VWs @ The Berry Patch on again Feb 25 2017

Discussion in 'Tasmania' started by Onslo, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Onslo

Onslo New Member

It's on again. Saturday February 25th.
    Car show and swap meet all afternoon and the evening will include live music by Halfway to Forth with a feast of wood fired pizzas.
    If you bring a boxer VW and you arrive before 12am you get a free pass to the evening. Free camping for exhibitors. Bring your Kombi, beetle, Type 3 or other interesting beast and any bits you want to sell or swap.

combiclaire likes this.
  2. Tracy Connell

Tracy Connell New Member

Hi peeps,
    I am new to the club, and excited to camp out at the Berry Patch this year.
    My baby is a 1979 Auto pop top, I have just started to pull out water damaged cupboards and floor etc so
    I thought a trip to the Berry Patch would be great for some ideas on what to do.
    Any tips for a newbie about the event? Are critters allowed???

3. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

Tracy, welcome to the party that never ends ;)
    I've no idea about this event in Tasmania so your best bet is to check back regularly for other posts.

4. KahunaKombi

KahunaKombi Super Moderator Staff Member

5. Tracy Connell

Tracy Connell New Member

Thank you for the link it was a great help

6. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

A very good event, one of the only VW events in Tasmania at all, but hopefully they have taken on board some feedback from last year. They made some changes to the previous format which not everyone was impressed by, but given the amount of work and money they put in, not totally uncalled for, but apparently not much warning for at least non locals.

A number of people who traveled a reasonable distance based on the year before were unprepared for the new (and some thought unreasonably high) charges for a previously free event and a $5 each flat charge rather than a gold coin donation arrangement for public entry. Gets expensive for a family. The evening spit roast was free for the driver but $40 for each extra person, (in our case with 2 older teenagers, one who can't eat spit roast food anyway, the cost was $120) as well as the restaurant was closed so the spit roast the only on site food.

A lot of people want something for nothing, and the organisers quite rightly want something in return, but they may have gone a little too far too quickly and turned some people off what was one of the few chances they had to get together with the VW community. It doesn't matter what you do, you will always put someone's nose out of joint when you change things. All up it comes down to supporting what you have, so if you don't support it, don't whinge when it is gone.

Adrian

grumble, oldman, cbus and 1 other person like this.
  7. StevieVW

StevieVW Well-Known Member

Too true

8. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Well put and I totaly agree Adrian.
    Hopefuly some chat evens things out and it develops to its potential.

Col

grumble likes this.
  9. Mordred

I have been informed that my price might have been a little of with the spit roast at $30 each and there was pizza. Regardless it was a unreasonable amount imho.

Adrian

10. grumble

grumble Active Member

We were on fire reading Berry until read a few posts and found it was Tassie,bugger we don't have that much time as it is sailing season.:rolleyes: Good luck, as much as my wife and I would love to come unfortunately it is not possible but all the best for a great event. Cheers Les and Neryl

11. Onslo

Onslo New Member

Sorry you think it is unreasonable Adrian, we don't.

It is entirely free for anyone exhibiting an old VW. No charge... Free entry... Free camping... and this year for no charge you can bring a swap table.
    The evening event does however have a charge, if you wish to attend. Some prefer to simply camp and do there own thing that means the whole day and night for them is FREE.

For those attending the feast it included all you can eat spit roasts, salads, wood fired pizzas and live music, for $30 per head. Every one exhibiting a vehicle got a free pass to this evening including the live music. This year we have Halfway To Forth playing, an amazing local act. ($30 to hear HTF any where else is expected and reasonable).

How this is funded is the public were asked to pay $5 for a day pass to view the exhibit. This also included some kids activities, the use of The Berry Patch play area etc. Definitely the cheapest car show in our area...

We run this event because we love our Vee Dubs and we love the community and the fun of the night. I can assure you that the whole idea of the event is to give back and to make it an enjoyable and affordable experience, particularly for those bringing the vehicles along. It costs us a lot to supply the staff, food and entertainment and a gold coin donation left us well out of pocket. It would be nice if your inaccurate costs and claims were removed.

StevieVW likes this.
  12. larrywaves

larrywaves Member

We will be Tassy then. Do you have to book to get a camping site?

13. StevieVW

not previously.

I'm counting down

14. Mordred

I am sorry if you took my comments the wrong way. I have been involved in many such activities and know the problems with finding ways to make it pay for itself and when you have to pay staff. As I also said it is one of the very few VW events in Tassie and needs support for it to continue. I highly recommend this event to every one. The effort put in is tremendous and a gold coin donation is obviously not enough, it was the lack of that information before hand that made things difficult for some. I just think that the fund raising for it needs to be spread across a larger base.

Also you would have to agree if you want support from Tasmanians you need to allow them to include their families and the older kids. Too many car clubs forget them, especially the ones with kids past the jumping castle stage but not old enough to drive, and the thing to remember is they are the future (and not too distant future) of the VW community. Giving them a chance to be a part of it is the way to do it, and making it attractive to bring them along will help.

The problem I was alluding to with the evening was the cost to a family as it was $30 each excepting the driver. For those with a family it would make them think again to spend nearly $100 on spit roast food that a reasonable percentage of kids don't eat and if they do not in the amounts that constitute reasonable value. A family price would have helped with that, and making the driver pay isn't a big issue, and would even out any loss from providing a family ticket. $5 entry a car to display your car would help for a start, and is used at a lot of shows regardless. $10 a campsite isn't unreasonable either as you pay $25 to $30 for an unpowered site at most caravan parks. $5 entry for the public adults to see things and kids under 12 free would help too.

If you read what I said you would see that I was not knocking the event, just trying to identify some areas where it may have room to improve. The turn out was considerably less than last year. There was a lack of accurate information available before hand, especially on Facebook where it was suggested it was a free meal, but not only for the driver. For non locals who had spent hours travelling and costs in fuel expecting a similar event to the previous year, it put a few noses out of joint.

There are immeasurable ways to organise funds, and as many ways that people will disagree on the ways to do it. A happy medium is out there somewhere and I am sure it will be found. I am still coming and spreading the news that it is worth going to.

If you have a copy of the flyer with the details why don't you post it here? I can assure you there a quite a few in the south who would love to go but don't know enough about it.

Adrian

StevieVW and cbus like this.
  15. StevieVW

Multi vehicle discount.....

16. cbus

cbus Well-Known Member

Advantage of tassie country living.
    The kids can drive spare one with no licence. ;)

StevieVW likes this.
  17. StevieVW

Driver swap once you get off the public road.....

18. galp

galp Member

Great event last year and would be hard to beat
    two adults and two children at a restaurant $100 plus
    makes the berry patch simple and economical
    the organiser is trying to promote more car entries to his event