1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ventilation for Gas Compliance

Discussion in 'Camping Australia' started by MarcoLoco, Feb 18, 2021.

1. MarcoLoco

MarcoLoco Member

Hi I am trying to get a gas certificate for my T3 Syncro camper conversion. One of the requirements is 200cm2 permanent ventilation near the floor and near the roof. The one near the floor is usually done via a vent in the door.

I am struggling with the ventilation near the roof. Has anyone gotten a gas certificate and had to provide the permanent ventilation near the roof? How did you do it?

Cheers

Marc

2. David H

David H Well-Known Member

Hi Marc,
    No knowledge here but following with great interest.
    My T2 Sopru does the floor bit thru some 50mm tubes behind the fridge/stove unit & I guess the top via the little pivot roof.
    Cheers

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  3. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Do you have windows or is it a panel van?

4. MarcoLoco

MarcoLoco Member

From the gas fitter I got information that now you need 200cm2 permanent unrestricted ventilation each top and bottom. How many tubes do you have on the bottom? What is a pivot roof?

5. MarcoLoco

MarcoLoco Member

I have an original windows van.

6. David H

3 tubes 5cm across. Pivot roof is like a skylight in the pop up roof.
    Reckon you could use these on the bottom & on the top (with a shroud to stop water entry)?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bunnings vent louvre&oq=bunnings ventilation louvre&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i22i30.22273j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    Cheers

7. MarcoLoco

MarcoLoco Member

Thanks, I agree these vent louvres would work for the bottom. Not sure about the shroud.
    On the top the gas fitter recommended this: https://bigredcaravanparts.com.au/products/camec-4-seasons-evolution-roof-hatch.html
    It is a roof hatch that opens on the sides, but it also has permanent ventilation for exactly this reason. Problem is that it is huge: 660x660mm, and it makes the car 10cm higher. I am looking for a better solution.

8. David H

Attach underside at front. Roll over & attach rear side.
    This will cover top side venting:).
    shroud697.jpg
    Cheers

9. kleinersyncro

kleinersyncro Active Member

Hey Marc,
    Are you sure you want to cut a hole in a Syncro?
    Not a good idea when going through some creeks...

If so cut a hole in the sliding door bottom and may replace one of the rear windows with a vented one from a GL model

10. spark

spark Active Member

Personally I would not be cutting holes , I would run things on full electricity as trakka and other news conversions are doing , Induction cooking and electric refrigeration saves weight and new regulation problems.

AC-T3 likes this.
  11. MarcoLoco

MarcoLoco Member

I definitely don't want to cut a hole if I don't have to. I like the idea with the vented rear window! That could be a solution. I have another idea: use the rear motor vents. On eof them looks like it is not used for anything, so if I cut a hole from the inside and cover it with a vent it should work. I just have to see what the gas fitter thinks.

Cheers

Marc

David H likes this.
  12. MarcoLoco

MarcoLoco Member

Hi never thought of using induction cooking. I did a brief research on the topic and it sounds to me like you need 3 massive batteries to operate the caravan cooktops. I don't have space for that. Nice idea, though.

13. kleinersyncro

kleinersyncro Active Member

Sounds like you don’t have a gas installation done yet. In that case, I would look for mobile alternatives e.g. stoves with cartridges. Unless you desperately wan to have big bulky gas bottles.
    I have got a metho stove which works fine for me, Origo 3000 dual burner - and a spare bottle of metho - less space and lighter.
    Also an alternative, multi fuel stove from Coleman - no need for any gas ventilation

What would be the main purpose of you gas installation Marc? Just cooking, def would suggest another option mate

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    Barry and Grantus like this.