Type IV fuel line and filter replacement.

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by kommodius, Feb 18, 2007.

1. kommodius

kommodius New Member

Hi folks.
    here's a wee tip when changing the fuel filter and/or the fuel lines on a type IV kombi engine.
    Frank and I changed the fuel line (tank to fuel pump) and fuel filter on my bus today.
    If you look at the pic you can see the fuel line from the tank going to the filter and beyond to the fuel pump.
    You can see how close the starter and solenoid are to the fuel outlet from the tank.
    When you remove the fuel line from the tank, fuel will flow directly toward the solenoid until you can push the new line on.

Guess what can happen if your battery is still connected!!!:eek:
    Yep, very bad burny things.

Order of business:

1) disconnect earth wire from battery
    2) remove fuel line from fuel filter on the tank side and plug the line with a pencil or similar object
    3) if you're only replacing the filter, put the "out" end of the new filter onto the line to the pump (check arrow on filter for fuel flow direction) and quickly pull the pencil out of the tank line and push the line onto the new filter "in" side
    4) if you're replacing the complete line, disconnect fuel line from fuel pump
    5) crawl out from under the bus and assemble new lines and filter using the old line as a template
    6) back under the bus attach the fuel pump end of the line to the fuel pump
    7) with a clamp ready but loose on the new line to go to the tank, ease the old line off the tank outlet tube and block it with your finger (left hand). With your right hand use the new tube to push the finger on the outlet pipe out of the way and onto the pipe.

You should have minimal fuel spillage but make sure that the new pieces of line that have to slide over fuel pump and tank pipes are well lubricated and "pre-stretched". I used a Philips head screwdriver to stretch the line to make it easier to fit.
    A bit of spilt petrol on the skin can be unpleasant, a bit of burning spilt petrol on the skin, and in the fuel tank, can be very unpleasant!
    PLEASE disconnect your battery first.

Ray & da Boyz

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2007
  2. ahoogah

ahoogah New Member

Last time I replaced fuel lines, I cyphoned the tank of fuel first,then proceeded,and though I was super carefull shutting off the primary tank pipes
    (EFI have 2,1 for return fuel),still had enough "LIVE" fuel spillage on ground,rags and self, to turn into a dog (WWWOOOOFF)!
    I won't be doing that again, mechanics have hoists,fire extinguishes,equipment,due dilligence and insurance!
    Dave.

3. kommodius

kommodius New Member

I reckon I'm gonna fit a fuel tap at the tank when I get a minute Dave.
    How handy would it be to turn the fuel off when we're doing some jobs?

Ray

4. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Good post Ray... should be stickied with the rest methinks, as disconnecting the battery is something that is easily overlooked! :eek:

Kieran

5. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Only thing is that the picture shows an incorrect filter. That is a Golf/beetle filter. Kombi ones are the square type.

6. Westylad

Westylad New Member

Just did this on the weekend...

....I know a bloke who ended up badly burned because he forgot to remove the negative terminal. Computers and such on modern vehicles deter you from doing this, but I isolate the battery before doing anything in the way of maintenance or repairs - eliminate, isolate or minimize.

I made up the new line and connected it to the pump first. I clamped the live line from the tank first with long-nose locking pliers (mental blank) and did the shangeover with one hand,

You forgot to say that a friend with a fire extinguisher should be handy too. Immediately after you've done the transfer, clear off for 10 mins to let the spilt fuel evaporate.

It does seem to be a bit inelegant, splashing flammable fuel about when the whole aim of the exercise is to avoid a fire! - could you create a slight vacuum in the tank first I wonder? I feel better with new lines allover anyway.

Why should the shape of the filter matter?

7. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Not the shape, but the type is different. Volkswagen must do it for a reason.

Stronger plastic for under the car?
    Not as fine so that it can be used pre-pump (EFI)?

8. chewtah

chewtah Guest

Taking the fuel cap off can release pressure in the tank too, so fuel doesn't keep spurting out. I knew of a guy who changed his fuel lines which spilt fuel over the engine then he checked the points, and the spark ignited the fuel! So maybe hose the engine bay down with water, or do the fuel line one day, the points the next.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014
  9. fancy-bug

fancy-bug Member

last time i did my hoses i bought a brake line clamp

once for have syphoned as much as possible out, get the van up on ramps/ 4 axle stands, clamp the flexi hose close to the tank, run the bus to use the rest of the fuel in the lines, then undo the hose AFTER the brake clamp, connect a length of hose/ copper tube that can be fed out form under the bus, and into a jerry can, this then lets you drain the rest of the fuel with minimal mess/loss.

10. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Not sure if this is right place, but i was under the engine today refitting my tinware, and was having a nosey as you do while on your back with 1.5t of German steel above you..

Anyways, i was looking at the fuel lines, and most appear new and clamped well. :) I did notice one line that looked old and had a worn section where it must have been rubbing the heater flab riser elbow. I assume its a return line maybe, as it doesnt go to the pump (the black line does)

Thoughts? Its a 2L EFI.

PS: That wet look isn't a leak, i was spraying some Inox on the flapper and cable for the heater..

image_7.jpg

image_9.jpg

11. DanSA

DanSA Active Member

Think I will replace it JIC