1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve adjustment is TDC at the split in engine or to the mark at 11 oclock?

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Travelbug73, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Travelbug73

Travelbug73 New Member

Hello

(Before I start I have searched the sticky threads but I am still confused)
    1979 2L Bay Window
    I just replaced my pushrod tube seals and thought I would adjust the valve clearance. From what I gather on this forum to find TDC Capture.PNG you line up the notch on the fan pulley to a mark at around 11 oclock on a piece of metal that is bolted between the plastic fan gaurd mesh and the block see photo. When its lined up as in photo the distributer is pointing at the notch in the distributor housing

On all the Youtube videos which are American they say line up the notch on the pulley to the centre line or join line of the motor at 12 oclock to find TDC.

The reason I am asking is that my car was running ok before I adjusted the valves using the ll oclock mark. after adjusting the the valve clearance the car wont Idle. The car runs ok but doesnt idle properly. Would I just need to adjust the idle cable? or have I done it to the wrong mark ?

Mr Beckstar likes this.
  2. galp

galp Member

with the rocker cover off move to TDC checking the cylinder valves you want to do are not moving as it is on compression, the other cylinder will be "rocking"
    then make the cylinder valves you just done get to the rocking position and do the other cylinder which is now on compression
    hope this makes sense!

3. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

There is supposed to be a plastic graduated scale bolted to the top left of the fan mesh cover. You can also buy aluminium replacements. I used an endoscope down number 1 cylinder spark plug hole to verify TDC as I don’t trust the 40 year old scale or the reproductions. The split in the crankcase method is for the type 1 motor (1600), not the type 4 motor.

Wayne murray likes this.