
    outside of passenger side, mounted to the side of the chassis rail and goes underneath the bumper bar bracket, where it is also mounted, with longer bolts going through the bumper bar bracket and also the tow bar bracket.
    IMG_0027.JPG
    Outside drivers side
    IMG_0028.JPG
    inside drivers side
    IMG_0031.JPG

5. Nunta

Nunta New Member

Thanks heaps guys! I’m getting one off a 76 kombi shortly for $100 so hoping will fit no issues. If it’s too hard I will just sell off anyway. Has the rear light protector arches that I don’t mind the look of too.

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Mounting issues may also occur depending on the type of exhaust & muffler installed :rolleyes:;)

7. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Take the old nut & bolts off to a decent supplier, and buy new high tensile ones, the same size.......... just for peace of mind. ;)

KahunaKombi likes this.
  8. Nunta

Nunta New Member

So a 76 didnt fit, the brackets that come off are too wide. Pretty hard trying to look at it by myself. I think I will need to put my bumper back on and take muffler off. It looks like its 50mm too wide to bolt onto the outsides of the chassis rail. The holes on the bars brackets are 130mm width from one another also.

9. Nunta

Nunta New Member

So does your attach horizontally like the bumper or vertically against the chassis rails?

10. Wayne murray

@Nunta
    It is attached both Horizontal and vertically. Like you mentioned in your above post.
    The vertical is mounted using the bumper bar bracket holes and horizontal in to the chassis rail. Much like the vertical holes to fit your bumper bar brackets already have a thread inside. The horizonal chassis rail also has two or three horizonal fixing points with a thread in them. Threaded holes are on the outside of both chassis rails. All three 72's I have are like that.

11. Nunta

Nunta New Member

Oh wow, where did u get them from? I’d really like to set up a push bike carrier and maybe go one further in future with a trailer

12. Wayne murray

Get what from?
    The brackets that are holding the towbar on are custom made to suit both the horizontal and vertical holes that are already built into the 72 kombi chassis rails. Unless your 72 is different or been molested by previous owner. All three 72 I have are different as they are built during different times throughout that year, early, mid and late 72 but they all have the horizonal fixing points in the chassis. The bracket that is mounted to the chassis is Z shape turned 90 degrees.
    Is this what you mean? or you talking about vehicles?

13. Nunta

Nunta New Member

No, I meant where u got towbars. Mine actually says it’s a 71 transporter on the compliance plate but is has larger tail lights Which I’ve been told is a 72 crossover

14. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

the tail lights might have been cut in over it’s 50 year life

might need to sleuthing and see what are other difference between a 71 and 72

15. Nunta

Nunta New Member

I highly doubt they were cut in as the rear vents aren’t crescent shaped like other early bays

16. Wayne murray

The tow bar on the car in the photos to show you in post #4 has been custom made 30 years ago. Only the tow ball and bolts have been brought. You may have to by the steel pipe and other steel to make one or get some one to do so. As mentioned in other posts, buying one already made still may have to be modified to suit your car, it all depends on how they are made to fit the car and year of car.

Barry likes this.