Ute Canopy Hoops and Bows

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by vwkj87, Jan 3, 2018.

1. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

Has anyone sourced hoops and bows for a single or double cab ute canopy?

Also keen to see if anyone has had some made or made something themselves.

2. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

3. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

4. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Jack-Fatboy from Poland on The Samba. I think OSF may have bought from him.

5. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Brought the hoops of jacek ciechomski jacks_garage@wp.pl in poland as mentioned above:rolleyes:. Got them in pieces so they can be sent over in a flatter pack arrangement. They have to be weld up once you receive them.He also sells canopies as well using original style material. I had already had a canopy from busware as mentioned above :rolleyes: made out of sunbrella material which from memory is marine grade material.

6. Poptop

Poptop Well-Known Member

Sorry President I knew it was one of the DC Committee! :)

7. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I never said you where wrongo_O,as OSF and I did a package deal on the hoops and bows. You should remember the canopy as you gave me the lead.:):D

David H and Poptop like this.
  8. grumble

grumble Active Member

I have most of the frames from a G60 patrol which I think you should be able to modify to suit with a little expertise particularly if the imported unit has to be welded. PM if interested in pics or sizes of frames.

9. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

If you want a quality reproduction:

Hoops & Bows

As Wayne indicates, Jacek Ciechomski in Poland is the guy to get them off if you want a quality hand made reproduction of the original Hoops and Bows. He's in Poland and will send you the hoops in a few parts that you then have to weld together (or get someone to weld them together for you). Here is a link to his add on The Samba.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1915806

There are a few guys in America that do them as well, but from what I have seen Jacek's are the best if you are looking for a quality reproduction. They aren't cheap (around $900 AUD including shipping), but all in all I thought the price is pretty reasonable for what you get and the craftsmanship that has gone into them (i.e. they aren't just U channels that have been bent with a few bits welded on).

Here's a couple of pics of how they will turn up.
    Hoops (478x800).jpg Hoops unpacked (478x800).jpg

A couple of pics when I test fitted mine after getting them welded together. They fitted perfectly.
    IMG_1214 (800x600).jpg IMG_1215 (640x480).jpg

Here's an extra modification I made to them to ensure they are super strong and won't crack at the welds with any ongoing flexing or vibration. I welded this extra bracket into the corners at the join. Note: the pic doesn't show it but I then drilled a hole through this bracket to get at the bolt in the corner that will hold the corner wooden slat on.
    VW Body work update 08.04.2017 021 (1024x768).jpg

Canvas Canopy / Tilt
    Busware as noted above is the place to go for a quality reproduction. These are not cheap at all but the decision then just comes down to what you are looking for. If you want a quality reproduction the Jacek for the Hoops/Bows and Tom at Busware for the canopy.

If you are not worried about originality however
    I'd retro fit a canopy off another vehicle (i.e. something like what grumble is talking about) or have a crack at knocking something up yourself.

P.S. If you do end up using Jacek for Hoops/Bows tell him I (Euan) referred you and tell him I said hi.

10. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

I sent him an email, he's getting back to me with a price. I'm doing the canvas myself, so I'm curious to see if anyone has made their own frames.

11. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

He says Hi and Happy new year.

OSF likes this.
  12. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Personally I'd prefer if the hoops were at roof level - think it's what Aspro has on his sweet ..... nah beautiful single cab :D

13. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

I prefer roof height on double cabs and full height on single cabs. It's the proportions.

14. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

It comes down to personal preference I suppose. I'm happy having it higher as I'll also be putting roof racks on the front and that will balance the look for me. Something like this. It will also give me a bit more room in the back for something I want to do later.
    003.jpg

I'm not expecting to be able to drive it into very many covered car parks though.

ruby6689 and Poptop like this.
  15. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

One of these roof racks is what would really do it for me though. Esp. if I could design it in such a way I can still have a canopy on the back.
    8450938283_532c442850_b.jpg 744afc5c98949d4eb94f2fde595971fc.jpg 3b904c_ad409e71aceb07c368bf4c9fa3dfae44.jpg_srz_720_540_85_22_0.50_1.20_0-1.jpg

Poptop likes this.
  16. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

This is why I'm asking about where to source a canopy, and what diy options there are. I like the original canopy but it will be around $1000 just for the frame. I'm also considering making a basic frame, or cutting my roof rack and extending it full length, and hanging a canvas canopy underneath.

Poptop likes this.
  17. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Yeah. I'm just going original to start with, but I would like to modify down the track and go the full length roof rack.

Also keen to get some kind of awning as part of it.
    4154956.jpg

vwkj87 likes this.
  18. KahunaKombi

All down to personal preference - I just look at the "wind drag" with it above the roof line ...... and as for the cross winds :eek:

Plenty of 4WD with suspension on steroids or even roof racks/pods getting into covered car parks so expect it would fit :rolleyes:

19. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Yeah "wind drag", the cross wind "sail" factor and even just the canvas flapping around a bit normally is going to be a bit of an issue with an above roof line canopy set-up and the same as roof height set-up certainly has a number of benefits and is a pretty logical option in this regard.

Personally I'm keen for the above roof height option though and the positives of this outweigh the negatives for me. My default set-up will however be just a tonneau on the back and I'll mainly be using the canopy only for special events or when going away and not in a hurry. Swapping the canopy on and off will be a bit of a pain in the butt itself, but ultimately it only involves undoing 8 bolts, taking the bottom canopy straps off and getting someone else to assist me with lifting the whole thing out in one go. Storing the canopy is then another issue, but that's something else I'm also prepared to deal with.

Re the height. It actually sits quite high and the top of my hoops sit just over 2.2m off the ground with a normal suspension set up and no load in the tray. It will fit into a car park with 2.4m clearance aok, but a lot of them around me are only 2.2m and some are only 2.0m. Something else you won't have an issue with if you go with a set-up the same as roof height however.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  20. KahunaKombi

Some would say there is a solution :rolleyes: & that being to slam it :eek:
    Special occassion use a sensible approach ;)