1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transmission Fluid Levels

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by phantom, Nov 10, 2014.

1. phantom

phantom Member

Hi all, I have a '75 with an automatic transmission, and have had conflicting reports about how to check the fluid levels in the transmission. I know I am supposed to check the levels when warm but am not sure exactly how it is done, and more importantly where the levels should be on the dipstick.
    I've looked to try to locate info in print but have had no luck.
    Does anyone have a proper reference to show me how to check the levels, and what they sound be? I've shown a picture of the end of the dipstick if that helps. I know I have a leak in my transmission so I need to check this regularly to make sure it stays OK.
    Thanks
    dipstick.jpg

2. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

Go for a drive for ten minutes, park on a level surface with handbrake on and transmission in neutral and leave the engine running. The level should be between the two round marks on the dipstick - I keep mine at the upper mark.

Why they didn't do the dipstick marks at the cold engine off position is beyond me but the above is the correct method as per the Bentley manual.

If you are refilling rather than checking, fill the fluid tao you can see fluid on the bottom of the dipstick with the engine off before starting.

3. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

After topping up cycle through the gears before re checking level

4. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Because the longer the vehicle sits the more the fluid drains back from the torque converter, making it to difficult to show an accurate dipstick reading.

5. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

Thanks gazman, makes sense

6. phantom

phantom Member

Thanks all, I'm now more confident of actually having fluid in my transmission. Appreciate the info.