1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[VIC] Bus Stop 2011 Convoy Details

Discussion in 'Kombi Club Bus Stop 2011' started by Dingostrategy, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

Aime, Ill see your tool and and part list and raise you 2 socket sets an alternator, but not a starter, and a complete driveshaft. (at least). Not quite as comprehensive as last year, as Tam put her foot down and said I couldn't bring the rolling toolbox this time.:(

Explanation of why I have the whole drive shaft is it is easier and less messy to change the whole shaft than to change one cv, and you cant keep going with out an alternator, but you can push start if the starter goes. BTW the starter is heavier than the alternator.

Adrian

2. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Volksattus Kombus Splittum

"Blow winds and crack your cheeks...for surely the fates conspire to bring down upon me the easter of my discontent. My departue from the unwilling shores of SA delayed to late thursday at best. Ahh...the travails of a busy practice and recalcitrant litigants! A trifle to me ..... for my heart goes out to "trav and ren" on your loss..sad times,but all the more important to rendezvous later with kindred souls...similarly...Synchro 27....the anguish of a sick little one and such helplessness...good luck and god bless! As for moi...a long push thursday night direct to Canberra for friday check in...for nothing will stand in my way:mad: Volksattiii...happy pilgrimage and I will see you at the holy site! BEERDOC...dont forget your "kool serum" .. serendipity beckons. John Doherty in Adelaide:cool:

3. greenbay

greenbay New Member

Hurry up then sir,I am the sole Vw driver at this park at present and am makind do with the company of mere caravanners

4. Terrordales

Terrordales Active Member

Are you Brahms & Liszt, Mr.Gould?
    Your spelling is terrible this evening & you didn't call in for a coffee with me.
    How is your cabin ( big nancy jessie boy)?

5. beerdoc

beerdoc Active Member

THat was our plan but Kaye has thursday off now so we will be heading through Melb about 9 ish am aiming for Scrubby creek ye baby

Hope to see ya all thursday

6. Trav&Ren

Trav&Ren Member

Thank you all for the warm support and condolences.
    We are looking at heading off Wednesday night or Thurdsday morning, so Scrubby Creek may still be a possibility.

The road is calling!

Trav.

7. VanAime

VanAime Active Member

I'll have the spare starter. It's a light-weight model I had specially built by a chap in Melbourne, but I haven't actually tried it to see if it fits yet:eek: However, it is small and light enough to throw in the spare parts compartment.

As for the alternator, it's actually quite amazing how far you can go without one. I once drove an old XC panelvan from Ballarat to Swan hill with my two (then) teenage boys and their go-cart. We had a few electrical things running all the way, drove around the place for a while Saturday night and got almost back to Ballarat until just on dark when I pulled on the headlights and the engine died. Put the lights off and the engine fired again. It was then that I realised that some welding work had been done to the vehicle the week before and the guy doing the welding had taken the wires off the alternator in case the welder blew it out. I also vaguely remembered him telling me to put them back on, but I only hear what I want to hear when men start harping. All in all, that old van drove well over 500 k's (probably a lot more) on just the battery and started no problems a couple of times Saturday night.

If the alternator on the bus dies, I plan to buy another one and charge the two alternatively at the caravan parks using the small battery charger I'll also be carrying, so it seems Adrian, that between the two of us, we'll be right.........until the "black swan" event occurs:lol:

8. john doherty

john doherty Well-Known Member

Madam van Aime...you are such a competent and formidable character...that I feel inadequate when I read of your preparations...I too will be fully equipped for that unexpected "black swan". I have 2 litres of Glenfiddich...a Bex and a good lie down:p I hope I make it...would have preferred being under your reassuring wing but if I have to I will just 'wing' it. I am looking forward to making your acquaintance once again. John Doherty in Adelaide:cool:

9. Mordred

We make a good team aime. The black swan better watch out. Am on the boat and about to sit down to a nice rum and dry. Hope to see you tomorrow or the next. We are going to press on to Raymond island at this stage and may have picked up another who is finding his way.

Peace fam, there might be 2 more for the BBQ. We will grab some stuff from bairnsdale on the way through. Is there any particular time we need to be at the ferry?

Adrian

10. peace_fam

peace_fam Member

BBQ is on me. Just BYO grog unless you have special dietary needs. The ferry runs continuously if busy (it did on and off today) otherwise leaves the 'mainland' at 1/4 to and 1/4 past the hour, on continuous between 5pm and 6pm.

We look forward to meeting you.:D

11. Van Housing

Van Housing Well-Known Member

Once again, Alice and I will be in contention for worst costume - but at least we now have costumes. (we forgot to order our preferred outfits in time). We have finally started to pack - as always, we have left everything until the final hours. :umm: .... I won't have time to clean up the kombi, but we are very excited about the trip, hooray!

We aim to be at the stop in Dandenong by 7am, although we will probably be late. Is anyone else meeting us there?

My phone number is 0402 568 486 if anyone needs to get in contact. See you all tomorrow at Scrubby Creek! :)

12. Wodewick

Wodewick New Member

Have a terrific and safe trip guys. :) love Rod & Marg.

13. Mordred

Saw Alpal at sale on his way to Buchan, and are now relaxing on Raymond Island with peace fam and her family after a beautiful meal. Looking forward to seeing all the rest on the way to scrubby creek.

Adrian

14. Mordred

Have made it to bermagui. Having lunch before the last 34 k. Around 12 in the convoy but Woz and Alice are running behind due to dog illness. Hope it is all ok, and they can catchup for our arrival. Thoughts are with you.

Adrian