1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[VIC] Bus Stop 2011 Convoy Details

Discussion in 'Kombi Club Bus Stop 2011' started by Dingostrategy, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Dingostrategy

Dingostrategy Active Member

PM received with thanks!

2. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi Peace Fam, We would be interested in taking up your offer for Wednesday night. It will depend how tired the family is by the time we get to Sale (and that may depend how good the night crossing on the Spirit is). Google maps gives the time as 4 1/2 hours so allow another hour on that. We historically get off the ferry around 6.00 am so we have to go through peak hour to cross the city. Once we get out of there we should be right.

Regards
    Adrian

3. peace_fam

peace_fam Member

Hi Morded, i comfortably did Glen Waverly to Bairnsdale in 4.25 hrs last Thursday in my T3, stopping for 20 mins at Sale to pick something up. Even taking it really easy, 5 hours would allow heaps of time to get to Raymond Island. Your very welcome to stay as we have 1 acre to around us. The more the merrier! Will PM you my pone numbers.

4. Alpal

Alpal Moderator Staff Member

This itinerary sounds like our sort of cruise. Still on Trav? And is Sam the man on deck?
    Also avoids the sand flies!
    We would look at meeting at Noojee tues PM if it suits and cruising on the next day.

5. Volksy85

Volksy85 Member

any word on this guys? im eastern suburbs

6. Dingostrategy

Woz - what was the place you mentioned about a metro meetup? Somewhere in a carpark outside a shopping centre but I can't find it or remember where to look.

DS

7. Trav&Ren

Trav&Ren Member

Yep, this is our definate plan.
    Anyone who is leaving Tuesday is more than welcome to join us in Noojee and convoy from there.
    Sam is on board but I think Patches has changed plans.

Trav

8. Trav&Ren

Trav&Ren Member

OK, so now our plans aren't so definate. Unfortunately my Grandfather passed away this morning so our plans are now on hold.
    Sam and I are still hoping to make it but we're not sure when we will be leaving or getting there.
    Sorry to pull out on you Alpal.

We're still really looking forward to this trip. See you all there.

Trav.

9. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

My deepest sympathies go out to Trav, Ren, Sam and family at this sad time.

10. Dingostrategy

yep - solidarity to you guys. We'll be waiting with a cold bear and a comfy seat when you get there.

11. Alpal

Condolences Trav to you and your family.
    We will probably stick to your travel plans and hope to see you along the way. Best wishes.

12. beerdoc

beerdoc Active Member

Condolences to you and your Family

13. The Dub Driver (Byronbug)

The Dub Driver (Byronbug) Well-Known Member

Healing wishes & respectful thoughts to you all on the passing of your grandfather :heart:

14. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

I suggested the service road just past Dandenong as it is a location that has been used before. Sorry I haven't been on KC much, I have been busy with a couple of non-kombi projects.

Here's a map I prepared earlier, with a possible meeting spot, a couple of backup spots and Scrubby Creek marked.
    http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?i...7.622934,147.573853&spn=2.854028,4.938354&z=8

Alice and I are completely unprepared for this trip! We will have to spend the next few days frantically getting ready. See you all Thursday! :)

And my condolences Trav, Ren Sam and family.

15. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

I just glanced back over the thread but couldn't spot an agreed time to meet. Is 7am at Dandenong too early?

Did I miss any discussion in this thread or elsewhere that I should have noted?

I was originally going to propose Mallacoota as it is a beautiful town, but IIRC it didn't meet the preferences of free or low-cost, dog-friendly and campfires. It was also a detour from the main-road which meant it wasn't much closer to Melbourne than Scrubby Creek. I would like to return there another time though on a KC trip.

The road from Noojee to the coast can reportedly be a bit fraught in wet or icy weather so thought it best to avoid, especially for those on their first lengthy road trip.

Scrubby Creek would be a lengthy trip on the first day, further than I would have preferred, but there weren't a lot of acceptable options before then. I thought it safest for us to get the longest part of the trip completed on the first day in case of problems - I have a couple of alternative sites marked earlier on the trip in case, although they don't seem as attractive as Scrubby Creek, fingers crossed though that we don't need them.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  16. wbx4me

wbx4me Member

Anyone leaving melbourne thursday after work??? .... contemplating
    melbourne --> bairnsdale (260k) --> scrubby creek (250k) -stop in bairnsdale as its about half way and probably the last fuel open at that time of night.

17. Dingostrategy

woz I'm pretty sure there's substantial consensus on Scrubby Creek. I'll be there that's for sure. I might catch you guys before as well if you're not too busy saving the ABFTs and packing, that is! I don't think there's too much else to organise for the Melbourne/SA/TAS convoy. A few are hoping to stay at Peace Fam's joint on the Wednesday night.

BTW for reference to others in case I'm of any value my number is 0417 525 (ignore this) 153 (this is done so robots don't scan the interwebz for mobile numbers and make spam texts - GRRRR)

18. peace_fam

peace_fam Member

The offer is still open to anyone for the Wednesday night at Raymond island (15km divert to coast from Bairnsdale). Just PM me to let me know. Having a BBQ tea; looking forward to meeting everyone.

19. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

Kat and I are looking to get as far as we can Wed night, but will probably end at Sale as my journey starts 30k's the other side of Ballarat and I don't want to push too hard. A lot of parts on the old Kombi have been there for 37 years!!

I'll be bringing a mini mobile workshop including a multi-meter for electrical faults and spares such as an electric fuel pump, cables, wire, points and a few other replacement parts for things that commonly break and can be fixed on the side of the road, so in case you need help, my number is 0409431087. I will not be carrying a socket set. Too heavy and noisy!!

20. Alpal