1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading on late split

Discussion in 'Splitty Tech Clinic' started by REB, Aug 9, 2020.

1. REB

REB Active Member

Anyone guide me on the right path for my 67 split
    I have a 68 ball joint beam and the standard gearbox in it
    How do i convert to irs , i have a spare rear end out of a 69 fastback ie gearbox up to drums etc
    Also converting to 12 v if i can

2. rabidkombi

rabidkombi Member

Hey Reb,
    Couple of options for IRS
    Creative Engineering IRS
    Indian Automotive IRS
    CSP IRS conversion

Cheers,
    Pete

3. REB

REB Active Member

What sort of gearbox and running gear an i looking at beetle klmbi or type 3 for the back end

4. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

I have two splits running 68 ball joint beams with disk brakes.
    Rear irs using kit from Indian Automotive, bolt in kit so you can go back if wanted , Creative kit is cutting and welding in.
    Using an L bug gearbox.

happy to be corrected but you could go straight axle with the type 3 stuff. I’m no mechanic so perhaps one of the wiser ones can chip in on using the the type 3 gear.

5. 77/kombi/surfer

77/kombi/surfer Well-Known Member

you running sherman drop spindles squidy? to even out the ride.

6. 77/kombi/surfer

hi reb,
    it basically comes down to how low do you wont to go in the car height an hows the budget.
    Nothing cheap on splitties an you want good safe braking (drum brakes are good if you keep adjusting them and radius the brake drums first) Pay once cry once as they say.
    Once you use disc brakes in your splitty you, ll be stoked.
    Theres no protection infront of you so you want to stop real quick if needed.
    Using a Swing axle setup you,ll get the lowest set height. Then Indian irs setup, then creative is higher again.
    With the 68 beam i,m using the Volksconversion drop spindles with his disc brake kit to suit.
    I could of welded in an adjuster plate to get the even height but the spindles give you a like smooth up down suspension movement with an still light steering for turning.
    I have the creative weld in irs end, i personally would just use the indian irs kit for ease of set up. They have a shock absorber bolt in kit to change the postion due to the new irs angle setup.
    You can add a brake booster kit to this later on if you dont weld in the booster plate on your 68 beam to support a disc brake setup if you fit one.
    If you use the indian automotive bolt in irs kit its adjustable for your tyre camber an ride height to even out the car with the front beam which you get done with your tyre alignment/balance..
    A late AH beetle gear box will have higher gear ratio,s . So I idle around in 3rd gear doing 60klm p/h an then to 4th at higher speeds. Im running a 1776 engine so the engine horse power likes the higher ratio box especially when going up hills over taking slow trucks.
    You can drop it back to 3rd an rev it out to 100 easily then into 4th to over take back to 110klm.
    As for 12 volt power.
    You just need the correct 12 volt light bulbs fitted, wipers should be 12 volt but you can tell if there not as they,ll go 100 miles an hour when turned on. You can fit a voltage regulator to sort that.
    So next is what engine are you using? A 1600 will get you going o.k. if your on a tight budget
    cheers chuck

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  7. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

No mate, just adjusters on beam

8. Squidy

Squidy Well-Known Member

upload_2020-8-10_13-54-32.png Sits and rides nice upload_2020-8-10_13-54-32.jpeg

9. 77/kombi/surfer

looks a nice height squidy.
    mines definetley a bit lower for sure.

10. 77/kombi/surfer

heres the link for the indian irs kit.
    https://www.indianautomotive.com.au...products/bolt-in-irs-kits?variant=15198979590
    heres the contact for the front beam brakes an spindles.
    You can speak to john an he,ll tune you in on what you can do with the front end
    https://www.volksconversions.com.au/

To finish off the rear end you just need a 68/9 spring plates or adjustable one, kombi cv,s, and torsion bars ,cv, boots and donut rubbers an torsion covers /bolts and and beetle cv,s and beetle cv boots plus your new shockies to suit.
    for rear hubs you can use nearly all of later kombi setup which is cheaper an easier to find off amy 73 up kombi.
    Then use creative engineering drum conversion on them to keep your 205 wheel stud pattern for your stock splitty rims.
    Ive attached there link which shows a video on how to install it.
    https://creative-engineering.com/product/130-pcd-rear-drum-and-hub-to-fit-68-79-bay-hub/
    Then your engine an a late beetle gearbox.
    let us no what you think

KahunaKombi likes this.
  11. rabidkombi

rabidkombi Member

Great advice from chuck :)
    Chuck what size tyres are you running on the rear with the creative irs
    Cheers,
    Pete

12. 77/kombi/surfer

I,m running a light truck tyre with inner tubes fitted.
    The tyre size is 195R15 70? By hifly made in china.
    I like road clearance so have the higher stiffer side walls truck profile tyres.
    It makes the steering nice an light too!
    Every one should fit inner tubes for splitty rims as they dont have the outer lip on it to keep the tyre on if you get a flat a high speed , also mine had a small amount of pitting when i got them sand blasted so they would of had a slow air leak anyways.
    cheers

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  13. rabidkombi

rabidkombi Member

Hey Chuck,
    Thank you for the tyre information mate,much appreciated
    Cheers,
    Pete

14. REB

REB Active Member

Thought as much might just have to hunt down a late beetle box
    And use later kombi running gear

15. REB

REB Active Member

The type 3 is a 69 irs box

16. 77/kombi/surfer

theres a few different boxes you can use, just depends on the gear ratios with 3rd an 4th gear setups for better fuel economy an lower reving of the engine at top speed.
    Most use a single side plate or AH gear box. Again depends on how low and budget, heres some info for you on different ones, used ones usually go for around $400 an a full rebuild $2500
    https://www.volksconversions.com.au/VC_GearboxCodes.pdf

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020