1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vic to WA, 3rd August to 1st Sept 2013. The Bay goes for a drive.

Discussion in 'Kombi Stories' started by sclarke7171, Aug 1, 2013.

1. sclarke7171

sclarke7171 Member

Saw flipper and his mum at the head of the bight.
    image.jpg

2. skat66

skat66 Member

After a major breakdown with the 4x4 module :D we have got gun shy on going off road. Looks great, will have to exchange storied tonight.

3. sclarke7171

sclarke7171 Member

Gaz. Just saw you pull in. Do you have a spare engine?

4. sclarke7171

sclarke7171 Member

Update. We are in Norseman. Oil consumption for last 400km has been 5 litters. And the last 50km it hurt bad. Limped into town on 3 cylinders and a smoke screen.
    Had the local RAC blokes worker follow me in and had a yarn. Will know in morning if I get a tow to Perth.

5. jennifer lane

jennifer lane Member

Aww, not good,Ring me at R/house this morning if u do no good with tilt ,Caiguna 0890393459,See if i can get u backloaded on 1 of trucks going into perth, My number is 0429265508. Cheers Jen

6. skat66

skat66 Member

Been there done that, know what it feels like Steve, handy having Jenny and her truck contacts for a backload. Ring Karl and tell him it is coming in, he will look after you.

Best of luck today.

Garry

7. sclarke7171

sclarke7171 Member

Called Karl this morning. He's going to try to make room for us.
    Update re the last 12 hours.
    Was at Norseman last night. The Kombi wreck there the owner won't part it out.
    So we headed off to Perth. 3 cylinders and more oil than fuel.
    We got 53km out of Coolgardie. It failed like yours did.
    Big cloud of smoke and a rattle.
    We got the extra 5km or so to get to a rest spot.
    Called RAC. Waiting on a call back re the tow tomorrow.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

8. skat66

skat66 Member

Bug*{r. About the same distance east of Perth as we were north of Perth. Life with a Kombi, its not the destination that is important, its the journey.

Pity you could not find a motor in Kalgoolie. Sure Karl will work out something.

Keep us informed.

Garry

9. Barney Barndoor

Barney Barndoor Active Member

Sorry to hear mate & wish I could help, all the best in your Kombi's recovery..

Barney Barndoor

10. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

Steve,
    You mention Karl, I assume you mean Karl Lang, Lang Motors in Bayswater, top bloke, he will fix it for sure, loves a chat.
    Overheated number 3? Did you get a lot of dirt stuck in the air fins when you got bogged, that won't help cooling. Had that one mine with North west dust, red and fine and bloody hard to get out when it's baked in there.
    Shame your going back on the 1st, all the VW peeps meet up at Alfred's burger place on the first Wednesday of the month. Also go onto the VWCLUBWA site we have a mob from the club down Marg. river, great bunch, they have meets in Bussellton as well. Check out the events section, you can go on as a guest. There's phone numbers on the site if your stuck or need help, keep posting on how your going.
    Cheers
    Rossco

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  11. sclarke7171

sclarke7171 Member

Rosco, yeah Karl Lang. It was using oil way before I went dune bugging.
    Don't know what pot yet. If RAC don't come today, ill pull plugs then the failed head to look

12. Rossco WA

Rossco WA Member

Cool Steve hope the RAC turn up soon..

13. sclarke7171

sclarke7171 Member

image.jpg image.jpg
    2 days wait for RAC. 5am pick up from bush.
    New wheels for 10 days !!! Wicked is the term one does not use !!!

14. skat66

skat66 Member

Hi Steve,

Hows the Wicked van going and any news from Karl on your problem?

15. sclarke7171

sclarke7171 Member

Wicked camper is not wicked at all. It sux. But like all hire cars. Faster and better off road. Lol.
    Yeah my cyl 2 valve guide let go and same as yours. So new LH head. New clutch and hopefully Friday will be ready. :)
    We are in a railway cabin in Margaret river at the moment. Katie had to have a real bed.
    Pix will come when we get my laptop back. It's in the kombi.

Steve

16. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Steve,

How did this all go?

Are you back on the road (in the kombi - not the dodgy Wicked Van)?

Cant believe this problem keeps happening - the third Ive heard in 4 months on a trip through the outback.

17. skat66

skat66 Member

I missed your post Steve, I gether Karl has looked after you. You probably have my rebuilt head out of Wayne:umm:

Did a full service and tune up in Melbourne last week and my tappets had started closing up again after the trip across from Perth. I think I really need to go learn how to adjust them and do it often. I gather this is the general problem that causes the most heartache on the long distance travel. Also rerouted the oil cooler lines so it is back working again. Hope I dont have the problem again. Rosso also worked on the sliding door and it is working, at the moment. fingers crossed.

You back in Melb?

Garry

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  18. sclarke7171

sclarke7171 Member

Synchro. I have up on posting as I was disheartened with the whole exercise.
    The wicked camper wore us both down. Complete crap. But you get what you pay for.
    Picked the Kombi up on the Friday and got a bad dose of fuel, well I think at the Nullabor road house in SA. It started pinging bad and lost all power. Reset the tappets, dumped the fuel and off we went. Well that was the start of the stress. Was every morning I had to reset them. So about 400km. Then it got to the last 2 days where it was every 150km. At the start it was cyl 1&2 that needed it. Then it was 1&3. Then it was 3&4. Finally it was random valves. But the main ones were the inlet. Was not burning exhaust valves. I limped it home. Sat we got home and I had to reset them at altona. Then FTG. It never overheated. Not were the heads hot. I could touch them with a slight ouch factor. Oil temp was 60-80 deg.

I thought Karl may have leaned the carbs out. But I don't know.
    Ill rip the engine out in the next few weeks and pull it down.
    I'm going to put my 914 twin weber engine in it.

To be honest. I'm tired and over it. The trip cost so much that I was going to torch it to get some $$$ back. Ha ha
    Ill fix it and see if I fall inlove again. If not, ill sell it and buy a camper with no soul. Or just do what I used to and throw the swag in the land rover or Amarok.

I still crave to build a lifted and modified T4 synchro :)
    But as I have a house to finish, a 914 to finish, a 850R to make into a rice burner killer and tidy up my suzuki's and sell them. So it can wait. Plus I need to pay the credit card off. Ha ha

As soon as I know what's wrong I'll let you know. And I'll be letting Karl know. If its a oversight of him, I'll be sending the head back and requesting my money back.
    At this stage I have no idea and I'm not in a hurry to find out.
    It will be sad to put a 2200cc weber engine in it :)

Steve

19. skat66

skat66 Member

Steve,

Thats a sad end to the trip.

Keep the faith, maybe a new donk will do the trick.

Garry