Vinyl and Carpet Dye

Discussion in 'Interior' started by KahunaKombi, Jun 6, 2007.

1. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Posting this also here so it's get noticed - thanks Kombi Guardian.

Have noticed on other Forums re changing colour of vinyl and carpets.
    You have to use a carpet/vinyl dye not paint.
    VHT is best brand but has been in short supply lately die to factory fire.
    Distributed by Speco Thomas.
    Have used it on 5-6 Kombi seats, door and side panels as well as hoodlinings.
    Read instructions and make sure surface is clean and free from grease.
    Rub over gently with soft cloth after 24 hours.
    The product is very good and was used by Ford Motor Co in original GT Falcons as they could not get black at time and dyed brown seats from Fairmont models .
    You do not use PAINT on seats or door trims.
    We have also tried other brands but no where near as good.

The Rod and Custom guys also use this very successfully and many restorers.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  2. djsolstice

djsolstice New Member

So what do you use to paint those masinite door trims. I couldn't really understand what you where talking about.

3. the invisible smith

the invisible smith New Member

Previously I've only ever used this to change the colour of interior panels, but I've been thinking of changing the colour of my rear seat... I was wondering does this stuff rub off at all after extended "bums on seats"?

4. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Craig we had this on the back seat in Wilbur for about six months and no colour ever came off. We have now completely recovered all the seat's so I cant say what would happen in a longer time frame.
    Michelle

5. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

I've just finished mine and they look fabulous. Not sure if the colour will still be as good in a year's time, but if Bert says it's the right stuff to use, it's the right stuff to use.

Plus, it's only $11 a can, and for less than $100, I've changed the entire look of my interior by doing the seats. A hell of a lot cheaper than re-upholstering the seats..... :D

6. the invisible smith

Thanks guys,

I've decided I'm going to give it a crack on the weekend. I'm going to do the rear seat and also the headliner, it's looking a little worst for wear.
    I figure if I get 6-12 months out of it, it's still better than how it looks now.
    If it comes up alright and I'm not too embarrassed I'll put some pics up. :eek:

To infinity and beyond.....

7. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

This is a couple of shots when we did ours, we have since redone the upholstery.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. the invisible smith

They've come up so well..
    Curious.. did you need to rub it down after with some sort of sealant, or was that finished straight out of the can.
    Oh, and how many cans did that take?

9. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Craig I think we used quite a few cans around 10-12 I think from memory. We did the seat and the three big cushions that you use to sleep on. The two up the top and the big one for the bottom bed.
    We didn't put anything over the paint to seal it, I wasn't to worried because I was going to recover the seats anyway.
    It wasn't easy to get the colour we wanted because the factory where it comes from had a fire so they didn't produce for a while.I had to drive to a few places to get enough cans.
    Good luck
    Michelle

10. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Yes, that will be the main problem you have - actually getting the tins of paint. They're are not around everywhere and not all Repco/Autobahn shops stock them. Ring around first, or you'll likely waste lots of petrol.

BTW, this is the website of all of the Speco products. Worth a look. http://www.speco.com.au/Downloads/VHTBrochure.pdf

11. the invisible smith

Thanks Kyra,

Both Autobarn and Repco in Burleigh stock it also their stocks are a bit thin. So between those two and the phone hopefully I'll scrounge enough to get the job done. Fingers crossed.

12. GypsyWannabe

GypsyWannabe Active Member

I saw these VHT tins in Autobarn at Penrith today. They were about $17 a pop.

Baz

13. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

You're getting ripped off Baz. I bought ANOTHER (I've lost count) today and it was $11.95.

14. Archeress

Archeress Active Member

hey K...how many colours do they have and do they have my bonnie's blue?

15. GypsyWannabe

That's why I didn't buy one. That and the fact that I would have had to sit at the court house with it, waiting to see if my services as a juror were required. :wtf:

Baz

16. mish13

mish13 Well-Known Member

Hi Baz they were about $15 a tin on the Gold Coast from memory, sounds like they are cheaper in Brisbane.

17. kyznet

kyznet Active Member

Kel, not sure - have a look at the brochure above. They have quite a few colours, so it could be possible, but you'll probably have to do a lot of ringing around to get lots of one particular colour. Esp if it's not black or white which they seem to have a lot of. Good luck.

18. GypsyWannabe

They had a blue at Penrith that looked close to Bonnie's.

Baz

19. Archeress

Archeress Active Member

:) Hey baz...do you see the blue that at the top of the page with kombiclub on it?....thats the blue im after...Is that penrith blue?

20. GypsyWannabe

Kelly,

I think it may have been a bit darker than that, probably closer to Bonnie's duco, perhaps somewhere in between the colour of your seats and the carpet.

Does that help?

Trouble is, I was only in Penrith for jury duty, so I don't know when I'll get out there again.

Baz