1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

umm... I'm new here? Hello peoples...

Discussion in 'New Members' started by MistressBecky, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Mafti

Mafti New Member

When I started driving my Kombi I was the only dope smoking non surfing kombifreak I knew. 20 years later I found this place, full of like minded freaks. Still cant surf and living a clean life. TRUE.
    Welcome you freak you Beck

2. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

Hi Bek, have you considered getting your engine rebuilt using new pots, pistons and rings?
    Its not a hard job on a 1600! Roy from the bus stop should be able to either supply the bits or point you in the right direction. And WELCOME!

3. MistressBecky

MistressBecky New Member

Thank you for the welcome Mafti, freak I am and very proud of it!! :)

Blu bay jay, Thanks, I have been checking out the bus stop for bits and pieces to get my girl back through another roadworthy, it is a great site! I cant find an indicator switch for a 71 there though, mines all loose, as is the surround, I have just learnt to drive her like that. As for fixing her myself? that would be the equivalent of a burger flipper performing heart surgery... I won't do that to my Annie girl. ;) Besides, she hasn't quite got a straight 1600, she has had a bit of work done and extractors put on for a little more HP... and so that friends would stop asking me to mow their lawns. ;) She has a beautiful sound... well except for that now incessant knocking. :(

A friends dad has just bought a garage, he has a mechanic there who is apparently itching to give her a look and... as I am a bit of a pauper, they might be willing to do a bit of a love job for me!!! So for the next few days I am going to make my girl look pretty and then it's on the back of a tow truck to visit the docs... My fingers, toes, and anything else that can be, are all crossed and double crossed... I miss my girl.

I love that Kombis can bring such great Karma!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome Becky to the party that never ends.

KC has only be going for just over 3 years so no need to feel bad about not finding us.

If you got a 1600 then a new set of rings or barrels and pistons may be all you need adn these are easy to get - Heads may need a little work also but it could be a cheaper option to buying a new engine or a 2nd hand one. A good mechanic should be able to point you in the right direction :)

If you get an opinion from a mechanic do not commit before asking some questions on here as we won't try to pull the wool over your eyes.

I just went through a similar exercise and parts (rings, valves, valve seats, gaskets were $450.00 and labour for the head work was $$330.00 this gives you an idea anyway - labour for engine removal and disassembly and then reassembly and install I expect would equate to about 3 days work say @ Approx $80.00 ph - mmmm good engine based on that maybe cheaper but the you got to change all your rego, insurance etc to show a new engine number. Something to work on and all the best

Cheers, Bert

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  5. MistressBecky

MistressBecky New Member

Thanks Bert... I feel a little better knowing that KC hasn't been going that long :) I have been reading through the threads... and though still a bit shy about posting on them, I am loving the sense of community the KC has.

The last quote I got for Annie's motor was around three thousand. Far too steep for me...Ouch. I know this guy pretty well, he is a sweety and will treat my girl good, if his mechanic has the ability. If they can't do anything then I will look at other options...

Right now I am just happy there is a chance I can get my girl back on the road!! The Towie is taking my girl there for me cheaply too... I love Kombi Karma!!!

6. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

TheBusStop does not bring any mechanical parts in as I tried Roy 1st up.

There are a few places down in Vic that should be able to find and source the parts for you or your mechanic should.

My 73 has oversize barrels and thus pistons and rings and the rings cost $132.00 inc gst for good quality ones. A Type 1 engine which it seems you have are cheaper for parts than my Type 2 2000 litre (that has had work done it) but rings may not be one of those things.

Hope all gets sorted and you get looked after :)

7. jackandted

jackandted Member

welcome

hey Mistressbetty, welcome from one 'newbie' to another:) !..aren't they all such a great bunch of people:) Steph & Steve ,( new owners of Jack , 1970 lowlight)

8. jackandted

jackandted Member

oops ..I mean mistress Becky, sorry 'bout that!

9. blu bay jay

blu bay jay New Member

in that case try mick motors for your bits, three grand is expensive big time. the labour for the engine and parts should not be more than $1700, its apiece of the preverbial

10. ModelJets

ModelJets Active Member

We only allow people who love their kombis' on this forum.

Dean

11. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

Welcome to the Secret Society Beck.

There are some very able folks around your part of the world who could help you get your bus back on the tarmac.

Ask questions, get answers. Ask for help, get some help. That's how it works around here!

Good luck with it.

Ray & da Boyz

12. MistressBecky

MistressBecky New Member

Oh gosh, Look at all the postings that happened while I was away. Thank you guys!!!

I thought I would give an Update... Annie is currently at the mechanics, alas not only were her rings blown but she also did at least one big end bearing... so the wonderful and worship-worthy mechanic has chased down a second hand 1600 motor, and will install it for $1600... I am feeling so happy right now! then hopefully, just a few small things for a roadworthy and my girl will be back on Melbourne's Roads!! YAY! I can't wait. And thank you all for making me feel so welcome!!! I am definitely no longer in Kombi Isolation!

13. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Make sure he swaps all the not broken goodies from your old motor to your new motor!
    Welcome to the KC too!

14. MistressBecky

MistressBecky New Member

Thanks jon, for the welcome and the advice, I don't think there's much to save though... Apparently the carbi has had it too... but I am going to ask for the old motor and salvage parts for spares... Actually I think I am going to start buying bits and pieces when I can for emergencies.

15. MistressBecky

MistressBecky New Member

My Baby Girl Annie is Back!!! All roadworthy, registered, and running like a dream. YAY! I have been shouting this with abundant amounts of enthusiasm at anyone who will listen... I've been grinning like an idiot since last Friday, when I picked her up from the mechanics and drove her to hoppers crossing VicRoads!!! The wonderful lady who processed us was talking to me about a relative of hers who is currently traveling around our great country in a Kombi with his wife. It appears we are everywhere...:)

Here is a pic my daughter Kiana-Rose took with my phone as soon as I stuck the purple (my favourite colour.) rego sticker on!

Bek. :D

Attached Files:

16. Joels73 Panel

Joels73 Panel Active Member

Hey beck :)
    I love your kombi, looks just like my old one :D
    Welcome to the kc, Im sure you will love it :)

17. qwoffmeister

qwoffmeister New Member

Well, well, congratulations, Mistress. And to you, Annie, well done - drive her safely, drive her well. And to you, Kiana-Rose, that's wonderful composition, the whole kombi is in the picture.

What a clever bunch you are!! ;)

18. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Annie looks great! :) Well done Bek - Woger is looking forward to finally meeting Annie! :)

I remember getting smiles at Vicroads when I took Woger in for rego - I was stressed but I needn't have worried. Now that the hard bit is over, enjoy the kombi waves and smiles. :)

19. leightk

leightk New Member

ohh a lowlight camper... I think I'm in love :)

20. MistressBecky

MistressBecky New Member

Thanks Joels72lowlight, she is a beautiful girl!!

And I am sure Kiana will beam as bright as can be when I show her quoffmeister's post. Thank you.

Woz... I have really missed getting those waves, and giving them back!! all weekend I drove and had beautiful smiles from the people I passed. I haven't spotted another kombi yet... I truly cannot wait for Woger and Annie to meet!! even I have a bit of a crush on him... I think it's that pirate flag... gives him that bad boy look . ;)