1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treasure chest door no treasure

Discussion in 'Resto Corner' started by BrissyGeorge, Aug 20, 2020.

1. BrissyGeorge

BrissyGeorge Active Member

Hi,

The rust that I had repaired in the bottom of the Treasure Chest door has returned after a couple of years. My first thought was to round up another door BUT they are mad of unobtanium, so it seems repair is my only option.

I think the skin will have to come off and be replaced - the frame checked and a new skin made from scratch with vents.

Any suggestions for who could do this in the Bris area OR if someone has a good door lying about.........

Thanks

2. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

KahunaKombi likes this.
  3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

While it's a PITA if you can find the part number then the search can we widened ;)

4. Old Dubber

Old Dubber Active Member

5. KahunaKombi

Did some searching for part number :rolleyes: ..... found one and description with years quoted seemed to fit :D ..... but on search using that part number it came up as Split Treasure Chest Door :( .... bugger :oops:

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

7. BrissyGeorge

Thanks guys for taking the time - as I said, rare as rocking horse poo. Barry the one in France is the only one I have seen for sale (thanks for pointing it out) - at 850euros plus post its a bit scary. I will give Barry at the Goldy (thanks Old Dubber) a try to get a cost comparison. Kahuna, wonder if a split and a bay doors are different?

George

8. BrissyGeorge

Well just to add a bit to this thread - I have found a car resto place in Capalaba (near home) that will re skin the door - all good so far.

Obviously the door has to come off - so I figured I would replace the hinges which are pretty worn.

The hinges on the treasure chest door look identical to those on the engine door - anyone know if this is correct?

Thanks

9. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Correct! Hinges are the same. Had the rust cut out of mine recently. near the lock.

10. BrissyGeorge

Thanks Wayne,

Mine is along the bottom - I`ve had it done once a couple of years ago but it has returned with a vengeance - new skin which will give the opportunity to get to any rust in the frame hopefully will do the trick.

11. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

T3 ones are also the same. Obviously a design decision VW carried forward to the next generation.

12. Zorm

Zorm New Member

These guys have two kinds of treasure chest doors

https://www.klassicfab.com/product/kf443-single-cab-treasure-chest-door-6567/

13. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Face profile correct , internal shape different with different 4 bolt lock instead of three bolt lock. Be good for skin only to replace your rusty outside skin.

David H likes this.
  14. KahunaKombi

KlassicFab have different skins - kf442, kf443, kf445, kf446 & kf447 and by the looks of it frames also :rolleyes: ..... good way to get confused as the years quoted don't seem to align either :confused:

David H likes this.
  15. BrissyGeorge

Thanks Kahuna

I emailed Klassic and sadly they only make doors for splittys up to 67 - bugga.

I appreciate the suggestion though.

The shop I have given my rusted one to are really dragging the chain - nearly at the point of getting it back and finding someone else - they have had it for over a month. - currently driving the SC but he looks like he has a tooth missing without the door.:mad:

16. BrissyGeorge

Well, just to finish this thread off - Treasure Chest door is now refitted and all is good - I was getting frustrated with the time they were taking but the job they did was top shelf.. They took the old skin off - repaired the frame and made a new skin - its not flat so it had to be shaped. They used my old air vents because behind the vents is a box so it was easier to reuse them.

The shop that did it is called Firepower Pty Ltd in Capalaba https://www.firepowerclassics.com.au/- they don`t do Insurance work and their shop and what they do is a bit like one of those US custom car shows- muscle cars and even a split.

I spoke to them about cutting some rust out and insisted - NO BOG - they looked at me as if I had just accused the Pope of not being a Catholic for even using the "bog" word in their presence:D. So I shall let the resto budget replenish a bit and take it back

17. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member