Us in a club? A Kombi club?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TIPRAT, Nov 6, 2006.

1. TIPRAT

TIPRAT New Member

I write the following to those people that visit this site, perhaps have a kombi, but are unsure about the club and what it’s about.

Earlier this year I went to a major vehicle service centre to get a part for our Star Wagon. While being served a guy (Tom) who I had not met before noticed my Kombi in the c/park and told me about the Kombi Club and that they were having a run this Sunday coming. I thought I don’t know about this, I’m not a club joining person in fact I keep pretty much to myself, but I took in what he said.
    That Sunday I told my wife about the KC and that they were going for a run to Belair and what does she think. Helen looked at me and said, “A club, a Kombi club, us in a club, a Kombi club, us on a Kombi run”. When she said that, I just lost it, it sounded so funny, I said, “It might be fun, something different, what have we got to lose, we go for the drive if they turn out to be a bunch of stiffs we don’t have to see them again”.

So we did, and they were not a bunch of stiffs, in fact the opposite. The Kombi's are as the owners want them to be, not what some club rule determines they must be.
    The people that go to make up the club are as individual as their Kombi’s. They are a bunch of people that don’t just share a common passion for a very special vehicle, but epitomise everything the Kombi is and is seen to be. Friendship, family, fun, sharing jokes, music, food, and information.
    I have made so many lasting friendships because of the club, one only needs to read the postings of past runs to see the camaraderie that exists.

Just thought you should know,
    TIPRAT

David H, Waz356, Debstar and 3 others like this.
  2. brookie

brookie Guest

That would be one of the best posts I have seen on Forum-probably any club forum.
    You have really nailed the total concept of KC and it's members.

Perhaps Roy would like to make it a "sticky"

Debstar likes this.
  3. 4hammers

4hammers Active Member

Perfect.
    Very well said & exactly what I think the KC is about. I have been in the "Club" scene & it can be a pain. There are some benifits, but many take it all to seriously. It is JUST the cars for some. Here, it is based around the Kombis, but it is more than that. It is the people. A certain kind of person will own a Kombi & that I think, is what makes it so good.
    Awesome post Tiprat.
    Brookie, YOU have the power to make it Sticky too!

Rob J

Debstar likes this.
  4. Saggas

Saggas New Member

hammers and I were discussing something like this a few weeks back.
    we don't see ourselves as a club, more a KAG (kombi appreciation group)
    we try to have a get together once a week. But that being said, there is no strict time, and if your late you don't get a fine. There is no one taking minutes, no arguing about how much we should charge for beer, no one cooking lil snacks in the kitchen.. HELL WE DON"T EVEN HAVE A CLUBHOUSE..
    we just rock up, with our busses, shoot the breeze and sometimes discuss a run or something.
    But that being said, we don't set anything down in concrete, if it happens it happens, and hey if it doesn't then it wasn't meant to be aye...kombi karma.

Its good to see its just not the tassie chapter but all over the country (and now the world) people have this same laid back attitude to appreciating kombis and the kombi club.

Debstar likes this.
  5. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

Spot on, that was exactly the reaction I got from Hubby Andy when I mentioned the KC for the first time, like Rob we too have been part of a couple of other clubs (bike riders groups). I know it works for some but not us, couldn't stand all that "mine's bigger, faster, loudest, dearest bu....it"! :p We just want to spend our precious time with a diverse group that we can have fun, camp together, cruise together, laugh, share stories, a drink and swap info with. I can honestly say we have found that with the KC. :D
    Only last night, after another great day out with KC members, Andy was trying to work out how we could sneak away early from a upcoming birthday party so we could join in the next get together !!!!!!!
    Can't wait till Easter next year so we can meet lots of other KC members.:)
    I don't know what makes it all work.....but it does.......so join in everyone and have fun.... Lorraine

Debstar likes this.
  6. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

Yep... any club that let's me drive a rice Kombi without undue scorn is in my good books. :D

Cheers!

Debstar likes this.
  7. brookie

brookie Guest

Done!!!!!!!!!

8. 77bay

77bay Active Member

No truer(?) words spoken mate. I was a member of another club once. Someone saw the sticker and next thing I know it's, who are you, I've never seen you at the monthly meetings, have you paid up? etc. Needless to say I quickly said goodbye in my own special way.

Debstar likes this.
  9. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

Alll very true. I too have been other clubs and have experienced the same. One club was supposed to be for campervans but I finally left when members started comparing microwave ovens at a bush camp. There is a whole lot of better things to get into out there. The people that I have camped with especially those that owned a Kombi have been excellent. Sharing a passion and quite down to earth. What else can you say.

Debstar likes this.
  10. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Yep, thats what KC is all about.

Great post Tiprat

Dave

Debstar likes this.
  11. ttmck

ttmck Super Moderator Staff Member

Im so glad Frank you drove your tiprat mobile kombi into work that day i pounced on you like an eagle from 100 metres in the sky ,to a field mouse in a 100 acre lot .and I know one thing thats for sure we are friends for life !!

