Type 4 flap and oil cooler questions

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by paul77, Feb 1, 2017.

1. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

All the info is in this thread but to summarise. I fitted an A/C system 2 years ago. Have had the bus on dyno at Leons after carb rebuild, the A/C compressor takes 5hp rwhp. At Christmas I tow a 400kg trailer and 14 foot SUP board on roof to so expect a lot from the old girl. This thread was about the missing flap and how re-instating it made no difference so I do suspect the internal oil cooler.

2. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

My notes were more a catch all for someone chasing a heating problem. I had forgotten I had commented before on the same thread previously. In your case the extra oil cooling is warranted as you are loading it up considerably from standard, especially if running long trips at high speed on the highway in summer temps. I went back and 1500King and I have both given advice regarding ways to help. Not sure what jets you have now but it obviously helped.

The oil cooler is important, I was just saying don't fixate on that being the problem. Next time the engine is out, swap it out, but it may not make a huge amount of difference. The additional one will work well.

For a more accurate diagnosis re running hot you can get thermocouple type temp senders that screw under the spark plugs that will tell you the head temps, and if you look up the specs you can see they should be running at their designed temp range.

Good luck with it.

Adrian

3. paul77

paul77 Well-Known Member

Thanks Adrian. I tried to avoid the cooler route as worried about the extra failure points, hence the misadventure/experiment with deep sump. I do like the 80c thermostat in my current setup as all parts of the original thermostat was removed sometime in the distant past it seems. My engine is tired (140oookm after rebuild in 1992) so will definitely attend to cooler when next rebuild comes around. Cheers, Paul