Trailing Arms onto Front beam.

Discussion in 'Steering, brakes & Suspension' started by perkypeterson, Jan 7, 2017.

1. perkypeterson

perkypeterson New Member

Are there any secrets to putting the trailing arms onto the torsion leaves/beam, whatever i try i just cant line them up and this is as far as they will go in.

Ive got new bearings inside the beam, and its a 67 split.

The torsion leaves have a small weld on them to keep them together, one weld i done myself but i alligned them up the best i could.

Ive tryed hitting them with a mallett but still no good, do they need to be pressed in there or any other ideas? Thanks!

https://postimg.org/image/nr1yb001j/[​IMG]

2. Old Dubber

Old Dubber Active Member

If you can only insert them as far as your photo. Then you are not getting past the inner bearing.
    I find, if I wire them up first with light tie wire to get the alignment right, then they will go on ok.
    Have you checked that the arm will go on after your welding, before they go into the beam?

3. rstucke

rstucke Active Member

1500king likes this.
  4. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Take the spindle off at the link pins, will make things MUCH easier when you only have arms to deal with one by one.

5. splitbus

splitbus Well-Known Member

Also try to see if the arms go in without springs, just in case wrong inner bearing size

6. tillis

tillis Active Member

how did you go? i ground a nice bevel on the ends of mine to help them in