1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve adjustment for smarties!

Discussion in ''How To' & 'Handy Hints'' started by Schmoburger, Jan 20, 2007.

1. torquenut

torquenut New Member

Metric Age

For those of us with metric feelers, .20 = 0.006inch. On the inlets of my type 2, 1800, we run .20mm on both inlet and exhaust in winter. In summer, we run the Exhaust at 0.25mm. This extra gap allows the valve more contact time with the head and (my theory) allows the valve to cool a bit more. You may loose a bit of performance, but a loose tappet is always better than a tight one. If they are tight, hot gasses can slip past the valve edge and burn them out.
    Go Kombi:)

2. kombicrazy

kombicrazy Member

valve setting

im no expert, but i set mine at 6 thou, but when travelling in hotter conditions, ie summer in melb or up in NT or QLD, i set them out to 8 thou.......makes a slight chatter but still get enough power and no chance of pulling a valve thru....

3. Schmoburger

Schmoburger Active Member

I get the felling mine are around 12 right now... the noise driving up Black Mountain is terrible!

have to adjust sometime soon!

4. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Baz im the same as you i think, totaly confused. but now i have it under control, i think. :lol: to much reading over and over. I also think i set to the wrong mark that was on there, there was white, purple and yellow. i think i have it all correct as well, with just white only. Now to start all over again. no skun knuckles yet, just a blood blister from those darn covers. :lol:

5. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

Brian - I've gone with the John Muir book - I find it very easy to understand. I refer to the Bentley manual if I need photos.

Cheers,

Baz

6. dbs

dbs Member

and if you do this,.... be careful to turn it ssslllloooowwwlllyyyy,.... last thing you want is for it to fire with a spanner attached. Yes it is not likely to happen, but it can,... and you don't want that.
    ;)

7. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

Baz, i got a bit lost with kierens post. i finished up finding what to do in the samba forum. i even done it mate. I have manuals but to hard to read.

8. emby

emby Active Member

9. spearsy

spearsy Active Member

once you have set no.1 cylinder you can rotate the engine 180 degrees in an anti clockwise direction and do no.2 cylinder which is on the same side as no.1 so you cando one side at a time.you then do no.3 when you turn anti clockwise again 180 degees and so on for no.4.
    the engine fires as 1 4 3 2 so by going anti clockwise you are doing it as 1 2 3 4.
    cheers,hope this helps.

10. jon ward

jon ward Active Member

Thats how I learnt to do it.

Quick and easy.

11. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Chro-molly no gap

Dave

12. Split 1

Split 1 New Member

Yep if you can spin it in your finger's is good

Dave

13. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

14. london_mike

london_mike New Member

Got to step 10 then had to put it all back together again and go and buy a feeler gauge.:rolleyes:

Heh. Not really. :lol:

15. wowkombi

wowkombi New Member

Hi all, from nom on I will always check the wear on the tappets before adjusting! Actually, I will not assume anything anymore with my 2 ltr CJ engine, thanks to PO.

I discovered the exhaust valve tappet screw on cyl 2 had EXCESSIVELY worn out. The valve had actually hammered a depression in the screw! As I was short of a replacement and needed to get going, I filed the screw back to a flat(ish) face. After driving 250 km, I checked and replaced all screws: The same screw had a ~1mm depression again (noticed the loss of power compared to 250 km ago).

There was similar wear on the cyl 4 exhaust screw. The other 8 screws showed some form of wear, but nothing like those 2 exhaust screws. (photo attached)

So, I was wondering why the exhaust tappet screws could wear out so much more than the others? All exhaust valve stem ends had minor pitting on them, but all inlet valves ends looked smooth.

Apart from the source of excessive wear issue, I'm concerned I have replaced the screws with the WRONG type and I need help to figure out which ones are right. The old screws look like the ones used with hydraulic lifters. The ones I put in are for the 1.8-2ltr engine.

How can I find out what cylinder heads / cam shaft I have. The engine code is CJ, but I think the PO had heavily modified the engine...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016