Underseal chassis and wheel arches

Discussion in 'Body' started by Harribo, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Harribo

Harribo Member

Can anyone recommend a product to paint the wheel arches and underneath my kombi. It's pretty solid so probably wouldn't need to be a rust treatment

Cheers

2. Dubman

Dubman Well-Known Member

most auto stores sell Underbody "Stone Guard" paint its usually got a rubbery feel to it once dry to repel rocks etc, goes on with a brush, MotoSpray Is the brand i have used in the past.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  3. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

Be aware that this stuff can cause rust if not applied properly ie bubbles underneath where moisture can occur

4. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Why not paint it body colour like the factory did?

5. Harribo

Harribo Member

my kombi has a belly pan underneath which was painted the same as the body so might be an idea to do this. Still fancy something hardwearing for the wheel arches though.

6. gazman

gazman Well-Known Member

POR15 is pretty awesome stuff if you dont mind prepping the surfaces properly, or maybe some truck bedliner would be good?

7. chris taylor

chris taylor Well-Known Member

there is a product on the market that comes in a spray can but it doesnt go very far but it easy to use, got it a the local hardware not cheap doing it that way

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    Roos4us likes this.
  8. merrymike

merrymike New Member

I've just gone through the whole underbody of my 79 Type 2 while the engine and gearbox was out. I wire wheeled everything, cleaned down with acetone and then painted over using Rustbullet and a roller. Rustbullet can deal with surface rust and goes on really nice. The colour is metallic silver, looks good.

68BUS likes this.
  9. Tin Bits

Tin Bits Member

I just did my 65 with Lizard Skin its a spray on system and water based so easy to clean up equipment. As long as the surface is clean and primed it sticks like s!-:t to a blanket.
    There is 2 products so you can use either or both. I did all the walls and cab floor with the sound control ( 2 coats ) and then the ceramic insulation with another ( 2 coats ) looks great and can be painted over.
    I did the inside but can be used on the underside as well, boy it made a difference.

10. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

On the T2 I had the wheel arches painted the same colour as the body and painted underneath the chassis matt black with rattle cans. On the T3 I have painted the front wheel arches with 3M chassis black, which is a thick tar based paint which you brush on and I am happy with it. This doesn't seem to be widely available but Supercheap sell a Septone chassis black which is probably the same.

The matt black I used on the T2 is not very durable so I will probably redo that with chassis black. I also bought POR15 which I was planning to use on the T2 but this needs to be applied to bare steel so I didn't use it. I plan to use this on the KG chassis when I redo the floor pans.