1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuning H32/34 PDSI Carbs

Discussion in 'Fuel System & Electrics' started by Ignats, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Ignats

Ignats Active Member

Ah no cut off solenoids on these carbs only the automatic choke wires nothing else,
    And auto chokes are fine,

2. Ignats

Ignats Active Member

Pic of carbs for your reference

Attached Files:

3. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

from what you've said you have spark (and at the right time)

hard to see if there are screw in idle jets there or if it has been permanently jetted...if you can screw them out I'd be blowing through the idling circuit (including the mixture screws) just in case you've got a blockage....and double check the mixture screw positions (and rubber seals)

does it try to kick over when you pump the accelerator once or twice?

David H likes this.
  4. Ignats

Ignats Active Member

It gives random 3/4 kicks or start attempts but can happen anytime after pumping or held wide open or even no throttle it is not often though
    Spoke to my old VW man today he has had some funny goings on a couple of times he recalls with the dizzy drive dogs as he calls them not engaging properly he is also intrigued so will probably be coming to see for himself.

5. Ignats

Ignats Active Member

Was sitting at back of Kombi today looking into engine bay and pondering my next move,and pulled dip stick to check oil hmmm me smells fuel yep fuel in oil so drained that out came out like oil when hot so diluted considerably.
    So is this a clue to my starting problem way to much fuel or just a result of to many attempts to start?

6. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Way too much fuel:(. Could be a tank /fuel pump prob. Flooding it:(.
    I'll leave others with more knowledge to comment.
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  7. tintop

tintop Well-Known Member

mmm, the needle and seat in each carby should be stopping fuel from coming through...and I assume they were at some stage because it ran 'okay' for a while...could have picked up some dirt when you had the engine out recently and fuel lines disconnected.

what fuel pump do you have (if it's standard it shouldn't have too much pressure)? some electric ones have too much pressure for the needle and seat...in which case you need a pressure reducer in line (not the cheap ones that leak though)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

If electric to need to add tachometric relay and solenoid operated shutoff valve as well.

9. Ignats

Ignats Active Member

New fuel pump standard from Micks
    Spoke to Andrew again today ruled out ignition switch failure as cause of no start by bypassing.
    Bumped idle mixture screws out a bit on his advice no change,
    Thinking the fuel in oil was possibly from me doing to many attempts to start using every technique I could think of
    Did unbolt fuel pump to check if it was leaking underneath no problem there.
    It must be something simple I’m overlooking

10. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

I have a mechanical pump that flows fuel if outlet disconnected.( Engine not running)
    Supposedly they can also leak directly to sump also.
    So check thoroughly.

I wouldn't expect a large amount of fuel from starting attempts unless you were continually pumping pedal.

Non start certainly could be from flooding.

Be careful not to cook starter.

Flooded engine should clear by itself within half hr usually.

Will it run on aerostart ?

11. Ignats

Ignats Active Member

Negative
    Going to change all plugs next
    Just like KTM 300 I used to own

12. Ignats

Ignats Active Member

Would appear my Kombi is related to that KTM 300 I used to have fitted new plugs this afternoon and fired up on first turn of key
    Now I can find that suspected vacuum leak and finish tuning the carbs
    Spoke to Andrew again in regards to tuning procedure and downloaded a good info sheet of the Samba sight on the carbs so hopefully things might go smoothly from here on in.
    Thanks everyone for your input

Wayne murray likes this.
  13. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Flywheel seal needs to be installed with VW factory tool installer VW204 and 204/4. Using your fingers ore a mallet will not cut it as depth and not being true will be an issue. Flywheel seal surface needs to be in good shape, no rust/pits or deep grooves from old seals. Next, o- ring needs to be fitted to the flywheel. 120psi doesn't help either!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    Mr Beckstar and David H like this.