VW Campervan Conversion Types

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by Deluxe, May 11, 2009.

1. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

:lol: :lol: made me chuckle - great stuff Grantus

2. marcd

marcd New Member

Kombi conversions.

The moulds for the John Terry "Kombi Camper" from the 70's and also marketed as "Discoverer" are owned by a company called NoseCone Australia at Guildford NSW.
    02 9721 6300
    They have the T3 and T4 moulds as well as the T5 and sell direct to DIY and restorers/enthusiasts.The T3 has been refurbished and now has a straight roof line with no "slump" in the middle. Thought this may help.

3. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

Just ban stupid pedestrians - solves multilple issues then.

4. surfinlineup

surfinlineup New Member

hi guys , does anyone have any info about shiralee conversions i own a 1973 bay . [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Deluxe

Deluxe Active Member

Nice kombi dude! Shiralees seem to be the least known about conversion...,

6. sailor

sailor New Member

Shiralee did the roof in my van - T3 - they did the standing room extra tall for me and the canvas is a nice dark grey - great for keeping out those pesky caravan park lights !!!
    I did the interior myself as I had my own ideas as to how a camper should be laid out.
    There'll be some interior pics when I put her in the "for sale" section in a week or so.

7. where did ya get the new roof canvas made

8. Meggsie

Meggsie New Member

Another camper version -Our Dormobile Camper

This is our 1968 low light Dormobile camper conversion. not sure but believe origional PVC canopy(fern pattern) and interior just recovered and relaminated, part of benchtop was the icebox lid. found sink under benchtop 2 days after purchase by accident.
    Think this is a panelvan with wind-out windows complete with flyscreens. sorry not sure how to attach photos have a look at my gallery photos

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  9. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Hey - very nice bus you have there Meggsie. I understand that Dormobiles were made here in Oz from imported moulds and we have a plain type canvas as opposed to the British striped version.

That is a very rare and healthy looking bus.

Seeing your on the Central Coast, you will have to come along to our next meet - probably the Nationals cruise and show off your bus!

Cheers,

10. Meggsie

Meggsie New Member

Thanks for that, would love to come to the next meet, where r the nationals, we r planing on going to Old Bar, trying to book at Lanis. are you guys going.
    Cheers Renelle and Laurie

11. Syncro27

Syncro27 Well-Known Member

Old Bar is now a must do every year - although it is a long weekend so bring your wet weather gear!

The Nationals is in south western Sydney and is a great event with loads of great VW's and it is always funb to cruise down together. We usually do an early start and meet @ Kariong just after the Shell servo.

Hopefully catch you there. Keep an eye out in the "Coming Events" Section.

Cheers,

12. Meggsie

Meggsie New Member

Ha! funny u should mention long weekend and wet weather, just came home from easter camping at Manning Point (out from Old Bar) rained on and off, when will we learn!.
    would love to come to the nationals cant wait to see lots of other Kombis and cruise down with u guys, sounds like a plan.
    Renelle and Laurie

13. brindleyskombi

brindleyskombi New Member

Does anyone have a photo of a cupboard that swings out from behind the passenger seat side that enables you to cook while standing outside your van. If you have, do you have photos of how the whole thing works.:)

14. Nigel

Nigel Member

Campervan conversions

This configuration, seems reminiscent of some of the British Devon and Australian Trakker campervan conversions.

15. VeeWee

VeeWee Member

Our recently acquired '76 Camper came with the original "Volkswagen Campmobile Instruction Booklet" which explains all the features of the "Adventure" (Basic, Traveller and Deluxe packages) and the hard top "Wanderer." A quite amusing read complete with photos of the features and cartoon-like pictures of native Aussie animals eg: a kangaroo lying under a blanket with his head on a pillow, on the page explaining the upper bed.

All very interesting!!

OH!!! And also has a paragraph or two right at the end (pg 23 if anyone else has the same manual) suggesting that "These days, wherever you drive you are almost sure to see other "Campmobiles" on the move...When on the road give them a wave, or if you share the same campsite say a friendly "hello." " and so on.

The KOMBI - or CAMPMOBILE - WAVE!!! :lol:

16. saabman

saabman Well-Known Member

You need to scan a coulple of pages and put them up!

17. Nigel

Nigel Member

It might also make an interesting feature in Transporter Talk magazine! :) ;)

18. VeeWee

VeeWee Member

Hey Saabman & Nigel... I'll see what I can do re scanning and posting pages etc...

Nigel, what do you need for your mag? I could probably scan/copy the pages and send them to you email or snail mail... :)

19. Nigel

Nigel Member

VW Campmobile manual

I shall have to consult with Carol Jarvis, Transporter Talk Editor, but in general, high-resolution scans in either JPEG or TIF formats, attached to an e-mail, are said to be the preferred options. Snail mail, from Australia to Great Britain, could be very expensive! :eek:

As a guide, how many pages of what page size, are there in the Campmobile manual?

I am still trying to sort out with Carol, various other article contributions, from around the World, but she is so busy with her family, full-time job and other Club commitments, it is sometimes difficult to pin her down. Hence, I try to sort out most of the details and alternative options first and then submit them for final approval.

20. VeeWee

VeeWee Member

There are about 25 pages including the covers. The booklet is an A5 size, thick paper, basically black print on white with a few purple highlights. (Why purple, one asks???!!)

Still haven't scanned the pages -VERY sorry, but will do so over the weekend when I get a minute to breathe without a 3 year old dropping Lego blocks or cars on the computer!!