1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve thrown advice please

Discussion in 'Engine & Transmission' started by Winged, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Winged

Winged Member

In addition one of my cylinder/head studs is kaput. Should I be replacing them all (either studs themselves &/or threads ) or just leaving well enough alone?
    Thanks

2. andrew

andrew Active Member

Sorry for the slow response - definitely replace the stud. I am away and will get you the detail on the valves when I get back to Melbourne.

3. Winged

Winged Member

All the studs or just the bum one?

4. andrew

andrew Active Member

I would get the others assessed and replace s necessary - in the past on other engines I have replaced them all if there are issues.

5. Winged

Winged Member

Thanks Andrew I will talk to the machinists about it. Are they case savers that i need?

Are these the spacers i need? Doesnt specify hydrolic though

https://type4store.com/rocker-spacer-kit.html

Are they used for racing or something as well as hydro?

6. andrew

andrew Active Member

Winged,

As I bought normal lifters I reused the rockers from the heads and did not need spacers so I'm not familiar with the change in lengths or the need for spacers.

The case bolts etc will all be fine to reuse - I will be interested when I go to recheck the head torsion etc - the engine is running beautifully so I'm carefully following the oil changes and maintenance process

oldman and Winged like this.
  7. Winged

Winged Member

8. Winged

Winged Member

9. andrew

andrew Active Member

Winged - list looks fine - bearings may not be correct size depending on crankshaft and any machining or line bore - hopefully all standard - mine ended up with 10thou oversize.
    With the oil pump - I bought a new one - it was deeper and tighter onto the new cam bolts so back in with an old one - oil preasure is great so no need for the one I bought. Have you tested the old one?

10. Winged

Winged Member

No i haven't tested it. Not sure how?
    Is it a case of matching pump to cam? How will i know if the bearings are right?
    Do bearings need to be sourced once the condition of the crank is know?

11. andrew

andrew Active Member

I bought a pump with extra capacity which was deeper and with the new cam having bolts rather than rivets there was no clearance for the additional depth.
    If the crankshaft is ground or the align bore requires machining the bearings will need to be the right size for the machined reductions.

12. Winged

Winged Member

Hi again, quick question. The new cam thats going in recommends HD springs on the heads. Do i need different ( eg steel) push rods when running HD springs?
    Cheers W

13. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

No. Stock is fine

David H likes this.
  14. Winged

Winged Member

Tassie is a great place to live if you dont want your engine fixed. Some 7 months later and the machinist has just done some bits and bobs. Each time i get told he'll start in a few weeks time. With my faith shaken in ' Tasmanian Engine rebuilders' I'm concerned Ill get burnt. Can anyone tell me approx how many hrs work is involved in replacing the cam, cleaning up the crank then rebuilding to the piston/ head stage? What $$ (ballpark) Haven't even been able to get a quote.

15. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

That’s rubbish. I would be at the stage of paying him for what he has done and taking it back. A few weeks should have been more than enough. I am wondering how much experience he has with VW.

Have you talked with Andrew Robinson at Robinson Automotive? If Leigh at Tyre Express is still doing them he is another Tassie choice. Murfett in Ulverstone the other Tassie person. If you are willing to ship to the mainland there are numerous other options.

Good luck.

Adrian

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Agree with Adrian.
    Someone pissing me around that much , I wouldn't have confidence that he has performed that important work properly.
    Make him substantiate the hours so far, come to a fair price acceptable to both parties, and go elsewhere.
    Ensure you get all your bits back.

Chidori and Mordred like this.
  17. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

I had similar issues in Canberra a number of years ago - dragged on for months.There was always an excuse and it was always going to be ready “next week” I walked in one day and just flat out told them I was picking the engine up there and then finished or not - I ended up standing watching them complete the engine and left with it...

Chidori likes this.
  18. Winged

Winged Member

I think its a case of bigger paying jobs keep taking precedence. Its not a massive amount of work. He said he'd done a few CJ engines before and the only other rebuilders ( Gorringes) said they dont have the gear???? Tried ringing them twice just in case i got a different answer.
    Id called Andrew Robinson who said he sends his to Gorringes.
    The guy doing (hypothetically) my engine atm said that 2lt cranks generally don't need replacing. Andrew R said something similar. Does this have any truth to it?

19. Mr Beckstar

Mr Beckstar Well-Known Member

I had my CJ engine overhauled in January and crankshaft was fine.

20. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

From what I have heard from a lot of sources it is the case main bearing mounts that are the most damaged on high mileage 2l engines, and the cranks are often ok. You get the case shaved and then line bore the case. The engine I bought rebuilt was apparently sent to Adelaide to line bore it.

Adrian

Mr Beckstar likes this.