1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning lights"??

Discussion in 'Bay Tech Clinic' started by MeMatt, Jan 26, 2021.

1. MeMatt

MeMatt Member

Alright brains trust... long story.
    Bought the T2 a few months ago, all dash lights were ok some days and no go on other days... Then blinker light stopped working, as did high beam... wasnt worried as dont really need them. Lol. But then the dash light stopped as did the oil and alternator lights.... pulled them out and realised I didnt label them. Replaced the dash light. Worked fine.
    Did some multi-meter work and sorted the blinker and high beam but nothing on the other two. Read that cause they are in series they may not all work.
    Bought a few simple led lights and wired/earthed them in... have high beam and blinker working fine. But the alternator light seems to come on after 10seconds and stays on. Battery is charging at 12.4 to 12.8...... At what Volts should the light be on?

Oh.... I think its the alternator light......

2. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

Have you got a wire chart to check that you have your wires around the correct way. Have you changed the bulbs in your dash cluster to LED?

3. MeMatt

MeMatt Member

I left my printouts at work... Will collect in a few days and keep going.

I tried led's in the original set up... Played around for over an hour... No success.

4. Mordred

Mordred Super Moderator Staff Member

You seem very low on charge from the alternator. You need the correct globe as it allows the alternator to charge. Can’t use an LED for that. Voltage should be 13.8v or close to it. Pull the cable off the oil pressure switch and the one that goes out will be it. The other should be the alternator light. (Blue cable, oil pressure is blue green)

Adrian

5. MeMatt

MeMatt Member

6. Wayne murray

Wayne murray Well-Known Member

On the back of the dash cluster, as you put the globe socket into it's housing, there is a tab (with metal on it)on the globe socket that stays on the outside of the back of the metal dash cluster which earths them. So as you turn the globe socket in it's houising to keep it in place that tab (with metal on it) stays in contact with the back side of the dash cluster. There is also push on wire connectors as well which earth wires back of the dash to other devices

7. MeMatt

MeMatt Member

The globe allows the Alt to charge... How so, does it complete the circuit?
    If so, I will have to keep playing....

8. MeMatt

MeMatt Member

So, just quickly before leaving for work, used a test light. Power at fuse 11 and 12 but no power at oil or Alt dash lights. Power at blinker dash light..

And it wouldnt crank properly.... Not enuf charge. Had to take the wife's car.

Looks like I know what Im doing this weekend....

Barry likes this.
  9. Mordred

The alternator light provides a voltage source to excite the rotor in the alternator (via the regulator)when the ignition is turned on, and that produces the magnetic field that then produces the voltage in the stator. Once the alternator is running(via the engine turning) voltage, the alternator supplies its own voltage source to the regulator on the same wire and the light goes out because the 2 voltage sources cancel each other out (not because there is no voltage at the globe).

Check those black cable connections behind the dash as they should all have 12v on them. The black is not an earth in this case.

Adrian

alt diagram

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Wayne murray, MeMatt and Barry like this.
  10. MeMatt

MeMatt Member

Thanks Adrian. I will now step thru each item carefully. Hopefully find some T5 globes too.

11. MeMatt

MeMatt Member

Well I had a win! Thanks to the Kombi Guru's....
    My dash isnt providing a good enuf connection so I had to rewire to allow the original warning lights to work.
    Jump started the bus and its all good. 10mins later 13.5volts.

Mordred, Barry, David H and 3 others like this.
  12. Mordred

Great bit of detective work. All it needs is a bit of understanding.

Adrian

MeMatt likes this.