1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trakka poptup control arm replacement

Discussion in 'T3 & T4 Tech Help Clinic' started by CamMoore, Aug 16, 2017.

1. CamMoore

CamMoore New Member

Has anyone replaced the front control arm that supports the poptop on a trakka conversion?

My cross bar has rusted out completely and my roof collapses if there is any wind or disturbance.

Attached Files:

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

3. Steve Treloar

Steve Treloar Member

Hi Cam Moore, had did you go with the front control arm for your pop top. Mine is rusted as well.

4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

5. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

6. Steve Treloar

Steve Treloar Member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  7. CamMoore

CamMoore New Member

What is his number?

8. CamMoore

CamMoore New Member

I did contact Trakka and got a quote of $500+ to make a new one because they haven't got the original drawings

9. Steve Treloar

Steve Treloar Member

Hi Cam, the numbers i got for Andy Ho keeps ringing out with no message option, frustrating
    0488377580 .Will try a text message see if that works.

10. Steve Treloar

Steve Treloar Member

Cam Looking at mine it looks like a length of steel rod bent twice with a bracket welded on the ends.
    Looks like it couldn't be to hard to sort . Going to have a closer look this weekend.The only concerning bit is the pivot points either side at the front.It looks like they are bolted from the underside of the fibre glass. Also spoke with Trakka the guy who has been there for years is away ATM and is probably the only guy there who would know.

PS the seal that goes around the pop top it that a Clark rubber available line..?

11. Steve Treloar

Steve Treloar Member

Got on to Trakka, they have no drawings or measurements for T3s ,we spoke about the support bar and it was suggested get it made up. I've had a closer took and my support bar it is in 2 pieces held in place with lugs welded on the bar at the pivot point. The 2 halves are joined with some pvc pipe. So should be able to sort it out

12. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Steve,
    How to be a Kombi owner;). There's always a 'work around'
    Cheers

13. Steve Treloar

Steve Treloar Member

Yes Dave ,always got something to do, ,new rad on the way as well as another pipe. Use to airheads cars and bikes.good for the challenge.

David H likes this.
  14. nils

nils Well-Known Member

Maybe do the drawings while you are at and sell them back to Trakka ;)

15. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

I'm replacing mine soon.. and going a different direction. I'm going to make up two 12mm "L" pieces.. thread both ends to suit 12mm joiner nuts ( cheap as - these nuts are used for tie down in the housing industry) .
    After cutting out the old rusted bar I'm going to re-bush the pivot point.. feed in the "L" piece from each end.. connect and adjust with joiner and locking nut to exact length. The loose ends also have been threaded.. this will allow me to adjust the strut length - critical.. My Trakka roof never sat right in the rubbers.. by having the adjustable strut length I can then "tune" the way the roof should sit.

By the way.. I replaced the Top Bulb Rubber.. Clark (ripoff) Rubber wanted $17.80 per lm... I got exactly the same stuff from Century Foam and Rubber for $10.95 lm... Happy Days

16. AC-T3

AC-T3 Well-Known Member

I'm watching with interest. Please let us know how it goes.

17. MrBee1300

MrBee1300 New Member

Hi, new member here. My partner's father has a very tidy '85 T3 Trakka camper that he's preparing to sell.The only obvious flaw in the top is the rust erosion on one side of the torsion support bar; it's perilously thin. This conversation is a few months old but I wonder of anyone has a photo or two of how they grafted in a new section or made a repair? And is the whole assembly easy enough to remove? There was a suggestion above that the rubber torsion blocks are secured somewhere awkward and underneath the roof. Thanks in advance, Peter in Brisbane

18. kimosabi

kimosabi Active Member

Sorry Mr Bee... hav'nt progressed with my Trakka "fix" yet so cant help at this stage. I got distracted with another project.

19. MrBee1300

MrBee1300 New Member

Thanks Kimosabi. I see what you were thinking and we'll have a look to see if we have enough good metal in the arm to patch in a new section, connected using two joiner nuts.