VW Heritage

Discussion in 'Kombi Club' started by vwkj87, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

try costing a parcel from the uk to aus containing 2 bumpers! you got off cheap at $250.

2. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

As far as I am aware all postage or freight costs are based on a cubic measurement rounded up.
    So if it's bumpers or odd shaped items then curves & swerves are squared from extremity to extremity :eek::rolleyes::p then they go from there :confused:

3. melissa

melissa Administrator Staff Member

Not true - they can charge whatever they want.
    I am looking at a calendar for a christmas present - yes, you know the ones that are 30cm X 30cm - coming from the USA, the calendar is $20 and the postage is $30

4. ruby6689

ruby6689 Super Moderator Staff Member

US postage is a joke. I often see things I would like fro the US but the postage just kills it.

Syncro27 likes this.
  5. twincabay

twincabay Active Member

That sounds like shipping not postage. You can look up the postage on USPS and its quite reasonable much cheaper than APO. Trouble is lots sellers in the states prefer `not to take a trip to the P.O. and get DHL or UPS to pick it up its easier for them but expensive for you.
    some of the US parts suppliers will use USPS on request and its so much cheaper but as i said its their effort and your savings.

syncro likes this.
  6. Mellow Yellow 74

Mellow Yellow 74 Active Member

Or you can use a local shipping service in the country where you are buying - the vendor sends to them and they send to you, usually at much cheaper rates than the vendors

7. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

companies charge whatever they want but actual freight charges are based on cubic volume normally as this is higher than cubic weight. We are are air freighting a 110cm x 110cm x 140cm pallet from the uk and it will cost over $3000 and thats with a business account.

Anything that is over 1m long really blows out freight charges and anything under 1m can be quite reasonable.

8. Luckyphil

Luckyphil Well-Known Member

Wow that is expensive. Lowrida just brought back from the USA a full T3 factory body kit including bumpers and hardware as well as a set of splitty steel bumpers as luggage in the hold of his flight home. perhaps he might divulge how much excess luggage that worked out to be? :)

9. beerboy

beerboy Active Member

bloody hell kai what did the boss wifes need in such a hurry ;-) what was wrong with a container...

10. beerboy

beerboy Active Member

He was game. I am sure it wasnt cheap

11. KahunaKombi

Charged costs may include handling also = P&H ..... they have to pay their staff to pack so buyer pays for that :eek:

12. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

just parts that have been out of stock for a while and have waiting customers. Finally come back into stock and i think it would be nice to get them to customers before year end.

A container is 6 weeks on the water and a week at the docks from the UK.

13. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Larger parcels nearly never cover the actual freight charge, more than likely smaller parcels are charged what it would actually cost a company to send.

14. twincabay

twincabay Active Member

I have found US is cheaper than the UK to ship IF its USPS DHL UPS is a lottery

15. PICT

PICT Member

I've used VW heritage quite a lot, never had a problem yet, it's usually cheaper and quicker to get things to Perth than from the East coast, same with CIP1.com & busdepot.com

16. KahunaKombi

Got some things for the Type3 ...... what the cost was from the US allowed me to actually get 2 sets of what I required from UK and still change + delivery was quicker than anything I've ordered from the US ...... everyones experience will be different = if it's something you have to have and can't find anywhere else then pay what you have to pay :p

17. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

I find depends on where it is made,if it's made in USA or mexico Brazil it's cheaper to get from USA. If made in Europe cheaper from UK or Netherlands etc