1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo Kombi ?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by urbexdweller, Mar 25, 2009.

1. dan_b

dan_b Member

im all for the VW Modifications section, im going to really think hard at resto time for a engine swap, im liking the idea of a 1uzfe, i can get 1 cheaper than new heads.
    and alot of these modern engine swaps the parts are cheaper if you no who to talk to or were to buy them.
    but then the air cooled sound is price less.
    iv put many modern day engines in old cars,just for the ease of driving,and mantiance side of the coin

2. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

well then, hows about that chicks and kombi's thread be moved back out of the admins area ;) hahahah

3. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

the 1UZFE is a TIGHT Fit (1cm clearances), and theres a place up in QLD i think it is that does Subie conversions for $9900 or somewhere around there.. drive in drive out, fully complied(or QLD standards anyway)

4. Carter

Carter Member

i think you're talking about volks conversions at stafford mate.

Sorry to Pi** off any of those VW owners who do enjoy the 'stockness' of their dubs, but like many people have said, it's a public forum and everyone is allowed an opinion :)

My thikning was instead of banishing, or telling these people who want to modify their cars a straight up NO! don't do it, why don't we provide advice that will help them on their journey because, i've been told a few times not to do something and being young and stupid i do it anyways, my car is still fine. However, before i did it i sourced lots of information regrettably alot that wasn't from here as there isn't any where to discuss performance / modification etc. Again, this is just my opinion, seems alot of ppl think a forum on mod / perf. is a good idea, maybe have the same sub forums as clicking on bay window kombis, i.e engine, suspension, etc etc?

5. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Dont push your luck.

6. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

haha, i was kidding anyway

7. back street bessie

back street bessie Active Member

I agree with you,that we all have a right to our own opinion.
    But as for opening the door to new stuff? ...nothing new here,its all been said and done before mate.;)

8. dbs

dbs Member

I had a 1300 delux beetle bored out to about 1600. Plain Jane as can be but I loved it. kept cool, no problem on the highways and byways.
    Was completely happy with it. As far as I was concerned .... no further mods were required.

Allthough I'm not keen to move my beetles and kombis far from design, I also love to see some of the convertions and mods that others do. (I'm a closet motor head with not enough money).

So yes thats a tick from me for a mods section.
    ;)

9. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

just a random thought also, ive been wanting an ICE section, that could come into the modifications section too iguess

10. Hally

Hally Member

Do a google for campervan crisis. The pres of the split screen van club in the UK rennoed his Spitty and put a 110BHP aircooled with a turbo.

11. dbs

dbs Member

If you get a camper most of the electrolux fridges have an ice section

:lol: :lol: :D :p

12. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Okay another +1 for a mods section (since I've got a v6 lowlight ;) )
    I know there are other more performance orientated forums (I'm a member on a few) but the people and atmosphere here are great and I'd enjoy having a specific section here to share my knowledge & experiences with vehicle mods etc.

13. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

I have a copy of it here ..................... somewhere! :umm:

Ray & da Boyz

14. urbexdweller

urbexdweller Member

i too also have it.. hence what gave me the idea, since i know it can be done, yet everyone i saying its not a good idea..

15. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

HA! Tautology!!
    .................................... sorry, wrong thread!:eek:

Ray & da Boyz

16. Joel

Joel New Member

reading thro this has given me a good chuckle

everyones a turbo expert :rolleyes:
    and it always comes down to the subaru vs VW debate

as alot of ppl already know ive been playing with force fed vws engines for years and now tinkering with subaru engines
    theres no reason why a type4 cant be turbod without turning it into a ticking time bomb its been done plenty of times

but a bigger issue is kombis need other mods first before theyre safe to drive with that sort of HP

17. Hally

Hally Member

If you want to go really silly then take a look at this Bay http://www.channel4.com/4car/gl/gallery/gallery/13940/1 Yep that's right GAS TURBINE! A bit thirsty I'll bet. I saw it at the VW museum at Wolfsburg a few years ago. We were also treated to a nice cruise and show in the car park by one of the local clubs. It was a nice treat.

Cheers

18. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

Now THIS is silly:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. OberonViking

OberonViking Active Member

and I've read that that beetle is taxed as a Hybrid.
    I'm not sure about how fuel efficient it is overall though...

20. dbs

dbs Member

wouldn't want to be following that one to closely
    ;)