With out you and Helen the adelaide side of kombi club in fact the kombi club would just not be the same !

I would love to hear from other members why they joined , how they joined , so pls express your thoughts on kombi club . im sure there are so many positive storys out there !! just waiting for all us to read .

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
    Debstar likes this.
  12. SnowWhite

SnowWhite New Member

Club? What, join a club!!!!

Mr T - beautiful words - I'm very touched to be associated with you and yours.

I found the KC website while looking for info about compliance testing to get SnowWhite registered in SA and tentatively started to post on the forum (which I got heaps about from SW Simon and my work friends) - as soon as I asked the question, Tom (ttmck) had the answer for me, problemo solvered and SnowWhite got registered.

Sussed out the monthly meetings on the forum and figured we'd go along to test the waters - nothing ventured, nothing gained - don't have to go again if we don't fit in approach.... went to our first meeting, recognised Mr Kommodius from photos on the forum and dived right in. Met some of the crew and went home from the evening saying "wow, what a top bunch of people". Very next day, Tom organised a distributor for SW and came around to help put it in.

That weekend, went on our first camping trip to the Coorong. Showed up nervously to the Crafers car park, few intros and off down the road. The weather was bitching - head and side winds - and my lack of confidence driving SW saw me holding everyone up at 80 km/hr. Apologised PROFUSELY when we made it to Meningie - everyone was very kind "we could see when you got blown around so we could prepare!!!" etc - dear Mafti, one of his first questions was "what's in that thing - a 1600?" - had to own up that driver inability and not SW was the problem - she has a mighty fine 2L engine.

Camp was fantastic. I am the first to say that I loathe going to events where I don't know people 'cos I'm actually quite introverted - but there I was, checking out everyone's vehicle, having a chat, slowly meeting people and really enjoying myself - and without SW Simon (my social saviour) who crashed early because he'd worked night duty the night before and had no sleep.

One of the greatest joys is how well all the kids get on - our club has some fabulously kind and tolerant teenage boys, particularly when feral SW Verity gets going. The kids just disappeared on camp, made friends and enjoyed themselves -and have continued to do so on subsequent trips and runs - which makes for good adult time.

I feel particularly privileged to be involved in helping to organise events for OUR club - and we all have so much fun when we catch up.

The other great thing is our diversity - our Matty's just a bairn in the scheme of things but ditched a 21st to come away with us to the Coorong - single people, couples without kids, families, muso's, gadget folks - we're a great bunch!!

Can't wait for our trip to Barmera on the 18th...I have THE banner in my possession so we will make an impact ...

LOL SW Jo

Debstar likes this.
  13. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Great sentiments everyone. I joined up here as I felt a bit alone in my adoration of my Kombi..I was waiting for the "THATS NOT A KOMBI!!" comment ...but it never came. Everyone has made me feel very welcome and has helped me out with answers to my questions and listened to (or read) my ravings and rants :)
    I have met a few of you now, both at Valla..where I was looked after by the blokes...and at Old Bar...where Lorraine showed my hubby that he is not alone in having a wife who is obsessed by her Kombi (in a good way :D ) and I really look forward to meeting lots more of you in Canberra 2007 . Bring it on!!! We are getting bigger and better as the days go by.

Debstar likes this.
  14. SnowWhite

SnowWhite New Member

Quiz nite

Mel

The list of questions just continues to grow .... maybe we could we have a Miss KC Club talent quest ala Priscilla Queen of the Desert - some of our blokes have great legs :) :) (just kidding my SA friends - about the contest, not your legs!!)

LOL jO

Debstar likes this.
  15. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Hmmm..Jo..that might be a bit scary!!! :D

Debstar likes this.
  16. Sheriff

Sheriff Active Member

Here here, great chain of sentiments and thoughts. I too stumbled upon KC researching info about my new acquisition. What a find! A Great bunch of peope linked by a common obsession.

Different walks of life, different histories and different futures...but all with Kombis as the linking thread.
    Newbies learning from the old school...old school enjoying teaching...it's bloody fantastic!!!

Debstar likes this.
  17. Saggas

Saggas New Member

Melissa, thats the reason why im here. People don't judge you by your car. We have everything from ratted splits to immaculate t3's and everything in between.
    as long as its got the VW logo and is bigger than a beetle we seem to enjoy them :p

Debstar likes this.
  18. Saggas

Saggas New Member

haha wasn't picking on beetles at all.
    my misses wants to trade in her suzuki for a nice bug, and im all for that :)

Debstar likes this.
  19. kommodius

kommodius Active Member

Diverse folks, common thread,
    No bull, enough said!

Nice post Frank.

Ray & da Boyz

Debstar likes this.
  20. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Great post tiprat - it's what it is all about

Debstar likes this.