Type 4 flap and oil cooler questions

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by paul77, Feb 1, 2017.

1. combyuro

combyuro New Member

cbus good idea to use an optical thermometer. Decided the best point to aim was the drain plug. That has been between 95C and 100C while I've been driving errands today. Looks like the meat thermometer wasn't too accurate (explains the burnt chooks!).

1500king thanks for the extra info on the carbies. I thought it wouldn't hurt to make the idle a bit richer - there are so many traffic lights these days, so a lot of time spent idling.

Good news is that my "SaveMyBug" hot oil sensor still hasn't gone off since I blocked off the heater fan holes. And the engine is clearly running cooler.

2. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Good improvement that engine will love.
    Check details around cooling system such as the rubber seals between tinware and the heater box pipes being in place.
    Foam engine seal in good nick and join near the gearbox.
    All small holes in tinware plugged and fresh spart plug and other grommets that fit.
    Heat shield between muffler and engine.
    Grease n oil cleaned of engine and gearbox.
    Plus items already noted by Andrew.

3. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Just an update on this investigation. My 2l engine was running 1800 carburettor jets. Re-bushing then Re-jetting achieved almost 25% power increase and reduced oil temp about 4c. Work performed by Leon's motors in Brisbane with a couple hours in dyno as well.

oldman, Weekender and David H like this.
  4. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

It's funny how such a little part can make such a big difference.

David H likes this.
  5. 1500king

1500king Well-Known Member

Yep! The physical damage it can cause is equally spectacular!! :D

6. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

I suspect my standard oil cooler may not be performing as it should. However, it is a largish task to get at it to replace so went ahead with this $220 kit from China. It has an 80c thermostat in the sandwich adapter and apart from some dodgy o-rings (too loose and thin) it has worked well. I took it for a run this weekend and 2 hours driving at about 95kph saw max oil temp 100C. Before this would have been 120c! Here are some pics of the kit and install.

Kit, 30 row AN10, 1.4m and 1.6m hoses, 80c thermostat
    20170411_175855.jpg

Had to remove the pipe between tinware and heater box to allow hoses to exit. Demisting still works with only RHS connected, just not as fast. 20170415_143542.jpg

Cooler angled slightly to try and get some air through it. It is the same ground clearance as the a/c condensor. 20170415_143553.jpg

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    peter drogi and Weekender like this.
  7. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

That's a tealt neat looking system

8. peter drogi

peter drogi Member

Im going to follow. Going to do the same.

9. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

Looks like it makes tappet adjustment more of a challenge?

10. andrew

andrew Active Member

My rebuilt engine has been running well and temperatures have been fine - I had bought the remote oil cooler and a 7" fan. I added them and a switch for the fan following the 500km oil and filter change.
    Oil temps sitting in the 70-90 range. It was warmer yesterday and the traffic terrible driving down to the mornington peninsula so I tried the fan when sitting still. Worked well. I set it up on top of the oil cooler which is angled under the car to maximize air flow when moving. I set the fan up to suck additional air through when turned on.
    The system is very easy to install and gives excellent control of temperature - maybe a bit over cautious but I'm happy with it.

Tash, paul77 and cbus like this.
  11. Tash

Tash Member

Paul - is this system still working well for you? I'm still new to my van - and living in Kalgoorlie, haven't found anyone Kombi knowledgeable who can help. This looks like a good (and fairly easy) option, as you wrote, instead of trying to access the original oil cooler to check it.
    I've still got a long way to go before I blame the oil cooler, but it's nice to know ahead of time what my options are.

12. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Yes, still good. Has been almost a year since I installed and this small cooler managed to keep temps below 115c when towing in qld summer with A/C running.

13. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

If you have a 2l with a heavy load and think you are running a bit lean on the highway, the main jet size of X132.5 may be a little small. You can get X135 jets out of Italy relatively cheaply, ($20-30 with postage)) but make sure you ask for the X-series jets. I made the mistake of getting the 135 and they are drilled differently and make the issues worse. They look the same and fit the same but will actually run slightly leaner than the 132.5 you should have making the problem worse.

Adrian

cbus likes this.
  14. Tash

Tash Member

Thanks Paul, your van must be grateful!
    Do you perchance know the brand/whom you ordered it from? Or, would you mind having a look at this one on ebay and letting me know if it seems about right?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OIL-COO...745421?hash=item1a3421458d:g:CWUAAOSwbqpTv2PU

15. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Here is item I installed. I went for thermostat so the oil heats up quickly to 80c as sometimes making early winter starts. Would go for 30 or more rows too.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Univers...-30-Rows-BK-/331654755641?hash=item4d3829f539

16. Tash

Tash Member

Thanks so much - I'm going for it. $20 off if it buy it today - might be an advertising gimmick, but anything that keeps my old girl happier and running cool :)
    Really appreciate your info - thank you.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  17. Ian61

Ian61 New Member

Paul77 how long did it take to install the oil cooler (or more to the point, how long should a qualified mechanic with all the kit take to install?)

18. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

The heater pipe on lhs needs to be removed to clear hoses to sandwich plate. I did this by removing heater box/manifold to remove heater pipe. Exhaust stud stripped which slowed progress. If u don’t have intact heating system, could be done in an hour. If mechanic had to do what I had to do, nothing less than half a day I would think?

19. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

I notice you have the deep sump fitted too. Does it make any difference? Looking at the fact you have fitted the extra cooler I reckon not enough. I suspect you are treating the symptoms, not the cause. Took me a long while to grasp the problem myself, but think about it. Most of the heat going in to the oil has to be coming from the head and the relatively small amount of oil travelling through the rocker gear and back to the sump. That, and the oil splashing on the bottom of the pistons. The bottom end isn't going to produce much heat at all.

Based on that, why is the oil is getting that hot with most of the air cooling centred around the head and the cylinder barrels? Conversely, cooling that oil is not removing much heat from the head, the air is. So, the extra heat shown in the oil must be from abnormal combustion or lack of air cooling, not a lack of oil cooling (if the oil cooler is not blocked internally from an oil point of view or the fins from an air point of view and has the flaps in the proper position)

Not saying there isn't other factors in play but I think you have to look at the whole picture to fix it properly. In standard form these engines were designed to work in the hot and cold with out modification to the cooling system. If you are having over heating issues there must be something that has changed.

Cheers

Adrian

Wayne murray likes this.
  20. Ian61

Ian61 New Member

Thank Paul. Will put it on the second list (long list!!!) of things to do. Game plan must be to get the bus registered and that list is brimming with must do's!