VW Campervan Conversion Types

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Deluxe, May 11, 2009.

1. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

No, we have the same as the UK spec indicators and headlights (P45t).

2. Nigel

Nigel Member

Non-standard, 1968~79 VW Type 2 direction indicators

I surmised that Australia & British specification, 1968~79 VW Type 2 headlamps and direction indicators, would probably be the same!:)

The reason I posed my question, is that the clear direction-indicator lenses, transmit an orange hue, from only part of the lamp unit, the outboard region, corresponding to where the BA9s side-marker light bulb would be, is completely colourless.

I am not keen on direction indicators with clear lenses and orange-glass envelope bulbs, which seem to be less noticeable, than lamps with orange lenses and clear bulbs!

My intention in the future, is to retro-fit some 1968~72 VW Type 2 direction-indicator lamp units, using either these, or the existing 1973 VW Type 2 direction-indicator lamp units, together with clear lenses and 20W quartz-halogen bulbs, as daytime-running lights, when their use becomes obligatory within the European Union, from circa 2011. I might even use some North American specification, VW Type 2 direction-indicator lamp units, to have both the side-light and daytime-running light functions, in the same lamp unit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  3. syncro

syncro Well-Known Member

Don't bother with the 20W quartz-halogen bulbs as they are rubbish. I bought some at great expense to improve my stop lights. I put one in and asked about ten people which was the brightest. They all said that they were the same or picked the standard bulb.

I think that LEDs will be the future.

4. Nigel

Nigel Member

I was also thinking about LEDs, which consume much less power and which seem to be the de facto light source for factory-fitted DRLs on modern cars. There are on-going developments re low-cost, high intensity white LEDs, so I will refrain from buying any for the moment.

Quartz-halogen bulbs, are not ideally suited to short-duration, intermittent use, such as brake lights or direction indicators, because the iodine and inert gas within the quartz envelope, probably doesn't have sufficient time to attain the minimum operating temperature, to inhibit filament evaporation.

5. Nigel

Nigel Member

VW Type 2 campervan conversion types

Here is a link, to some of my earlier posts to The Samba forum, about some little-known campervan conversions, which you might find of interest:

Bay Window Bus > Little-known & rare campervan conversions around the World

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=246083

6. notch65s

notch65s New Member

some of those conversions looks really spacious.

7. Nigel

Nigel Member

8. Kombi Dad

Kombi Dad Well-Known Member

My conversion was done by Modular Camping Industries, Brookvale NSW. At least that's what the sticker on the front says.

[​IMG]

9. notch65s

notch65s New Member

give us some pics of the inside of ur converison

10. Kombi Dad

I haven't got too many pics but the following will give you some idea.

The first is a fridge/stove which was located just inside the door. I have removed it to give more room and now use a portable Waeco fridge and open fire or small butane stove. The stoves reside in the trailer I tow when camping.

[​IMG]

Opposite the door is a cupboard where clothes can be hung. In the bottom of this cupboard is a area that was set aside for the second battery. I have my AGM battery in that area.

[​IMG]

Looking back from the walkthrough towards the back seat shows the rest of the cupboards. You can see what looks like a tray on the cupboard under the window. It in fact closes the hole where the sink used to be. I removed the sink as it was useless if the bed was made down. The back seat converts to a full size double bed. You can also see an aluminium strip on the front of the cupboard. This is where the table attaches. I don't use the table as the bed stays made down when I travel. I use a folding table outside the van. Much more practical. I have also converted the cupboards near the bed to be sliding (upwards). This photo still shows the cupboards hinged.

[​IMG]

There is also storage above the bed. Originally was for battens to make up the bed in the pop top. Hope this helps to give you a picture.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  11. Nigel

Nigel Member

VW Type 2 campervan conversions & upgrades

Very soon, all cars sold within the European Union, will have daytime running lights, so buying a Volvo or Saab, would be un-necessary from this standpoint. Many marques and models, are already factory-equipped with daytime running lights.

If I want to remain legal with the 1973 VW Type 2 Westfalia Continental, I will either have to drive during the daytime with my 100/80W H4 dipped beams on constantly or retro-fit some form of daytime running lights, such as the following universal kits, which were sold in Sweden, during the 1980s.

[​IMG]

The rotary knob, on the two-pane louvre window, opposite your sliding door, looks exactly like those of the three-pane louvre windows, fitted to the 1968~79 VW Type 2 Westfalia campervans!?!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  12. Kombi Dad

That's correct. Some people have mistaken it is a Westfalia conversion but no it is a Sydney conversion.

13. MattB

MattB New Member

A few months late really, but in case you were still wondering I believe that the Sunliner info you have is incorrect. I have a Sunliner '76 and did a bit of research when I got it. For as long as my dad can remember Sunliner have been located in Bayswater Victoria, one suburb over from where we live. He moved to this area around 25 years ago so that puts them there in the early to mid 80s. I have also had a few email conversations with them and from everything they've said, it seems that they have been in the area since they started in '74.

Their current contact info is:

PO Box 554
    Bayswater, Victoria 3153
    Tel: 1800 SUNLINER

Obviously not sure if it's the same as what it used to be.

Hope that gives some information on one of the less well-known conversions.

On a side note, the only two Sunline 70s conversions I known of (mine and another KC members) are in the eastern suburbs of victoria, near-ish Baywater. Doesn't specifically mean that they were made around here, but it's a chance. Also, there are LOTS of later 80s and 90s conversions in the area.

14. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

15. Nigel

Nigel Member

That front elephant-bar or mammoth-bar, looks as though it was designed for ram-raiding banks! :umm:

I for one, have never heard of this conversion.

If Madcampers's 1979 VW 18/2000 Type 2 was exported to Great Britain in circa April 2007, I would be interested to learn who bought it, so that I might be able to compile a feature article for Transporter Talk and/or Volkswagen Camper & Commercial.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  16. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

It's the only effective way of protecting the front, from wildlife impacts here..... ;)
    [​IMG]

17. Nigel

Nigel Member

It then begs the question as to how human pedestrians, cyclists and wildlife are protected from frontal impacts with these lethal projections!?!

Are vehicles equipped in this way, prohibited from urban areas or subject to much lower statutory speed limits?

18. Grantus

Grantus Well-Known Member

Well, I tend to call cyclists "boongs"..it's the noise they make as the hit the bars.

And yes, in urban areas we do have to reduce the travelling speed to the posted speed limit, or risk a speeding fine.

Luckily, most pedestrians do think twice about stepping out in front of such a moving vehicle, or have to suffer the consequences.

Sadly wildlife, don't seem to make that "think twice" decision. :(

19. mattb123

mattb123 New Member

To be honest I'll be checking if there is an easy way to remove my roo bar on the new van when driving in the city.

20. Kombi Dad

In the 12 years that I have been driving the van I have had no issues in the urban areas. I did hit a roo not too far from home and that certainly saved the front end. Certainly where I tend to travel the bar is a must have as animals tend to stray on to the roads. I do not drive at night if I can help it as around here there are far too many roos at present. The bar also doubles as a very handy place to hang towels when we are camped.

At this stage there is no law regarding the bull bar and urban driving. There are laws regarding protruding objects from the bull bar, e.g rod holders. From what I have seen this is not policed that well as many vehicles still have them fitted. Also many vehicles mount a bike across the front which also does not comply.

Ian