1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ute Canopy Hoops and Bows

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by vwkj87, Jan 3, 2018.

1. pof

pof Member

Another option is to put a slide into it - like a bike seat pole with quick release level - but inconvenient and also need to consider slack on the canvas - but it is an option if you want adjustable arrangement.

2. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

That's actually not a bad idea. Esp. if you want to ride with them high, but just need to drop them to get into tight car parks or a standard/low garage. Height of the roof racks then might be an issue, but I think they might just squeeze under 2.2m which covers most shopping centres (well the ones around me anyway).

Good thinking!

3. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

Is anyone else thinking of getting some?

4. pof

pof Member

I got my hoops, bows and slats from Kevin at B&M Classics in Melbourne - he imports containers full of V W gear from BBT - https://www.bbt4vw.com/en/info/about.html

Kevin can be contacted at:
    info@bmclassicsaustralia.com.au
    Or Mobile ‭0434 271 667‬
    He bundles up orders until he can fill a container and then places the order so it can take a while.

I’ll post a picture of hoops and bows. They came ready to install without the need to weld. Price in AUD $1480 hoops and bows and $350 for wood slat kit.

For canopy and a tonneau - I’ve got mine in order with Tom Buese - all in just short of US$3900. Canopy I went for in Sunbrella fabric with leather strapping/trim and an awning. Same fabric for tonneau. I’ll post pix when they arrive.

I found both Kevin and Tom very good to deal with.

Poptop, OSF and vwkj87 like this.
  5. pof

pof Member

Here's some drawings of hoops with measurements that you might find useful for measurements etc

Attached Files:

vwkj87 likes this.
  6. pof

pof Member

Here's the picture of the hoops and bows - still in the wrapper though

Attached Files:

7. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

I've been talking to Jacek. Let me know if anyone else wants a set, he can do a better price if more people are interested.

8. pof

pof Member

Has any got any tips with this? - canopy and tonneau arrived from Tom Buese in USA - package held up in customs - they want c.$850 tariff and GST paid - I had understood that there was an exemption for reproduction for vehicles more than 30 years old - has anyone been through this process with customs before?

9. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Anything over $1k now cops GST. As for tarriffs between trading partners (South Pacific agreement) has me done???
    Cheers & Best of Luck.

pof likes this.
  10. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I take it the figure on invoice was placed over the $1000 dollar mark which will include the 10% GST plus customs and tariffs which depends what item class it is in normally 5% more.
    When I got from Bus ware the figure was place under the $1000 dollar mark and didn't pay anything.

11. OSF

OSF Well-Known Member

Yep. You got to be careful bringing anything in from overseas. Need ensure the seller documents the 'correct' ;) price on the paperwork.

If it's any consulation ... I learn't the hard way as well, when I brought my gates in.

12. pof

pof Member

Been back an forward with Customs over past week - I'm on the hook for GST and $90 admin fee, but was granted a tariff exemption under US/Aust Freetrade agreement - needed to provide Certificate of Origin from supplier together with the Declaration Form - this saved 5% tariff charge. Was a bit of a process but got there eventually

13. Wayne murray

Sounds like good news:)

14. Hackenpusher

Hackenpusher New Member

I have a guy here in Bathurst who said he was going to make hoops based on mine... I don't know what the cost is as we were only discussing it on Monday...The canopy is only on for camping as it gets very windy where I live.... I will be camping in it this weekend for the surf festival .. Come over & say hi & have a look

15. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Pop over to the “New Members” section here, and start a thread to say “Hi”, so other members here can also welcome you to KC...;)

16. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

The set from Jacek is under $1000 anyway , especially if more people want a set.

17. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

I'm finally ordering a set from Jacek. What timber are people using for the slats?

18. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

Has anybody used tassie oak for the timber? And if not, what are people using?

19. Wayne murray

I will be using (American 0r European) Ash. Which is original timber used.

vwkj87 likes this.
  20. vwkj87

vwkj87 Active Member

Is that easy to find? Tassie Oak also goes by Victorian Ash.